Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My thinking exactly - I figure its like investing in a solar panel - you pay a little bit more upfront and save a significant sum of money along the way. You've done such a good job of yours - I like the look of it as well.
You are more likely to get your money back on the LED's than you are on solar panels - I'll actually go one step further, the average person will never recover the initial cost on solar panels based on the current technology.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
You are more likely to get your money back on the LED's than you are on solar panels - I'll actually go one step further, the average person will never recover the initial cost on solar panels based on the current technology.
Actually, I've heard more than a few installers say that for us southerners - the current cost weighed against their efficiency & average life span of the hardware is unlikely to ever recover the costs. There are exceptions - especially for those with really low power use and those who may have managed to get good subsidies, but it's rare this far down. The panels lack the efficiency to cope with the more limited sun light compared to those up north.
What you are doing however, is investing in sustainable electricity production, which is good.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Went shopping last the other nite. Meet axela & his tank which was still looking good. Brought a few of his goodies but we where the last people to get there so missed some nice pieces. (damn you vpreef ;) ) Still came away with some nice pieces tho. Even brought his frag rack complete with frags lol.
ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3217.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3219.jpg

Also got 5 other colonies & a plate. When we first started we always said " no way we will get hard corals, to hard" now look what's happened!
ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3214.jpg

The first corals we got from Williamstown are starting to color up, really should keep track of when we put them in the tank huh.
Will post some pic's when these get some color into them. Going to go down the Brightwell rd & see what happens. Off to seca now to see what's on that side of town.

K&J

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well we made it home in one piece after our shopping expedition today! Started the morning at Seca aquarium in Oakleigh. Did every one know they are moving next month? As always there was some nice stuff there, but nothing caught our eye. Next on the list was Fish World aquarium on Cheltenham rd in Keysborough. If your looking at setting up a sump, call into this place, they have three big sumps set up that you can look at as they are out in the open.

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_Aquarium_20Shops_Fishworldsump.jpg

Nearly walked out with a Blonde Lipstick but thought better of it. From there it was just a 5 minute drive up the road to Keysborough aquarium again on Cheltenham rd. Walked in the door & first tank that Jen seen had the biggest ugliest rock fish you ever did see! very cool. Again we didn't find anything for us. Next spot to hit was Moorabbin aquarium in Moorabbin. Couldn't find anything here either! Went over to Aquatic Creations in Highett. Was looking pretty grim when I noticed a bright color up in one of the top tanks. That had my name on it for sure, a 12x6 inch piece of Christmas rock! that has to be at least 3Kg's.

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_christmastreemarked.jpg

I have circled 8 little worm's poking their heads out but there are over 20 tubes & they all come & go. Look's very cool me thinks.
Around the corner to Mentone aquarium to see what they have. Love the way they have a mix & match coral system. Came away from there with a torch, acro & some fluffy morphs.

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0723.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0721.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the torch, but I have a fair idea that you two guy's know what they look like. Then being over that way, you cant go past Reeflections on Station st in Moorabbin. Shop seems very empty now that he has sold everything in the display tank! bigger & better on the way no doubt. Found a really cool piece of rock that was covered in Ric's & I mean covered. Must be at least 30 odd in different size's. From little bubbies to 50 cent piece size (NZ 0.50 cause Aussie's cut corners :p )

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0726.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0730.jpg

Nothing flash like your $300 orange or fluro's, but I like Ric's, even if they are $2 garden varieties they still look pretty cool.
Well that was our Sunday, what did you do today? :D

K&J

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well the last 4hrs have been interesting, just about to plug into MW3 on Xbox & I get a text from axela at 20:30 saying he has decided to sell the coral's he was going to keep. So pack up the box's & head over. Melton to Ringwood, back to Melton, find a spot for the 5 coral's we got & it's now 01:20. All good size's & colors, just wish we had a decent camera to take some pic's. The biggest one is about the size of a dinner plate, nearly filled the circumference of a Red Sea salt bucket. Tired now so will post some sort of pic when I get a chance. :D

K&J

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Any room left for the fish :p Look forward to seeing some pictures.

