Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
How much better are new skimmers?
I currently have a Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 Multi SL skimmer on my 4x2x2 - I have had it for over 8 years.

This is what it looks like for those not familiar with this skimmer:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/multiSLw.jpg

I have nothing to compare it too, although it does pull out half a collection cup of dark, smelly stuff every week albeit in a lightly stocked tank.

My question is, are modern designed skimmers significantly better than a skimmer such as this? The important word here is significant - a small improvement in efficiency would not be money well spent. I am not looking to compare it to the high end skimmers (which this obviously is not :)) but to the 'middle of the road' type.

Has anyone had an old skimmer and noticed a significant improvement when they replaced it with a newer design?

Appreciate any comments.

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I love skimmers and have tried many. I have never gone to the top end for skimmers and the most expensive 1 i have used thus far is my current 1. ATI powercone 250.

It is the best 1 I have had, for 2 reasons. 1. It is low power consumption and 2. the pump and needlewheel is a modern design which works.

The thing I have found with skimmers is the pump is the key. Get a good pump you get a good skimmer. There are many advances in this area but some have had huge issues as well.

Stick with trusted brands IMO. Reef Octopus, Bubble Magus, Marine Sources all provide an affordable skimmer that will do the job, but probably no better than what you have now.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
If it aint broke dont fix it... I have been reading a lot about skimmers, and Im no expert, but a lot of people are having a lot of success using cheaper/older skimmers. They just dont feel the need to rattle on about them, like some people with their big dollar skimmers!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
the bubble kings , royal exlusives, atbs seem to be rather bullet proof from what i have been researching. was looking for a new skimmer for my display.
what budget did you have in mind?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
the bubble kings , royal exlusives, atbs seem to be rather bullet proof from what i have been researching. was looking for a new skimmer for my display.
what budget did you have in mind?
Out of my price bracket I'm afraid.

I was thinking around $400 - I was looking at some of the Skimz when they first came out.

But, is my current skimmer not pulling out a lot because of my low stocking levels (I only have 4 fish and plan on only getting another 3 which will all be relatively small) or because my existing skimmer is old and crap??

I am looking to get some new pumps and maybe this is a better place to spend my limited $$.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
shane if i was you i would be putting those pennys away and save up for somthing of higher quality. if it doesent need to be replaced dont replace it. :rolleyes

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I have an Aqua Medic same as you.....was tormented by the choice, have nothing to compare it with and have only cycled, but I have found it so easy to use and clean

Tank is 4'4" x 2' x 2'6" hope it will continue to do the trick.

Am planning on a zebra moray so guess I'll soon find out.

Tang

Jul 21, 2011
Sydney
From experience the Turboflotor 1000's are really a POS. No offence guys. Lower end of the spectrum stuff like Bubble Magus or even Skimz will definitely out perform it.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
What the Tang lover said. The technology now at the very bottom end of the spectrum will easily outperform most anything from a few years ago.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
From experience the Turboflotor 1000's are really a POS. No offence guys. Lower end of the spectrum stuff like Bubble Magus or even Skimz will definitely out perform it.
No offence taken :DThis is the only skimmer I have used for the past 5 years + and I have nothing else to compare it too so your experiences are welcome.