Reef Discussion

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Feedback On Hydra
Ive been asked by a LFS to provide a feedback on this product, and document its effect etc....wondering whether anyone's got one installed, opinions/experiences, before I commit ?

ai1079.photobucket.com_albums_w515_bluebolts_9fb81e50ef90e29aef1f207290eb4ca1.jpg

Features
  • The Hydra Stream units do not filter particulates. They are designed as a flow through system to be attached as a water purifier attached to a main filter, in large aquariums, ponds or public aquariums.
  • Inline filters needs external water pump
  • Effectively controls nitrite and nitrate by eliminating ammonia with groundbreaking Hydro-Pure technology.
  • Ultra High Efficiency.
  • Stable Water Quality.
  • Environmentally Friendly.
  • Chemical Free process.
  • Simple setup and operation
  • Easy to pull apart and clean.
Hydro-Pure Technology Process
awww.theaquariumshop.com.au_images_content_Hydra_Diagram2.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I think we chatted about these on the forum before. I don't think anyone could find anything from the company that stated the actual process on how it works. It just seemed like one of those 'to good to be true' things. I would loved to be proved wrong though!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I think I have seen these at Coburg aquarium. They put it on a tank in the display area and were swearing by it.
I am a little skeptical.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes, there have been a few discussions about this product - have a read of these

http://thereefuge.com/threads/opinions-on-hydro-pure-technology-filters.10264/
http://thereefuge.com/threads/hydra-internal-filter.8615/

We had some great input from a chemist in the second thread :)

This was my comment at the time

I don't know if this works as claimed or it is just more smoke and mirrors. What I do know is that there is little discussion of this product on the net which, for a product that has been on the market for almost 2 years, may tell you something. Either their marketing stinks, or the product does.
@BlueBolts - a review would be great if you were able to get hold of a unit. I think a lot of us want to believe but want to see some evidence first.

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Thanks for all the comments and feedback.... I'll be picking this unit up this week and will journal the events.

What WP/test, and/or information do I need to share to ensure this review remains theoritically correct and legit ?

E

ezza

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.... I'll be picking this unit up this week and will journal the events.

What WP/test, and/or information do I need to share to ensure this review remains theoritically correct and legit ?
What came of this @BlueBolts ?

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Assessed for 6 months and found no improvement with the lowering of nitrates. Difficult to totally dismiss its claims, as I'm a constant tinkerer.