Tank Journal Archive

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Elias' 2ft Cube
Ok Peoples, here it is. Now can you all PLEASE stop nagging :)

Just for the record, this will probably be the lamest TJ on the site, but at least I have one up, and it's kinda gonna be mid-stream as it's been up an running now for a few months and I never really catalogued anything to date other than water params and dosing schedules.

Introduction:
System Objectives: Low Tech, Back-To-Basics Approach

Type of reef: Mixed LPS

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 16 October 2012

Display Tank Dimensions: 2ft cube (or close enough)

Display Lighting: E-Shine 60W Blue/White LED

Stand: Enclosed Cabinet

Hood or Rimless: Rimeless

Sump Design: Original HaiYang 3 Chamber

Additional Technology: Reef Octopus Bio-Pellet Reactor running Vertex Bio-Pellets at approx 1/4 recommended rate.
Phosban Reactor running Rowaphos. Using this to mop up residual phosphate as I am turning out to be Nitrate Limited.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: ASW - Red Sea Coral Pro. I've had a fair bit of drama with this salt with precipitation and clouding, but it's worth the extra steps IMO

Display Water circulation: Korallia 12,000

Return Pump: Aqua Medic Ocean Runner 2500

Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 500 (new version)

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze ATO

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: Red Sea

Alkilinity Addition: Sodium Bicarbonate - 1 teaspoon every alternate day

Magnesium Addition: Red Sea - Never really need to dose though

Coral Food Addition: Frozen Cyclops and Decapsulated Artemia

IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It may be a the grass is greener on the other side, but I think any reefer on this site would be more than proud of a tank like this

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Just a quick question, on your Trachyphyllia does it have like a little button under the A shaped hood at the front?
Just wondering if they are all the same.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Lovely tank, love that rock structure raised off teh sand like that! And yes, some really nice acans!

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Dave - I haven't really noticed to be honest, will give it a bit of a tickle to close up and I'll let you know.
Andy - Yes, yes I know. And don't forget, you're partly to blame for some of that acan horde.
Pete - Thanks. The rock got dumped in as soon as I got it home. It was acquired as established rock from a top bloke down the road from me. The criteria was that it was out of water for a total of no more than an hour, so playing around when I got it home had to be done after it was wet again. Funnily enough, after I stepped back, I kinda liked how it looked. It's had minimal tweeking since.

Here's a pic of the tank the day the rock went in:
IMG_1528.jpg

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Ok, so this little critter comes out of the same rock, every night, well after all the lights have gone out. Sorry, pretty hard to photograph. Any ideas anyone??

image.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
No idea :) Its cool though, I have simlar looking things sticking out of a monti but they are normally out all day.

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
defintely not a brittle star... pic is cappy and it's hard to see, sorry. Those appentages are about 5cm long, covered in super fine hairs, stand rigid when they are extend (they don't flail around at all), and they actually curl in and out as it's feeding. I'll have to try and get creative and find a way to video it in low light. I tried a red light on it the other night but it was even sensitive to that and retracted.