Tank Journal Archive

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Issue Log
22/5/14

Tank is cloudy. Fish seem absolutely fine, dun cans look a little sad. Seems to be coming from the macro area in my fuge.... hopefully this is not a massive plant spawn that will fill the tank with caulurpa babies as I'll be quite shitted off.

Tested for
ammonia: 0
Ph: 7.8 (morning value)

Things changed from normal: Added a small dose of seachem plus and seachem trace, and 10 drops of silica supplement.

The only thing looking off at this stage is the grape caulurpa in the sump which is a bit saggy and soft compared to normal. I've added some coral snow and a cap full of prime just in case.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Interesting you say this, the other morning my RSM130 was cloudy. Did a test, all parameters in the right spot... Cleared up and looked great a few hours later!?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Cloudy water usually means a bacteria bloom of some sort, may be something you added to the water.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Interesting you say this, the other morning my RSM130 was cloudy. Did a test, all parameters in the right spot... Cleared up and looked great a few hours later!?
I've been adding coral snow every other day. Also adding nualgi once a week.

The glass was very dirty this evening, thick with algae. I think you're right @RobbieMVFC might be a bacteria bloom from the coral snow, nualgi, and latest seachem product additions.

Might need to take the phos reactor online again.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Bubble algae is out of control...:cry time to pull the finger out and spend some quality time with a scalpel. I'm not too enthused at the idea. Everything has been suggested from urchins to tangs. Tank is a bit too small for them though. this explosion has been correlated with the addition of nualgi so I'm not sure if the availability of nutrients is fuelling this or not. Most people still get them even when parameters are in check so it's not quite clear to me what they thrive on.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Plenty of bubble algae and the tank gets a bit of nori every 3 days or so for the abalone.

It's a little exciting the prospect of another cute fishy. Will have to pop it into the larger tanks when it gets too big (if I can catch the bugger).

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Excellent, hoping the poor bastard doesn't grow too fast! Will give me a fun trip on monday, I might swing past the dreaded west of melbourne to explore the fish shops there.

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Holly, can you get access to some chaeto, and get rid of the caluerpa? Chaeto is such a better algae for nutrient export anyways, and the issues with caluerpa are just too risky for this little reefer :(

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Hey, I do have cheato in my sump as well. If any of the caulerpa makes it into the top I am absolutely positive the fish will be gobbling it up, as there is a tang and a lawnmower blenny that are constantly picked at the rock. The abalone is also a algae piggy. I definitely see your point though. I think it's great to pass onto others for new tanks to bump up the pods/worms/etc. I have to trim it down every month or so to keep it from taking over too much.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Have now got a considerable problem with cyano (red type) on the bottom left of the tank sand. Had about a week. There is also considerable detritus in the water column. Filter socks have been put on, cleaned and replaced. I've placed a biopellet reactor on the system to start to consume bacteria as I clearly have a nutrient issue from the nualgi, sachem plus and regular feeding. Po4 was down to .04 (red sea kit) but clearly there is organic phosphates in adequate supply.

The new rabbitfish that had been proven to eat bubble algae is a little shy so has not been out and about much. I've noticed Mr Abalone eating the larger bubble algae on pumps but not anywhere else.

I plan to do twice weekly 10% changes. Syphoning the cyano didn't work, it wouldn't actually get sucked into the tubing. Rather, the sand was getting sucked up.

I've purchased two rw8 jebao pumps and have repositioned the wp40 in a better spot so more flow heads down in the cyano area.

I've reduced feeding in general right back until things are under control again. I've found my nitrate test kit and will re-test that to see if it is a problem (perhaps too high compared to po4).

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Normal with bio pellets. Try and slow down the outlet for it BUT be sure that the pellet are still tumbling.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Btw.. i almost crashed my tank by doing to many water changes with bio-pellets.my tank became to sterile. Don't be to focused on p04. Google guess my phosphate level. You will be shocked to see a lot of great looking tanks with high p04

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
The cyano started before the damn biopellets :( po4 isn't worrying me but nitrates and detritus in the water column. I've got 1/4 of the recommended dose on there and will add slowly. I've seen cyano come about from heavy nitrate and po4 reductions and I don't want that!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Found the male clown this morning with a giant (1cm) cut down his right side :( Tried to get a picture but it's a little blurry. He's active, feeding and behaving as normal. Will keep water quality top notch this week and monitor him.

Attachments