Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Ahhhh coming together nicely. I can see where you are going with it now that all of the frags are starting to get bigger.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
That was two tubes of putty used on the weekend, the skimmer is only coming good today.
I hate the putty too.
Your shots inspired me so much I've done some rearranging myself haha and had to use some putty too :( skimmers hate the shit! It's a necessary evil though

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ahhhh coming together nicely. I can see where you are going with it now that all of the frags are starting to get bigger.
I am fumbling around still, just grouping together the species most likely to grow into each other.
The alkalinity has stabilised at a steady 7.0 recently.
Stable alk should promote growth.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
My guess would be phosphates leaching out, M has 3 pieces in her cube that do the same thing. It's getting less and less every day.
also agree with that, remember when it was that putrid black hair algae in that spot a few weeks ago

E

ezza

It looks cool! I can't wait to see it grown out one day. Do you ever dose Lanthanum? Wondering if you would use it to try to pull out the phos in the rock to get the algae down.

Is the putty aqua knead it or actual putty? I still need to fix my post-worm destruction and I never have positive results with aqua knead it. I just can't get the damn stuff to stay on. Yours looks well stuck.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
It looks cool! I can't wait to see it grown out one day. Do you ever dose Lanthanum? Wondering if you would use it to try to pull out the phos in the rock to get the algae down.

Is the putty aqua knead it or actual putty? I still need to fix my post-worm destruction and I never have positive results with aqua knead it. I just can't get the damn stuff to stay on. Yours looks well stuck.
Thanks Ezza - I tried lanth on Aitutaki, it was very effective in reducing phosphate , as you know the zeovit method does not recommend lanth to reduce phosphate. ;)
With Lanth it left a white ring like a bath tub around the waterline, this ring was difficult to get rid of , something I did not like to get on this new aquarium. The other side effect was coral growth structure became less dense from using lanth. :eek

As for the putty , it's Aqua knead. It takes a lot of practice to get this product to stick.