Tank Journal Archive

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Mini reef 50L LED
The beginnings of my nano world...

Blueplanet 2ft x 1ft x 1ft AIO
- had the link here but apparently can't post it as I have under 10 posts in total

I modified this by:

- removed the 3 stage media and replaced with RowaPhos
- removed the 450lph pump and replaced with a 1200lph pump which I attached to my CL650
- removed the hood and standard crumby light to make it an open top setup. I then ordered/attached a 72w LED light from guppys
- placed a 2000lph wavemaker in tank

Setup this tank on the 25.08.2012 after a 4w holiday around New Zealand. It has been running well ever since :) Here are a couple pictures..

Current livestock

2x turbo snails

1x toxic hammer
1x yellow/pink fungia

To add

2x orange occys

OR

2x bangaii cardinals

MORE CORALSSSSSSS

1x peppermint shrimp

And I would REALLY like a small orange star but my tank size is a concern..

P1010189.JPG
P1010192.JPG
P1010193.JPG
P1010194.JPG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hi louise i edited your post and posted the pictures in so its easier for everyone to see, next time just click insert all full.
:welcome
i like the look of this tank!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Welcome! Looking good so far can't wait to see it packed with corals.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i have a few ideas on how this could be improved drastically, but it involves draining it, you could make a corner weir that fits your chiller pump, have it to the height you want the water level, chuck the stuff you need to hide in the corner box and it also acts as a surface skimmer getting crap off the surface of the water.
will look much neater similar to what ive done but at a much simpler level

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Looks pretty good so far - that's some LIVE live rock you have ;)

Agree on ditching the air pump, no need. Also get yourself a Two Little fish nanomag in place of that huge algae scrubber you have.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Hey all, the chiller is HUGE but its off my old 600L system so figured I'd use it instead of purchasing a new one :) And the huge algae scrubber was also from the 600L- but agreed that I definitely need something smaller!

The air pump isn't actually an air pump.. The water from the chiller flows through the trickle filter and drops down with a bit too much force causing all the bubbles. I attached a small bit of hose to help but it hasn't done a great deal and I'm not sure what to try next :S
The bubbles aren't causing issues but I'd prefer not to have them so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I did think about a weir but Im hopeless at DIY so put it in the 'too hard' basket. Very woosie of me!!

I got my LR from Pete at 100% Reef Safe, oh and the hammer too!

Heres a couple pics of the tank originally- will try uploading them correctly but no promises!! haha

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
First pic isnt my tank but gives you an idea how it looked prior to changing... Third pic is the tank setup with HORRID hot pink thick gravel as subsrate, yuk, what was I thinking?! And the 2nd pic is the tank after Ive come to my senses and pulled the pink mess out!

All pics are with T5 lighting before I converted to LED. Only had white bulbs so the colours dont look too flash
blueplanet.jpg
P1010186.JPG
P8260176.JPG

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
The return pipe is submerged by about 1-1.5cm, I could attach a longer pipe to submerge it further but I'm not sure it would have the desired effect. I actually hadn't thought of extending that pipe so I might give that a go and see what the results are :)

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
My best guess is the air is coming from the trickle filter component .. It is sealed but there always seems to be some air in there..

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Ahhhhhh crudbucket! So I came home today after being away since Monday and discovered that the top half of my LR has been cooked by the lights!! My awesome LR is now half dead!!! :(

The light sits 30cm above water level, which is a good 50-55cm above the LR. Its a 72w LED. That has been set to 80% brightness.. Both corals are very healthy and are opening up fully so I didn't think my setting was too high but obviously I was wrong.. Looks like I'll be turning that right down to say 65%. The two corals in the tank should be fine with 65%. But I am so annoyed, I can see the whiteness from the LR all the way across the room with the lights off!! Ill take a pic tomorrow and post... sad panda

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Well I promised a photo and here it is.. :(

Brightness is down to 65% and there seems to be no adverse effect on the corals.. Getting some new corals tomorrrow (and possibly my fishies) so stay tuned :) Heading to Aquarium Warehouse.
P1010198.JPG
P1010200.JPG

Ive also lessened the amount of air bubbles coming out of the filter but I dont think Ill be able to stop them entirely..

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Well I promised a photo and here it is.. :(

Brightness is down to 65% and there seems to be no adverse effect on the corals.. Getting some new corals tomorrrow (and possibly my fishies) so stay tuned :) Heading to Aquarium Warehouse.View attachment 8557View attachment 8558

Ive also lessened the amount of air bubbles coming out of the filter but I dont think Ill be able to stop them entirely..
It's not dead it just bleached the coralline this always happens when there's a light change it will be back to normal in a few weeks :D

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Ok went to both Aquarium Warehouses and was very disappointed :( My main goal for the trip was to get 2x bangaii cardinals for my tank but they had none left, and the quarantine ones weren't due out until Wednesday- booo! But I guess that can't be helped. Decided to pop into Pet City on the way back. Nearly died when I saw the $130 price tag on the bangaiis. Needless to say I left them. They did have some VERY nice solid red button corals too, but at $70 a pop, I left those too. Did find a nice pearl white hammer though at a decent price so walked away with that :)