I fondly remember when I lived in Melbourne with my regular trips to the LFS often resulting in a new coral - these days I am lucky to get something new every 6 months :(

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Morning all, :)

Damn!, It's been three months since I told any stories in here. Been tied up with other bits & pieces. So what's the G.O? you two still with me? As per usual there will be far to many pics uploaded. They are all taken today after the water change.
Not a lot to report at this end. Had a few drama's but got them sorted out. We use Bio-Pellets in a Otto reactor, check it as you past kinda thing & it looked all good. Little did I know that the back of the reactor where I cant see walking past had stopped fluidising & was just a solid lump! :mad: Found this out when I did the monthly tests & nitrates where off the scale, PO4 was not far behind them. Cracked the shits & started pulling the thing offline. Guess it's time for a water change. Ending up going through nearly 2000Ltr's of NSW in about 4 days. The Otto is now sitting the cupboard collecting dust with all the other stuff. I went looking for a reactor for Bio-Pellets & came up with the Reef Octopus BR-MF-110. I read it was designed for the Bio-Pellet media with a wide base outflow & curved inside plate which helps the pellets flow back upwards. Check them out if you like, you will get abetter explanation lol.
ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_REEFOCTOPUSBR_MF_110.jpg

The tank has had a few more water changes since then so it's back under control. Just working on the PO4 now. Its not super bad, but it still needs to come down. Reef Octopus are releasing a new filter designed for Carbon/Rowa media which looks real good. I like the idea of designing for a certain type of media. It makes sense as the pellets have a different flow to Carbon or Rowa type media.

Williamstown Aquarium got a few really cool toxic lime green SPS corals in awhile ago. Sold them all on the same day. There where about 7 very small pieces left in the tank, under an inch long, that had broken off the main corals. Jen got these for $1 each. No idea what they where or if they would survive. Got them home an Jen stuck them onto some Aquatic Culture Ceramic Frag Tiles we just happened to have sitting around. Put them up on the frag rack & sat back. Today I puttied a few of them around the tank as they seem to be going OK. We had a blue stag coral that just wasn't going so well so I cut the best bit's off & glued them to Aquatic Culture Ceramic Frag Tiles again. They are on the rack now. Hopefully they will take off & recover. I put a few pink pocci frags on to the rock's in places today, they are going really well. Still have a couple on the rack as I dont know where to put them yet. Added a real pale blue moti Coral & a pink stylo. Both corals look very pastel in colour if that make sense. Don't know how well it will show in the pics yet as I'm waiting for the white LED's to come on lol. How ever they turn out I'll put a few up anyway. Who am I kidding, a few! For some strange reason I'm always pic heavy hahaha. i have 3 months to make for!!

Oh yeah, we picked up a Thompson Tang from Deer Park a few weeks back also. The little bugger was so small! Got home & thought "Umm, did we do the wrong thing" Compared to the other 5 Tangs he is tiny! The powder blue tang was the only one who took an instant dislike to the little guy, Just lucky we have lots of small caves & holes to hide in. Took a few days before the powder would let him out in open water but all good now. It's silly, 99% of the time the powder wont be interested in him, then every now & then he chases the shit outta the Thompson. 10 seconds later they are mates again, swimming side by side???

Other then that not a lot really. Put a few more SPS in before the pellet saga. They did suffer from the nitrate/PO4 drama which pissed me off big time. They pulled through but it's still not the greatest situation to be in or have them in. We dont have the greatest camera for taking pics of the tank but hopefully that will change with the new toy I have coming. No idea if it will work the way I want it to but we will see. Should be cool if I can get it working right. The pics should be better then those below lol.

