Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Ich. No No No
Hey all.

So I noticed a tiny little white patch on my clown and when I combined that with my blenny periodically scratching up against the rocks...

It MUST be ICH.

what do I do? Important note, I have inverts. Ahhhh.

I'm so disappointed. :(

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Got any pictures? A "patch" doesn't sound like Ich. Ich looks like tiny spots speckled over your fish.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
First thing to do is calm down! If fish are sick with anything, stress = dead!

Second pictures would help people here advise a best approach!

Most of the time it is a case of just hope they recover naturally but you can aid this with diet changes to build immune system like adding garlic, spiraluna and a few other things.

But post some pics and settle down! Your nose in their face and hand in the tank won't help!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Personally I would not do anything about it. If your fish are weak they will die.
First time I medicated my tank for ICH they all died.
Last time the tank got ICH I did not treat it and they all survived. - my 2 cents -
I chose not to treat the tank due to keeping SPS coral.
As their keeper you'll have to figure it out

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Okay, so i have calmed down a bit!

This is a photo here... it is on the black-er clown on its tail near the smaller one's head.
image1.PNG

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Could it be lymphocystis? My clownfish had this a couple of years ago and it just went away after a few weeks.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
@Dean Lovett
If your photo is the white bulbous thing on the end of his tail only, I don't believe thats ich. I have had ICH and it looks totally different. If you imagined getting a salt grinder and grinding salt onto a black piece of paper, thats what ICH looks like. It is fine grains, that eventually cover the fish completely. ICH starts mainly in their gills but will generally be first noticed by us humans on the side fins.
Keep an eye on him, but I don't honestly believe its any ICH ive see or dealt with.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hard to tell from the pic but bear in mind that grazes and scrapes often look white. If its that kind of damage you should see it improve drastically over the next 2-3 days

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Right, So this all makes me feel better. I wont seek pharmaceutical intervention yet.

I will try and get a better photo tonight.

He is still in great spirits and eating and attacking me.

Everyone seems fine.

But i have noticed the Blenny scratching up against the wall every now and then...

Last edited:

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
If you haven't already got one, it might be a good time for you to get your hands on a quarantine tank. You might also buy yourself a refractometer.

If the fish get worse and it becomes evident they really do have white spot, I'd suggest you try the hyposalinity treatment mthod. There's a good article on this website or MASA. I got my pair of clowns through it. I did have a tiger blenny that died during the treatment though.

Since having performed the treatment I have not experienced a problem with white spot. This definitely makes me think that while white spot might be in everyone's tank, there must be more aggressive strains of white spot that can be introduced with new fish. I think this because the time I had white spot I had never had a problem with it prior and when it hit it hit so hard, but once I'd eliminated it, there was no problems.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
Hi,

Let's put some facts in place, then some educated guesses.

Facts

• Unlike "ich" which is a freshwater disease, what we call marine ich is actually a parasite (Cryptocaryon irritans) and it never goes away on its own. The symptons may disappear but the parasite doesn't. I've included a diagram about the parasite below and a great article about treatment options here. Be very careful to read the dangers of copper and be aware it is absorbed by rock, substrate and even some types of silicon.
  • If you treat for Cryptocaryon irritans it MUST be done in a hospital tank regardless of treatment.
  • As @Tannum_Paul said, stress is a fish's worst enemy so chill a little if you can :)
  • Also if you can, reduce lighting as this is said to reduce stress on fish.
  • Cryptocaryon irritans looks a little like salt as already stated by others, imagine it as small white pimples, beginning as little bigger than a pin prick.
  • One of the best things you can do right now, regardless of what it is, is to maintain the best possible water quality without any radical swings to stress the fish and add garlic to the fish diet. Juice from a jar of minced garlic will do in a pinch, just soak food in it or mix a little with food.
Now some educated guesses. It is indeed impossible to diagnose even reasonably well from those photos but from what can be seen in them, it looks more like injury to me - with possibly the beginnings of a fungal infection on the black and white fish.

