Help / Suggestions

HELP! topic
Hi all.. as ive just posted a help message it got me to thinking..
could a "HELP?!" topic be implimented instead of finding the correct area.. to put it in.. like corals or hardware or fish etc.. a general "ER" of sorts to deal with things like.. "is it dead already?" or "my fish is floating upside down.. is it ok?" sort of questions..

Would become a good go to topic for people in need and also for people wanting to help without searching through a bunch of topics..

thoughts?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi Grug,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by a help topic... The forums are here so information is quick to find (such as new threads posted). If there is a single thread for multiple references of information, pinpointing the exact thing you are looking for would be difficult to find. You can use the sites search engine which is pretty powerful.

Or do you perhaps mean a help thread for each topic?

Sorry I did not understand exactly what you suggested.

Thanks.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I think he means like a health help area.. a kind of ER where noobs can go to find out info such as those he stated above ;) not sure if he means it should be a new area, or just a new topic

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
If that is the case, we can just put medical things in the wiki articles. So you have Fish name, tank requirement, medical stuff, etc. That way it will be extremely fast to find all the information.

Thoughts?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i think what grug means is a "Thread" that people can use for a quick and easy place for noobs to post as it is often easier to do this then for them to create a thread for a topic that has probably been asked alot of times. (remembering most people dont like to use search)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Yes, but by doing that it is making information extremely difficult to find. You can create a thread called "Fish" and the thread may have 2000 pages of posts in it. Because every post is a reply, how are you to find exactly what you are looking for? It makes things extremely difficult.

I understand that it can work well, as to not clog up the forums with the same question. However, questions may be asked in there that have not been asked before, and the information will not be easy to find.

Yeah.. more of a place to post something and get a quick answer.. rather than a topic to be returned to as a reference.. (sure search will bring it up later on .. and that will just be a bonus) but if i have a reefing disaster.. id like a place to post that disaster in the knowledge that its not getting buried in a topic.. sort of an emergency room.. i post a disaster and get a response sooner than if i was to post it in the relevant topic and hope that someone stumbles across it at some stage.. :S

Does this help?? i think i could explain this over voice better than text at the moment.. but thats coz its late and im tired.. :(

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi Grug,

If you want to give it a shot go for it. Nothing to lose, but it will not achieve what you are trying to do. If it does work though, then kudos on the idea :)

Thanks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think Grug is thinking about a thread where you can post if you have an urgent question and you can hopefully get a quick response. I had one last week where I needed an answer within 30 minutes - any longer was too late. I titled it 'Urgent Question *****************' - Grug is just looking to have a permanent thread that members can add too. I see where he is coming from - we would probably need to make it a sticky so it stays at the top.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Yeah.. more of a place to post something and get a quick answer.. rather than a topic to be returned to as a reference.. (sure search will bring it up later on .. and that will just be a bonus) but if i have a reefing disaster.. id like a place to post that disaster in the knowledge that its not getting buried in a topic.. sort of an emergency room.. i post a disaster and get a response sooner than if i was to post it in the relevant topic and hope that someone stumbles across it at some stage.. :S

Does this help?? i think i could explain this over voice better than text at the moment.. but thats coz its late and im tired.. :(
i like the idea. i do similar things on computer forums :D

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

How about I add an "URGENT" forum within the General Reef Related forum. That way when it is updated, users can check it?

Thanks.

Thanks people.. you found the words i was looking for.. :) if it works. i stake my name to it.. if it doesnt.. ill think harder before suggesting.. :p but yeah.. a "please help me ASAP if you can section" would be what im aiming for. :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Hi everyone,

How about I add an "URGENT" forum within the General Reef Related forum. That way when it is updated, users can check it?

Thanks.
I think this is what Grug was wanting in the first place... An urgent/help forum could be used like a triage where the problem/question can be dealt with ASAP and then if the urgency passes but there is still good valuable information in the thread it can be moved into the appropriate forum to keep the ER clean, relevant and up to date

MagicJ thats just wrong.. i mean.. if we had a nude dancing couple (male and female) the question would be answered faster.. males would answer faster to get the naked guy off their screen.. and females would do the same.. :)
Be good to the lady members.. Remember .. females can see the colours of our test kits better than we can .. we dont want them to start lying to us.. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Seriously though, I think this thread is a perfect example of what can happen on The Reefuge. Someone has a request, it gets fleshed out and refined a bit and, if it can be done, it gets done. We may find that, in time, it doesn't work as expected but thats all part of an evolving forum.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
MagicJ show your wife what you just posted so she can give you a slap for us :p And while you have brought up the colour thing Grug (hats off to you too on that one! Learn from him Magic, he he) there is NO... SUCH... THING as a blue morph, they are purple.... PURPLE! What were we talking about again?