Tank Journal Archive

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Mixed Emotions
So it has been a LONG time since my last update, been a little lazy. Thought it is time to let everyone know how it is going. This may get pretty long :rofl.

Will start with the Coral
I added a whole heap of SPS from the Meet a while ago, couldn't be worse timing on my part. As the next weekend I went away. I had to leave the tank in the hands of my Dad who has no clue about my tank (likes to think he does :P). I was nervous about it the whole time I was away but he kept assuring me that it was all looking spectacular. Little did I know I was going to be coming home to a white reef :banghead. I have put this down to 3 issues.
1. The corals while I was away started to grow and hence started consuming alkalinity. It ended up dropping to a measly 5 DKH. I didn't realise at the time that this was the issue as I thought ah the doser is dosing so it can't be that. I later picked up the low Alk when I did my weekly test a couple of days later. This leads me onto number 2
2. The doser wasn't set up properly, I did not put the airline hose into the connection properly. This ended with it only working for the first couple of weeks (how long i was testing daily) not sure how long it actually didn't dose anything. Oopsy.
3. Finally I may have told my dad to feed a bit too much, at the time I was trying to raise my Nitrate. this raised the phosphate to over .8. This was completely my fault I should have not tried to change things while I was away. Big lesson learnt here...

I feel for next time I need to make sure EVERYTHING is running before I leave and then as I get home. Also need to get out of my head that equipment is working all the time. Things go wrong.. Also I should have not tried to change things while I was away. Big lesson learnt here...
FTS's of before i went away:
14233591_1739669792962755_1333861953_o.jpg
20160911_103529.jpg
20160915_155510.jpg

Now for the worst of the news, my two little clowns have both died, one fairly unknown about why, I feel as though it was stress from falling into the overflow and being caught and put back into the dt. as it died a couple of hours later. I think the other may of gone looking for her brother as she went into the overflow and down the pipe into the sump where she got chewed up by the skimmer. This was a huge loss as they where the first fish to the tank and I enjoyed watching them grow into the tank.

Currently I have a Scopas tang who is very fat, and eating everything I put into the tank. Has even started to eat my homemade food, will get back to that later. He/she is still shy but is getting better, also is starting to show the silver looking speckles all over its face. Looks amazing in person but can't quite get it to come through in the photo's.
20161207_174829.jpg

I also added a nice little wrasse, apsolutly love he/she. Adds so much colour to the tank. Starting eating from day one and has found a nice little cave to sleep in. I only found it yesterday when he/she went into the weir and i put her back in, went straight to a small little cave. Not later he/she was swimming around as if nothing happened that night she slept there. So happy to have a wrasse in the tank!
20161207_174643.jpg

The corals in my tank are all softies and the moment. These being a small frag of Zoa, couple of Mushrooms, a Leather (favourite in the tank at the moment), a Duncan (currently through issues) and Xenia which in growing like a weed in my fuge.
20161207_174806.jpg

Going back to the Duncan, I am not sure as to what is happening. I have moved it to 3 different places thinking it was flow or lighting. Both seems to have made not difference. Only one head has opened up for quite some time.
Current Paramaters
Alk: 7.2 ( little bit low currently increasing back to 8, .1 every day)
Phos: .1 (little bit high but it slowly decreasing with the addition of phosphate minus)
Nitrate: 1 (is this too low for the Duncan maybe?)
Amm
Nitrite: 0
Sal: 1.025
It has left me stumped but if anyone could help that would be Awesome :)
20161207_174635.jpg

Currently I am waiting for Dave to find me a group of 7 Randalls Anthias. It seems as though just as I was ready for them that they disappeared off the face of the earth! I know that I am able to get them at other places but I feel as though I would rather wait :). Also have decided that my Pac Sun isn't cutting it (Sam,Dom and Luke may not what is coming here), I am not enjoying my LEDs, they are producing far to much of a disco effect for my liking this has made me decide to swap over to a MH/T5 hybrid. My current plans are to swap over to 2 250w Metal Halides, both 20k Radiums. I am taking a rather DIY approach as I wont have the money for a proper unit. Will be buying the reflectors online, the ballasts at the hydroponic store and the bulbs at the one and only Deer Park. With the T5's I haven't got that much of an idea what I want to do, open to opinions here. Trying to keep the cost to a low if possible. Have seen plenty of units available recently, tick almost every box, 4 foot, 4 T5's 2 halides, however I am wanting single ended bulbs not double ended.
Also feel as though my tank is ready for Acro again, However all my plans have come to a grinding halt. This is due to being given the opportunity to play hockey for the Australian Wanderers in Europe. This means that I will be away from the 31st of December till mid January. Will be leaving the tank in the hands of my Dad (yet again). This time there wont be any corals in there that could bleach (easily anyway). Adding Acro again will only make it harder more him and I wish to save the stress while I am away. If you have any questions or have any suggestions they are more than appreciated.

The disco ball effect i am talking about ( worse in person) there are spots all over the tank where the light hasnt difused properly
20161207_181012.jpg

Will finish off with an up to date FTS (please excuse the terrible photo's)

20161207_181004.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just a quick one with the Duncan. From my experience they will close up when phos is too high. Get it down a bit and give them a couple of weeks and they should open up again.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Hi Andrew B.
I think the title of your thread sums up reefkeeping :)
It's all about the ups and downs. Sometimes unfortunate events like this do occur and they really test our resilience in this hobby.

If you are looking to go MH lighting, I can recommend this reflector as it is the best I have personally used.

Lighting color is a personal preference and I used to run 14K MH bulbs with T5 Actinics.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Sorry to read about your losses ,
What is going on with your overflow for 3 fish to hop in there ?
From your FTS looks like the grate you have is sufficient.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Sorry for your losses there @Andrew B

I you want some red Zoa's (I'm talking a decent chunk - more of a colony than a frag) to get your tank back into action let me know. I also have heaps of Xenia but it sounds like you have that covered.

