Help / Suggestions

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
1) Culture.
  • Is it a friendly environment? This has to be one the most friendly forums I've been on. I've usually only found this sort of humour on the branch off forums back home, so its great to see it here.
  • Do you get along with other members? Does a bear s$&t in the woods and wipe his butt with a fluffy white rabbit? I don't know, but yea I'd say I do lol
  • How does the culture suit you? Suits me very well. I don't usually post much on other forums, as I don't want to step on any toes. But here, I post as much as I want and not too worried about getting spanked by the mod patrol... ;)
  • Do you find it relaxed here? Extremely relaxed... when I'm not laughing my tits off at something someones posted :D

2) Usability.
  • Are the forums easy to use? A lot easier to navigate these forums. The Alerts feature is a gem!
  • Are there features here that you enjoy that you don't find on other forum software? The chat bar! at least I can actually see messages when they're dropped rather then waiting for a new private message to show up. Haven't come across this feature on any other forum before.
  • What are some improvements we can make to make your experience here better? Nothing comes to mind. the updates that are rolling out soon sound more the proficient

3) Information
  • Is The Reefuge a good source for information regarding this hobby? Its definitely getting there. Once the wiki is full blown, then I can answer this with "Oh hell yea!"
  • Are there certain areas we should focus on more regarding information users can find? Nothing that I can think of

4) Building Members
  • How do you think The Reefuge can get more people to register an account and become active in the discussions? Advertising in LFS? Could do one of those ads on the dreaded Facebook?
  • Would you recommend The Reefuge to friends / other hobbyists? I always drop The Reefuge into conversations I have with new (and old) reefing acquaintances.
  • If you would recommend people here, why would you recommend them here? The environment. Its a lot more easier to get along with people here.
  • If you would not recommend people here, why would you not recommend them here? vspec's beer tax... Just kidding. There's no reason I wouldn't recommend people to come here.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
I personally think displaying "Message Count" in avatars is/would be no where near as benifical as displaying another great feature you have here - likes.

Some people have really high message counts as they use the forum as a "Social Media" of sorts. Nothing wrong with that - it seems to be what you encourage. But for new starters who are trying to work out who/what to believe, etc I believe likes are a better indication of a members "reefing" ability and experience than post count.

Overall the forum is run fine technically - plenty of communications, etc. for the most part members behave themselves really well as well.

Would I recommend it - yes I have.

Would more product reviews be good - yes they would. I know this relies on members donating their time and I wish I could contribute. Maybe while on the topic of reviews a standard "template" to loosely follow so all reviews offer the same level of information. Some of the Basic's I can think of (and I am sure there are more):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RRP:
General Availability:
AU Distributor:
Link to any offical website:

Function: (lighting, water filtration, circulation, maintanence, etc)
Product's purpose: (More specific)

Review: (the heart of the post) Quailty, performance, general reliabilty, etc)

Similar Products: (think same/similar function,price bracket, etc)

Pro's:
Con's:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe even a seperate forum for Product reviews.

Oh - and 1 last really really nice feature to have - a spell checker (unless it's here but I just haven't found it). As you can see by my posts I need it ;)

Great site though.
1+ on a review forum but don't fill up with adverts.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hi megsez and macca_75,

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/directory/

It is still being set up, but it is not too far off now.

Thanks.
I might be time poor but since everyone needs to give a little I can do reviews on the following based on current and past opinions:
Tunze 6105 streams
Tunze ato
Hammerhead magnet cleaner
RO 3000 skimmer
Tunze 7096 controller
Marine Magic dosing pump
Laguna (return pump)
Jaguar heaters

Let me know when/if you have a standard template available.

Another option I thought of (although somewhat objective) is a bar indicating where the item sits (entry level, intermediate, top end, for beginners/ advanced aquariasts (if we are looking at reviews for fish and corals) - in fact the livestock needs a heap of other options around requirements, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I might be time poor but since everyone needs to give a little I can do reviews on the following based on current and past opinions:
Tunze 6105 streams
Tunze ato
Hammerhead magnet cleaner
RO 3000 skimmer
Tunze 7096 controller
Marine Magic dosing pump
Laguna (return pump)
Jaguar heaters

Let me know when/if you have a standard template available.

Another option I thought of (although somewhat objective) is a bar indicating where the item sits (entry level, intermediate, top end, for beginners/ advanced aquariasts (if we are looking at reviews for fish and corals) - in fact the livestock needs a heap of other options around requirements, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, thank you very much Macca_75,

I will add you to the content team, and you can start adding reviews in a secret forum.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi macca,

You have been added. You may need to refresh your tapatalk to see the new forum, it will automatically appear on your computer.

Again, thanks for joining.

Thanks.

V

'vspec'

Since I'm time poor ~ I shall flick this switch.

Hmmm, Yep, it worked as expected! ;)