Tank Journal Archive

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Rocks Reef 2 45cmWx45cmDx75cmH (New FTS added 10/02/13)
Introduction:
3rd reef tank here in Oz, just a slight upgrade. Few scratches :( but can't really argue atm.

Reefing Since: 2006-8?

System Objectives: Just to have something that looks nice, keeps my kids in check, and a conversation piece when visitors come over lol

Type of reef: Mixed Softies and LPS

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 12th Feb 2012 (tank transfer date)

Display Tank Dimensions: 450mmx450mmx750mm

Display Lighting: 2 x Naqua Coral Flares

Stand: Pine, stained black

Hood or Rimless: Hoodless

Sump Design: Racetrack?

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: Jeboa WP-25

Return Pump: 5500lph running through a SCWD

Skimmer: Bubblemagus NAC3.5.

Evaporation Top Up: DIY Auto

Other Equipment: Teco TR5 chiller

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: Manually dosing red sea

Inhabitants:

1x Perc
1x BTA
1x Green/blue Chromus
1x Dwarf Hawk
3x Hammer
2x Duncan Colonies
1x Duncan frag
2x Toadstool Leather
Countless different morphs
1x Blasto frag
Countless Zoa frags
Few Acan colonies

Countless turbos scouring the rocks (wish they spent more time on the damn glass!) Update: they now spend too much time on the glass...:mad:
few Trochus
Couple Nass snails
2x Hermit crabs
and a Tuxedo Urchin somewhere in there. I saw it last night so I know its still roaming.

When I started this tank

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Tall_20tank_003.jpg

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Tall_20tank_002.jpg

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Tall_20tank_tank002.jpg

17/07/12

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Tall_20tank_16712039.jpg

To now 10/02/13
ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Tall_20tank_DSC_0036_zps4f8c7996.jpg

And a few random pics thrown in to boot

ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Tall_20tank_DSC_0034_zpsc51e31cb.jpg
ai281.photobucket.com_albums_kk227_rockerpeller_Tall_20tank_DSC_0007_zps6d1c8521.jpg

Last edited:

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Just as a heads-up. the scape is in no way finished, hence the reason there is very little sand. Waiting on acrylic tube to be delivered, so I can drill and prop up a decent scape.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Lighting is the fun bit. Definitely looking toward Cree LEDs. Optics are a must with such a tall tank, but I only want a couple of fungia on the bottom anyway. The tall type that can shed sand from themselves if they get covered somehow. couldn't really do the flatter ones as I won't have rubble

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Thats a pretty sexy looking tank... I really like the look of really tall skinny tanks. I cant wait to see it stocked with corals!

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Thats a pretty sexy looking tank... I really like the look of really tall skinny tanks. I cant wait to see it stocked with corals!
Now thats a definite... it looks too naked without many corals atm...
Need to get a couple of strong magnets to help with the rockscape. I got an idea on how I'm going to build it up, I just need to see if I can get the job done without any major dramas.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Now thats a definite... it looks too naked without many corals atm...
Need to get a couple of strong magnets to help with the rockscape. I got an idea on how I'm going to build it up, I just need to see if I can get the job done without any major dramas.
:poidh

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
when I've finished the scape, you shouldn't be able to see the weir at all (besides the top 1/4).;) Thats why I need the magnets, to stick the rock to it near the top for more stability

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I don't know about that. The magnets for the cheap jvp powerheads are pretty damn strong. Pinched my finger between 2 by accident, and now I have a big blood-blister covering the top of my finger :confused:

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I don't know about that. The magnets for the cheap jvp powerheads are pretty damn strong. Pinched my finger between 2 by accident, and now I have a big blood-blister covering the top of my finger :confused:
only problem is they slide on glass. tryed it for my acrilic box to hold it down!

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
The scape will stretch 3/4s of the height of the weir. The magnets are just to stop it toppling toward the front of the tank. More of a safety precaution, as I'll have to build the base up a bit to support the weight

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i understand. i thought you wanted to hold rocks up against the back wall with magnets and nothing supporting it! :D cant wait to see the scape properly done. it will be difficult to get it looking good but im sure you can pull it off!

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Almost have to. With my finger tips on the bottom, the water comes up to my armpit, and that's at the front of the tank... Need to load the bottom with sand, so I don't have to reach as far. That'll come after I sort the scape.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
i understand. i thought you wanted to hold rocks up against the back wall with magnets and nothing supporting it! :D cant wait to see the scape properly done. it will be difficult to get it looking good but im sure you can pull it off!
Thinking of getting a grinder with a masonry cutting wheel to cut the shape of the overflow out of the rock so they slot on it. Should be easy as I used to be a paver and having to cut cobbles to fit weird shapes. The cutter will be like a knife through butter with coral rock in comparison to baked solid cobbles.