Reef Discussion

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well i looked at these things and have a question. http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aquarium-8-x-3w-LEDs-DIY-kit.html
Would i be able to get say 3 or 4 of these and run them off the one plug??
As my idea was to buy one kit at a time, see how much the first one lit up my tank and decide from there how many more i need.
I was going to run them from front to back across my tank therefore the need for a few of them.
It will also help me cost wise as i can take my time buying one kit then the next a mont later or so.
Instead of having to fork out a heap at once.
cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
yea but one kit at a time, i think it was 15-20 buks for postage, so thats 70 or so for each kit.

What do you reckon Magicj, might it work well?? or be an utter fail

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
postage would be a killer buying one at a time, your looking at $25 postage on just one so would quickly add up. I think you would be better off with 36 kit straight out. For $65 for 8 your almost getting towards cree prices

if you look at my 60L (20"x14"x18") journal I have 12 aquastyle LED's over it, it lights u the tank very well but a few more would be a lot better. Also not sure how wel it punches through the water a PAR measurement would be awesome

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
yea, my problem with getting the larger kits is the heat sinks arnt big enough in my oppinion, so you have to hang it, and i realy have no room to hang it that high, thats why i was looking at multiple kits, then i could hang it inside or on the hood im going to make.
Also price wise, i have to keep it under $100 per transaction inc postage, as im 17 so i cant get a credit/debit card thing, so ill be using a pre paid one, and the largest ones of those I've seen are $100.
cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have my LED's mounted on some aluminium channel - run them at around 750mA and the channel just gets warm.You will only need a very good heatsink if you are planning to run them at 860mA +.

What you are planning to do will work, but I think it will be an expensive way to go. You would be better off making do with a whatever you have now, saving your $$'s and getting what you need in one go in the future. I am sure that there is someone you can get to use their credit card if you hand over the cash.

BTW, happy birthday for last week :)

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
so i could realy only buy the leds, driver, plaster stuff, and lenses from them, and just grab a piece of aluminum from bunnings to attatch it too?? That would cut the postage in half at least.
ATM im running t8's and they just arnt cutting it anymore, this unit has been around for about 10years, dad had it befor i stole it from the shed a few years back, so its been used a few times over and again.
And whos Birthday was last week?? i know i joined here on the 2nd lmao

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
yea i know a place round the corner, they take all the work site seconds and things they reject, and its Dirt cheep. ill have a look there when i can, if luck has it they may even have heat sinks.
Then the LED's 25 White 25 royal blue sound good to you?? ill ask your oppinion on what colours i should get as you are the leading expert on here by the sounds of things, lmao.
With the drivers tho, is there a limit on how many LED's they can run each??

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
so i could realy only buy the leds, driver, plaster stuff, and lenses from them, and just grab a piece of aluminum from bunnings to attatch it too?? That would cut the postage in half at least.
This is soon to be my 4fter's bunnings built fixture, square click-it for the frame and ally H beam for the heat sinking Still need more sections though, should do the job just fine though

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_P1110020.jpg

The bigger of the 2 maxwellen drivers from aquastyle will run 12-20 LED's each

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well guys one last question before i start to try and set everything into motion.
Lenses which size hould i be looking at to punch into the depths? cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
3 of the larger maxwellen drivers as mentioned upbove.
Why no lenses on a tank this size??
Cheers
They tell you on the website :rolleyes - the larger one will drive from 12 to 20 LED's, the smaller from 7 to 12 LED's. Note that these drivers will not work with any automatic dimming device eg arduino etc.

You can use lenses if you like, but a lens effectively concentrates the light allowing it to penetrate further. LED's have a built in lens (most are around 120 degrees) which would be sufficient for your needs - the light will penetrate to the bottom of your tank without lenses - this will also assist with the blending of light from the individual light sources.

Somewhere around 30 3x LED's would be fine for your tank - to make it easier to define the colour balance your want you might get 3 drivers.

Say 12 Royal Blue, 12 Neutral White and 6 Violet. Maybe get 2 of the 20 LED kits so you have a few spare LED's in case you want to add some more.

Note - I have not used any of these LED's and so I am not sure what the actual colours are like. I have also not used Violets (yet, I am looking to get some soon) and have no idea what this might look like.