Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
3x2x2 and 4x2x2 run similar gear you will just need more flow and a larger light, so i guess that will pump up the cost a little, not huge tho

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
thanks for the advice. Yes I've been using tap water for 6 months and my mate has been for 3years and this is his tank below.
what issues have arisin from using tap water?
Ive had non.
View attachment 11469
Fair enough, if it works for you then no harm. I'd be interested in knowing the water stats in your area, I know in Sydney using tap water would end up in po4 and algae city...

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Fair enough, if it works for you then no harm. I'd be interested in knowing the water stats in your area, I know in Sydney using tap water would end up in po4 and algae city...
I think i have heard a few people compare melbourne and sydney water. but I've never looked into it. there are melbourne people who do use RO water but its been smooth sailing for me using tap water and red sea coral pro salt.
I test my water with red sea test kits every sunday and My nitrate and phosphate have never been higher than 0.50.
I also don't dose any any anti nitrate and phosphate products at this stage so it must be low.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what does your phos sit at? should be aiming for 0.00-0.05

not using RO causes algae blooms for me

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
how do you find the sump? Was the only thing that put me off the CADE and went custom. Just took up way to much room for me, any pics of how yours is set up?
i can appreciate that. I bought the tank as it has elite craftsmanship on glass and cabinet, anyone can change a sump.
Personaly i like a large sump as there are benefits and I have no need for extra space as i only use a skimmer. it does have 5 chambers the fifth is for water storage/top off. i think its pretty sweet. There is a pic of the sump on page 1 :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
was interested in seeing it running :) I took the lines of paying more for the CADE than I did for the custom and would still need to pay for a new sump, but if the CADE suited me like it has you, would 100% have one.

For me I wanted my RO completely separate from the sump, so had a stand alone chamber built along side my sump and all my dosing gear underneath, there was nothing on the market that suited. Excellent looking tanks though, very well built and look very nice.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
was interested in seeing it running :) I took the lines of paying more for the CADE than I did for the custom and would still need to pay for a new sump, but if the CADE suited me like it has you, would 100% have one.

For me I wanted my RO completely separate from the sump, so had a stand alone chamber built along side my sump and all my dosing gear underneath, there was nothing on the market that suited. Excellent looking tanks though, very well built and look very nice.
they have there pros and cons.
pros are the glass and cabinet. cons are chinese plumbing not standard to our size .understandable as its made in china. also the clamps on the hoses were not marine grade so they rust in a week. Pretty shit there lol

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Really like the structures you have come up with! Not sure about the rock balancing on top on the left though .. then again when covered it might look good.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Really like the structures you have come up with! Not sure about the rock balancing on top on the left though .. then again when covered it might look good.
yeah everything is glued together.

the right mound will be a lot fuller and larger. I'm leaving the left one to be small.

Unsure about the left rock on top yet. he is not glued but very stable