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3366.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3367.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3369.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3370.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3394.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3374.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3375.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3379.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3383.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3384.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3386.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3387.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3389.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3390.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3391.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3392.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3395.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3396.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3399.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3400.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3401.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3402.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3404.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3406.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_SANY3397.jpg

Since this is a catch up post, I might as well update the livestock list as well.
3 x Blue Green Chromis
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Mandarin
2 x Stromb snail
12 x Turbo snail
2 x Hermits
1 x Bi-colour Angel
2 x Black and White Ocellaris
1 x Fairy Wrasse
7 x Yellow Chromis
2 x Tomato Clowns
1 x Sumatran Clown
1 x Coral Banded Shrimp
1 x MooCow "aka- Marwong - Sweetlips?"
1 x Cleaner Wrasse
2 x Double Banded Rabbit fish
1 x 6" Rainbow wrasse
1 x Yellow bar angel
1 x Blue Tang
1x Lipstick Tang
1x Orange shoulder Tang
1x Thompson Tang
1x Powder Blue Tang
1x Yellow Tang
1x Foxface
2x Pajama Cardinals
Have lost count of the crabs in the tank & sump
SPS & LPS

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if I have put these up before but here they are again. We have got some snail type things growing on the rock. Can anyone tell us if they are good or bad? They spew out a very fine filaments everywhere. It dont seem to annoy the corals, but it annoys the snot out of me lol. Any idea's how to reduce or remove them.
ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0705_1.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0706_1.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0707_1.jpg

Well that's about it for now, I cant think of anything else. There a few toys kicking about that I would like. I could spin you a line about how they will benefit the tank & make things better, but would you believe me? lol. Just cool toys I havent seen in Ozzie yet. Not huge dollars & run on 12v so the power thing is OK. Just have to convince myself fully that I "need" them for the tank.

Take it easy all & play nice in the sandpit.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Looking good Ken and Jen - I don't know how we let you go for so long without an update.

I might have to get you to start a frag of that green acro for when I come over :worship

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
not a problem MagicJ, :)

There are a few in there we want to frag to give away as insurance in case something happens. At least we will know someone who has what we lose & should be able to get a frag back off them. That's the plan anyway lol:)

V

'vspec'

Syno, geeze dude, you remind me so much of my Floridian friend. Nasty big fooking tank, and not afraid to use it! :)

No idea what them snails are, I personally have not seen the colouring in marine. The shape yes, which indicates pest, but not the colour.
I hope we can get an Id on it dude, cause I have no idea sorry!

Look forward to seeing your sh^t in person soon dude. Admittedly I will say "wow, thats pretty" But maybe I might slip in the occasional informed return :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Get out of my cab!
Your tank is looking freaking amazing!
Any chance you feel like catching up?
I'll be down in Melbourne on thurs night onwards for the weekend.
I'll send you a pm

BR
nils

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Tank is looking great ken and Jen can't wait to see it in may!!

Where abouts are you staying nils and what shops are you visiting??

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Tank is looking great ken and Jen can't wait to see it in may!!

Where abouts are you staying nils and what shops are you visiting??
Staying in Hawthorn east, but planning to go to Williamstown Aquarium for the first time. Will pop into Aqueus and Bunarong too. :) Might pick up some cards to enter the LFSdirect comp LOL! ;)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks for the comments guys. We appreciate them greatly as they help keep the the dream alive. All of your TJ's help us make decisions, give us idea's & some of them a end desired goal. :)

'vspec' we are sure you will have lots of informed comments to pass on during the day lol. ;)

slin1977 we would love to catch up. It's a shame you cant see the "Victorian" thread as a lot of the Vic members are showing up in May to eat & drink Jen & I out of home lmao. Even MagicJ is making the trip back to the mainland for the day (without his other brother Daryl:p)

Now there an idea, hahaha, who was it again organising the "1st Annual Australian Reefuge Meeting" ???? I'm sure I heard a rumor about it on a thread in here somewhere?? :rolleyes

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I will be past in a couple weeks! I'll wave on my way past to put in my attendance.... Just a bit early for the meeting but whatever ;)