Reef Discussion

Apologies for the late response. Yes, it has gone a bit quiet on here so hopefully it will get going again. I know have the Pi writting the temperature to a Sqlite database and posting it to the website coldaston.com/temp.php. Starting tomorrow, I will start to build a new SD Card and document all of the good work Rob has done which is all on here but I will collate it into one place. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Right made a start on the document. Any ideas on how I can upload it to the wikki? For the time being I have put it here :
http://coldaston.com/AquaPi.pdf
Is there anyone out there who is good with graphics and be willing to produce a logo for AquaPi?
I am building a new SD Card from scratch to ensure what goes into the document actually works :-) Right, I will carry on.

Moreno5

Oct 1, 2013
Brilliant @Clownfishy, good to see you have made a start.
Sounds like you are being very thorough, will you be supplying all the code? Anywhere we can host an image of the SD card you are building? Would this work?

Let me know if I can help anywhere

Moreno5

Oct 1, 2013
More than happy to share the SD Card image if we can find somewhere to host it. All the code will be included although I am not graphing the data the same way as Rob yet.
Ok, surely we can just create a dropbox link to host the image, would that not work? That is how we do it at work. I think you can get 2gb free from them, I would be happy to create it.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If we setup a Micro community for this controller (@Rob already has one) we can host the image on @TheReefuge.

I'll chat to @Rob and get the details (I think I have them somewhere).

Moreno5

Oct 1, 2013
Thanks @macca_75 ,let me know if you need me to do anything. It would be good to get this all in one place for everyone.

Let us know the details when you have them.

Apocrathia

Nov 6, 2013
Just signed up to comment on this thread. I'm trying to get a copy of the image and any documentation. I'll gladly host this on my webserver for anyone who wants it.

Moreno5

Oct 1, 2013
Just signed up to comment on this thread. I'm trying to get a copy of the image and any documentation. I'll gladly host this on my webserver for anyone who wants it.
Thanks Apocrathia, but I think they were talking about hosting it here. This thread seems to have slowed right up. How are you getting on @Clownfishy

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@Moreno5 "Slowed up" maybe a little over the top, how about just plain "stopped"

@reefuge I have asked reefuge to get another ftp site, so once its established I'll post the backup.. I think it got blasted when the reefuge server was upgraded.

I have a backup of the www directory so the front end should all be operational, just copy it on. I had even done some cool stuff for the graphs plotting the last period over the current. i.e. overlay last weeks data on top of the current week.

So the thread is officially active again Ill post the raspberrypi backup files :) Hopefully one of you can get it running and field questions from other members as well.

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks reefuge... The ftp site is up again
OK whats on the ftp site :

STEP 1. Its should be a fully operational front end with a database, although the dates are probably too far in the past however the gauges should display the data and the trends should at least call up etc even though there is no data. if you can load from the ftp site and get the front end running we can get macca_75 to drop his latest trend files on the server and you can do further trend testing.

STEP 2. get your own data into the files.... lets start with getting the front end going first :)

The ftp site has a directory www rev 1
If you place all the files and subdirectories in /var/www you are nearly done. There is one directory which is called usr_lib_cgi-bin there is two cgi files in this directory. One called test.cgi and the other aquatrend.cgi. You need to move these files into /usr/lib/cgi-bin I would try the test cgi file out first just to make sure Apache can run cgi files. For the cgi test in your browser type in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/test.cgi That should run the test cgi file. Other than that it should be OK. /var/log/apache2/error.log will assist if something does not work. You may have trouble with file permissions however you should be able to work it out. The web site is very easy now with only a few files required.

Installing these files you should have a fully functional front end. The subdirectory already has an rrd database with data so you can pull up trends etc.

What is not uploaded is the script to gather data and populate rrd database and the text file aqua_tag.txt. You should be able to manually change aquatag.txt values and whilst the web site is in a browser press scan and the gauges will update.

You will need an ftp explorer as the files are not zipped and if you go into the link it will try and 1/2 load index.html and you will not see any files.

you only need this backup of my RPi directory place the contents in /var/www

http://raspberry.lavapixel.com

I just use the firefox addin (fire ftp) seems to work ok. You should not need a password

Last edited:

Moreno5

Oct 1, 2013
Is this an FTP link Rob? It is asking for a username and password.
Thanks for sharing, the thread has officially started again ;)

Apocrathia

Nov 6, 2013
yes it is an ftp site
@Rob @The Reefuge Tried logging into the FTP. There's no anonymous login, and it doesn't seem to be linked to forum credentials... I'm logging in through a command-line FTP client, so that I can script updates in conjunction with git, and keep a version controlled repository for the source.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

There is no anon login. The account was set up for Rob to upload his files as a temporary method to distribute the code. I highly suggest someone creates a Raspberry micro-community on here and uses GitHub to distribute code.

Thanks.