Also with the lights, if you are considering DIY have you considered DIY LED's? I have some old 5.1 chips, heatsink and power supply you could try and see how you go. They came off a 8' - a few have lost a channel but there is enough there to cover a 5' easily. Also have the controller boards and @MagicJ 's dimming control box. Come to think of it, it's a complete DIY light ready to go (you need to put it together). The only reason I replaced it was because 1 channel failed on 2 chips and I couldn't get the 5.1 chips any more.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Hi Andrew B.
I think the title of your thread sums up reefkeeping :)
It's all about the ups and downs. Sometimes unfortunate events like this do occur and they really test our resilience in this hobby.

If you are looking to go MH lighting, I can recommend this reflector as it is the best I have personally used.

Lighting color is a personal preference and I used to run 14K MH bulbs with T5 Actinics.
Hi,
Definitly is, should off seen the bumps i went through last year with this tank. ended with taring it down and stating again :P!
I was thinking of buying these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hydropon...=100338&rk=14&rkt=30&mehot=pp&sd=331528306411 ( sorry not sure how to tag it in properly) chucking our the bulb and buying a new one :) thanks for the recommendation though :D

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Sorry to read about your losses ,
What is going on with your overflow for 3 fish to hop in there ?
From your FTS looks like the grate you have is sufficient.
It is a bit sad but part of the hobby i guess, There is a 1x1cm gap in the back corner (cant see from the fts), wil try get a photo for you.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Sorry for your losses there @Andrew B

I you want some red Zoa's (I'm talking a decent chunk - more of a colony than a frag) to get your tank back into action let me know. I also have heaps of Xenia but it sounds like you have that covered.

Also with the lights, if you are considering DIY have you considered DIY LED's? I have some old 5.1 chips, heatsink and power supply you could try and see how you go. They came off a 8' - a few have lost a channel but there is enough there to cover a 5' easily. Also have the controller boards and @MagicJ 's dimming control box. Come to think of it, it's a complete DIY light ready to go (you need to put it together). The only reason I replaced it was because 1 channel failed on 2 chips and I couldn't get the 5.1 chips any more.
Would love to however i have decided that I wont be adding anything to the tank untill i return from my trip. Thank you for the offer though.
In regard to lighting, these LEDs have put me off them and wanting to go with something a little less controllable. Meaning less room for error on my part. :P

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Will start with the Coral
I added a whole heap of SPS from the Meet a while ago, couldn't be worse timing on my part. As the next weekend I went away. I had to leave the tank in the hands of my Dad who has no clue about my tank (likes to think he does :p). I was nervous about it the whole time I was away but he kept assuring me that it was all looking spectacular. Little did I know I was going to be coming home to a white reef :banghead. I have put this down to 3 issues.
1. The corals while I was away started to grow and hence started consuming alkalinity. It ended up dropping to a measly 5 DKH. I didn't realise at the time that this was the issue as I thought ah the doser is dosing so it can't be that. I later picked up the low Alk when I did my weekly test a couple of days later. This leads me onto number 2
2. The doser wasn't set up properly, I did not put the airline hose into the connection properly. This ended with it only working for the first couple of weeks (how long i was testing daily) not sure how long it actually didn't dose anything. Oopsy.
3. Finally I may have told my dad to feed a bit too much, at the time I was trying to raise my Nitrate. this raised the phosphate to over .8. This was completely my fault I should have not tried to change things while I was away. Big lesson learnt here...
While I don't disagree with these events made things go south fast, I would like to point out the tank didn't look ready for SPS from the first pic. The absence of coralline algae and presence of diatoms indicate an young reef, adding SPSs at this stage premature and likely to fail.

If I were you, I wouldn't focus too much on the 3 events you highlighted. Instead, I would focus on keeping the tank parameters stable for 3-6 months, having some degree of success with less sensitive corals, like LPS and then go SPS again.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
While I don't disagree with these events made things go south fast, I would like to point out the tank didn't look ready for SPS from the first pic. The absence of coralline algae and presence of diatoms indicate an young reef, adding SPSs at this stage premature and likely to fail.

If I were you, I wouldn't focus too much on the 3 events you highlighted. Instead, I would focus on keeping the tank parameters stable for 3-6 months, having some degree of success with less sensitive corals, like LPS and then go SPS again.
Yes very true, i think the timing was very wrong to start SPS, should definitly have waited a bit longer than I did. Tank was set up in late june, so coming to 5 months (give or take), probably the last month it has started to stabilise. Will definitly be waiting and hesitant to get more sps untill feb next year. trying a couple of softies between :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hi Andrew, looking forward to the new chapter, honestly when you sort your lighting out things will improve in leaps and bounds. Having seen your tank first hand, the lights you had in June were never going to get you to the finish line and realise your dreams.
You owe it to yourself to make the move to MH - keep the updates coming:)

And yes... 6 months in is the time to strike up the SPS tank. (But not with your current lights)

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Hi Andrew, looking forward to the new chapter, honestly when you sort your lighting out things will improve in leaps and bounds. Having seen your tank first hand, the lights you had in June were never going to get you to the finish line and realise your dreams.
You owe it to yourself to make the move to MH - keep the updates coming:)

And yes... 6 months in is the time to strike up the SPS tank. (But not with your current lights)
Hey Nils,
Definitky looking forward to fresh lights! Sick of this unit just doesn't want to behave (as you saw when you came around!). Going tomkae the swap late Jan early Feb, shame that is just when i go back to school and have less time to get to the fish store but thats life :P. Will stick out for them though :D

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Glad to see you got some solid advice Andrew :) I'm sure you'll get things going again and you can always pester me :P