Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
did you ever end up tripple illumagics??

be wary of useing the pool phosphate binder i found it to harsh on the corals compared to the bright well (bright well never caused me issues or left a film)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
did you ever end up tripple illumagics??

be wary of useing the pool phosphate binder i found it to harsh on the corals compared to the bright well (bright well never caused me issues or left a film)
Hey Matt,
Ill save the triples for a rainy day photo shoot :) With double on the tank and the height I turned them down ages ago. I can't remember but I think they run at about 65 to 75 percent most of the time. I have been fortunate to have experimented a lot with some test coral that I've kept since before LED were over my tank. They were subjected to all kinds of light treatment. One thing that blew me away is an Acan that was 5 polyps when I got it...... This Acan is now 50 polyps plus and it lives at the highest part of the tank closest to the light..... So much for being a " low light" coral ;)
Over the course of my tanks life I have noticed a couple of stages with the phosphate. There seems to be a stage where you can get most of the phos out of the water, then the live rock.... Left unchecked, the live rock quickly seems to bind the phosphate back to it.
I would say that I am at that stage where most of the phos has been removed from the live rock and there is little left. The tank is already 2.5 years old.....
Upon inspection this morning I can happily say the water is crystal clear and the tank is looking mint.

Let me do a phos test today.

Go slow homeys with your phosphate control . Bad things happen when you rush your reef.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
hows the phos going?
Hey mate, I have not been pushing it to the next level since all visible signs in the tank are showing that things are on track. When colours are strong, all polyps open and coralline is growing at a rate that you can see daily changes, I very seldom pull the test kits out.

Had to lop three x 50mm trunks off my Xenia last night. Thing was growing just insane.

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
lol didn't even sprout for some heat shrink on the chillier wiring!!! :p
Lol that was version 1.0 :)
You have a good point.... And you got me fair and square... Believe it or not there are two different heat shrinks in the cupboard , not much point them sitting there he says.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Looks and sounds interesting. Especially on the $$ side of things. What is the dosing requirements ? I got the 1ml into 1L of RO water. Is then just added into the sump ? and how much ?

I have an 80L AIO tank currently and using Rowaphos in a back in one of the rear sump sections to keep on top of Phosphate but curious as to this method if it is suitable......

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Looks and sounds interesting. Especially on the $$ side of things. What is the dosing requirements ? I got the 1ml into 1L of RO water. Is then just added into the sump ? and how much ?

I have an 80L AIO tank currently and using Rowaphos in a back in one of the rear sump sections to keep on top of Phosphate but curious as to this method if it is suitable......
Hey mate, I would say that this method is suitable, it works fine with brand name products specifically designed for reefs. Take for instance the ingredients for Randy's dosing , one of the ingredients is Damp Rid I think.

Sure with anything you will get those that say it's going to work and those that say it won't. I know that I satisfied with the performance so far, no sludge or build up to be seen and yes I have put more product in my tank.

Mate for your tank I think you should not dose more than 0.3 ml at a time that is about 8 drips. Add that to your tank water near the skimmer / so you don't affect your salinity levels with a heap of RO water , check your Phos every three days to work out the consumption / rate required to keep on top of Phos levels.
Make sure you have a skimmer to remove bound Phos.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Mate for your tank I think you should not dose more than 0.3 ml at a time that is about 8 drips. Add that to your tank water near the skimmer / so you don't affect your salinity levels with a heap of RO water , check your Phos every three days to work out the consumption / rate required to keep on top of Phos levels.
Make sure you have a skimmer to remove bound Phos.
Ok, so yeah I have a Tunze 9002 skimmer running in the middle section of my sump. With the dosing, is that 0.3ml of the (1ml into 1L RO water) mixture. So mix it up then add the 0.3ml each day ?

Also should I take out the Rowa phos when I put this in ?

cheers

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Ok, so yeah I have a Tunze 9002 skimmer running in the middle section of my sump. With the dosing, is that 0.3ml of the (1ml into 1L RO water) mixture. So mix it up then add the 0.3ml each day ?

Also should I take out the Rowa phos when I put this in ?

cheers
Firstly what is your phosphate on? When dosing this stuff i would recommend testing your water frequently for the first two weeks to fine tune your dosing regime.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Firstly what is your phosphate on? When dosing this stuff i would recommend testing your water frequently for the first two weeks to fine tune your dosing regime.
It hovers round 0.02-0.08 so I try to change Rowa as it rises.

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Yeah understand totally. You don't dose the straight liquid do you ? Only the final mixture with the RO water .... So if I started off with 0.1ml of the phos remover/RO water mixture and see how we go....... ...???