Until diagnosed confidently as Cryptocaryon irritans, there's little point treating for that but there are dangers if you do as it will stress fish further.

My best advice would be to take it to a trusted LFS for diagnosis or ask an experienced reefer to come for coffee and take a look. Beware of any LFS more interested in selling a cure, than giving you advice.

In the meantime I would lean toward injury treatment and in this case I personally would treat with garlic, Melafix AND Pimafix (or similar natural products) to cover all bases. For what it's worth I always keep these products on hand, they are one of the areas where API does it well (unlike test kits). These products can be used in the display or as a dip but work best in a hospital tank (HT).

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

3.jpg

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
If you haven't already got one, it might be a good time for you to get your hands on a quarantine tank. You might also buy yourself a refractometer.

If the fish get worse and it becomes evident they really do have white spot, I'd suggest you try the hyposalinity treatment mthod. There's a good article on this website or MASA. I got my pair of clowns through it. I did have a tiger blenny that died during the treatment though.

Since having performed the treatment I have not experienced a problem with white spot. This definitely makes me think that while white spot might be in everyone's tank, there must be more aggressive strains of white spot that can be introduced with new fish. I think this because the time I had white spot I had never had a problem with it prior and when it hit it hit so hard, but once I'd eliminated it, there was no problems.
I too prefer this method. It eliminated the outbreak I had permanently.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
The only problems I see with hyposalinity treatment is that you have to catch and remove all your fish from the display tank and you have to set up an additional medical tank.

The benefits include;
1. Actually reducing the salinity in the medical tank and maintaing the water quality in that tank whilst treating the fish is an interesting learning experience in itself.
2. You display tank is left barren for several months so you know you have eliminated white spot in the display tank.
3. You are forced to keep a coral-only tank for a while; you get to view your corals living in the Display tank without any fish-related pressure. This is interesting in itself.
4. I think once you've eliminated the white spot you are starting with a clean slate.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
More than likely what you're seeing is Lymphocystis which will go away on its own. Ich looks like someone sprinkled salt on the fish.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
  • Unlike "ich" which is a freshwater disease, what we call marine ich is actually a parasite (Cryptocaryon irritans) ...
Just a minor thing, but isn't freshwater ich caused by Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, a protozoan the same as Cryptocaryon irritans ? My understanding is that they are both ectoparasites i.e. they both live on the outside of the host.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
The only problems I see with hyposalinity treatment is that you have to catch and remove all your fish from the display tank and you have to set up an additional medical tank.

The benefits include;
1. Actually reducing the salinity in the medical tank and maintaing the water quality in that tank whilst treating the fish is an interesting learning experience in itself.
2. You display tank is left barren for several months so you know you have eliminated white spot in the display tank.
3. You are forced to keep a coral-only tank for a while; you get to view your corals living in the Display tank without any fish-related pressure. This is interesting in itself.
4. I think once you've eliminated the white spot you are starting with a clean slate.
Just a minor thing, but isn't freshwater ich caused by Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, a protozoan the same as Cryptocaryon irritans ? My understanding is that they are both ectoparasites i.e. they both live on the outside of the host.
Probably right about the freswhwater, I haven't really dabbled in fresh stuff for 20 years so a lot of thinking has changed.

Your second point is the one where most people muck up. You are absolutely correct and depending on which school of thought you go with, current thinking is that the tank must remain fallow (fish) for an absolute minimum of 8 weeks. So as you rightly point out, there's no point treating only fish displaying symptoms. All fish have to be treated to break the life cycle and that applies to all treatment methods.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Yep, you must go through the whole 8-12 week process. In my experience, during hyposalinity treatment the whitespot came back no less than three times during the treatment (as part of the life cycle of white spot) and each time it hit the fish really hard. So, if you commenced treatment and after a few weeks thought you had ridden the fish free of white spot, you'd get a very rude shock once the white spot entered its next cycle.

Anyway, if Dean's fish simply has a bacterial infection, then we probably should be discussing Dean's hygiene and water quality at this stage.

What's your tanks stats atm Dean?