Tank Journal Archive

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
So its been well over a year since I have purchased anything for my tank. I now have two new additions thanks to sailfin.

- A green spotted baby clam
- Coca tube worm

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_IMG_9937_resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_IMG_9939_resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_IMG_9943_resize.jpg

Doesn't it just look beautiful!!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Man my old clam looks like a spec next to your big fella, has it grown much more since the pics?

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
I dont target feed any of my corals/clams. Never have for the past 3 years.
The only thing I dose in my tank is bi-carb and calcium. Even the huge elegance in my tank.. Dont target feed anything.

Will try and get some more updated pics of the new clam and the other two in my tank.
The big clam in my tank has grown another layer since that pic :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
still looking nice a blue :)

That two tone hammer behind looks awesome as well!

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
With the tube worm see how there is two of them in there? Well last week or the week before one of it closed up and I didn't see it for a whole week. I thought maybe its not liking my tank or my fish tried to eat it.
Then just few days ago a small baby one has come out and it looks bigger and darker. Looks incredible. Will try and get a pic.

So spent 2 hours yesterday cleaning my sump and draining all the water out. Thought might as well do a big water change and clean all the crap in there.

Since my sump wasn't designed properly like I asked 3 years ago I have been keeping my skimmer on a plastic container which has trapped a lot of stuff underneath it. So spent a long time cleaning it all out yesterday.

Im about to go to York Precision Plastics and pick up some egg crate and build a stand for the skimmer :) Also purchased a new return pump (just one from guppies) so hopefully that arrives tomorrow.

Oh and when I was cleaning the sump out I had a look at one of my heaters (pro aqua) and went to clean it and noticed black grease up near the dials. I went to rub it with my fingers and it just wouldn't come off!!!!!!!!!!!!! I washed my hands atleast 10 times and its only 1/4 of washed out and it smells sooooooooooooooo bad!!! I felt like vomiting after smelling that. No idea what the black grease stuff was but no doubt its bad for the tank. So off to buy a good heater today.

I still got a bit of that grease on my finger. Even after two showers and scrubbing it like crazy there is still a little bit left on my fingers.

So I highly suggest you all check your heathers every now and then.

On other news..

I purchased an 1000L IBC from adam (Aquarium Excellence) last week. Must say awesome service and very helpful person. Thanks once again adam.

So in the process of building a stand for the IBC as its hard getting water out from the tap at the bottom. Also big thanks to my neighbor with helping with the stand.

Some progress pics:

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_IMG_0337_resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_IMG_0338_resize.jpg

Also if anyone wants some water come over. $3 bucks per container (20L).
Bring a small pump and hose if possible.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Got some egg crate today from YPP for like 24 bucks each. I thought it would have thicker like the one I got years back from st-george..

Anyways my quick 5mins ghetto stand.. It works :)

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_IMG_0340_resize.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I am envious of the IBC :rolleyes Out of interest, how does the price of this compare to a similar sized rainwater tank, which I assume would be suitable for storing salt water.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Indeed IBC will make life much easier.

Before this myself and my neighbour use to go halves and get water delivered in the 500L drums we purchased from bunnings for 80 bucks. But a year ago he closed down his tank and well I only use to do water changes once a month so wasn't worth buying 500L at a time. But soon realized i hated taking 2 or 3 small 20L drums to the store to get it filled.
So more than a year went past and well I finally invested in one. I wanted something that is super tight so nothing can go in and has a tap.

The $80 bunnings drum is perfectly fine, but is not air tight.

I actually used two of these drums for a month while I build my stand 3 years ago.

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_Tank_IMG_1311.jpg

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Also its perfect for temporaily storing your corals somewhere. Plus its cheap. 80 bucks you cant go wrong. I still got both of them incase I need to move tanks one day.

Edit- Sorry forgot to answer your question. I picked up the IBC plus 1000L for $280 :)

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_Tank_IMG_1312.jpg

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Nope none at all. Well nothing I noticed when testing the water.

The corals were in those drums for more than a month I reckon as I still had to build a stand and get the weir made.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
may check them out, I was thinking of hitting adam up for a few of the 200l drums he sells or doing this, as you are right, filling up a few buckets at a time sucks

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Yea the 200L drums will be great.

Some really quick shots:Will take some proper shots later on this week.

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_feb28_6resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_feb28_5resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_feb28_4resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_feb28_3resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_feb28_2resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_feb28_1resize.jpg