Tank Journal Archive

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
Looks grouse! Nice workmanship :)
Thanks, this is the first time I have actually fully built and skinned a stand. I have built two before but just the framing. I hope it turns out nice after I stain it and put the capping on :D

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
Ok so this concludes what I can do until my next days off.

One coat of polyurethene on the inside, one coat of maple satin on the outside.
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_land_lubber_New_20tank_20build_2013_06_06085828_zpsbcdd5642.jpg
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_land_lubber_New_20tank_20build_2013_06_06085849_zps9ad191b3.jpg

Two coats polyurethene on the inside, two coats of maple satin on the outside and two coats of white gloss on the top.
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_land_lubber_New_20tank_20build_2013_06_06162524_zps2655673a.jpg

I'm abit disappointed with how you can still see the wood filler quite abit but overall I am happy so far and besides in the next photo is what I will see the most of anyway.
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_land_lubber_New_20tank_20build_2013_06_06162532_zpsc6d7cef6.jpg

I don't think I will do anymore maple stain as I'm happy with the colour now but will have to wait until it drys. You may also be asking why I have painted the top white, well its because if I do go barebottom you should be able to see the white so it kind of gives the appearance of sand. So next days off I will do the door/doors undecided on how I want to do them yet and also the capping around the top and bottom. I'm also undecided if I will do a open hood for the tank or not. Anyway enjoy.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Nice work! I was going to ask why you needed a board on top of the stand but you answered that in the last post. I have found that you really need to give a good sand where the putty and especially glue is, because it stands out like dogs balls when I have stained over it! Can't wait to see more progress.

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
Just ordered my Waveline DC3000. On another note I was thinking of a livestock list and this is what I was thinking:

Rainsford goby
Starcki damsel
Royal gramma
Some kind of wrasse
Maybe a Ocellaris Clown or two
Red firefish
Maybe a dwarf angelfish

Since the tank itself is only 240L or so not including the sump I won't have all of these fish in there so just throwing ideas around. Also for my lights I have changed my mind kind of. Now I will got for 4 x 24w T5HO and also have 24 x 3w LEDs. For the T5HO tubes I will go for 2 x ATI blue plus, 1 x ATI coral plus and 1 x ATI purple plus. As for the LEDs they will be a mix of Royal blues, blues and cyan all on a dimmable controller. I'm suppose to be heading to Vegas in September so will pick up the Philips Luxeon LEDs, ATI tubes and a T5HO retrofit kit while I am there. In the mean time I will just have the 24 3w Bridgelux ones I have at the moment.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice fish choice. The Rainford's can be difficult to get eating but if you get one eating they are lovely fish.

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
I have had a couple before and have had success with them. The only thing is they are hardly ever for sale in the LFS over here :(

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
Haha nah I'll just order one through Aquaworld. Speaking of Aquaworld I brought a few Zoa frags today :D once they open I will post some pics.

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
I haven't really tried to be honest but I know 2 people that have most of them so will hit them up in the next few weeks for some frags. Ordered my tank so will pick that up on Thursday/Friday next week.

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
Greg Kingston in Manukau near the airport. He has built all my tanks and always done a good job. Getting it done with three sides in ultra clear (low iron) 10mm glass.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
did he used to live near the back of Flatbush? Near that estate with all the streets named after the All Blacks? lol
The name sounds familiar. If it's the same guy, he built my sump for my tank when I was there. Great guy and definitely can't fault his work at all.

land_lubber

May 21, 2013
Ahh haha I would say its the same guy then. Just wondering if I should get it donw with black silicon or not.