Reef Discussion

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Red Sea Reefer
Biting the bullet after 3 months and considering a Red Sea Reefer 425. Current tank is way too tall ( compulsive on the spot buyer ) although looks great it is way to hard for me to do anything in which in return making reefing feel like work!

Are these all they are cracked up to be? They look great but are they worth the $$$? Any info other than what is on their site would be appreciated.

Also, being that the current system is only 3 months old, would the curret livestock be ok to be moved into a new tank?
TIA

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
I had a 250 and I loved it! Only things that annoyed me were the very touchy gate valve to achieve the correct water level,the filter socks were a pain, but then they released mesh types which were a lot easier to clean.
Also the RO resovior seemed too small so required too regular of a top up, a lot of people experienced blockages as well at the float mechanism ( I never did) but I removed it anyway and ran a tunze unit with a 25l drum.
Apart from that they go together quite solid. Make sure your floor is reasonably level as there is no adjusting feet well not in my old 250 anyway

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Are these all they are cracked up to be? They look great but are they worth the $$$? Any info other than what is on their site would be appreciated.
From what ive read/seen, most people are happy with RedSea/Cade systems (usually most will do a little fine tuning to either, but this seems to be personal preference).

Also, being that the current system is only 3 months old, would the curret livestock be ok to be moved into a new tank?
TIA
Provided that you cycle the new tank (or wait for mini cycle), and acclimate them (livestock etc) accordingly, no probs :)

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
From what ive read/seen, most people are happy with RedSea/Cade systems (usually most will do a little fine tuning to either, but this seems to be personal preference).

Provided that you cycle the new tank (or wait for mini cycle), and acclimate them (livestock etc) accordingly, no probs :)
This in turn causes an issue as the new tank would have to go in the spot that this is. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank as yet to put any of my livestock in whilst this is happening.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
I had a 250 and I loved it! Only things that annoyed me were the very touchy gate valve to achieve the correct water level,the filter socks were a pain, but then they released mesh types which were a lot easier to clean.
Also the RO resovior seemed too small so required too regular of a top up, a lot of people experienced blockages as well at the float mechanism ( I never did) but I removed it anyway and ran a tunze unit with a 25l drum.
Apart from that they go together quite solid. Make sure your floor is reasonably level as there is no adjusting feet well not in my old 250 anyway
Thank you @athawoot.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Placed my order for the 525 xl today, excited yet stressed about my livestock. Def going to miss the look of the height of the current tank in the house but am looking forward to being able to actually do what I need to in this new set up.
Thank you all for your feedback.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
I had a look at the 425 xl, looked fantastic, read up on it and judging by the forum was no real problems with it so took the plunge...came home, moved things around and made a call to go up a size. Looking forward to getting it up and running.