Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I am surprised by the difference in colour. I use RODI but had never compared colour like that. I might see if i can find a couple of white drums so i can see the difference in mine.
I am hoping the Sips polish the water as they claim. Fish food / spirulina can turn the water brown or green from my experience.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Digging the new rocks Nils :D And the fish are looking GORGEOUS I love those little guys!!!! lol

Can't wait to see how it goes for you :) Biggles also runs some of his in the overflow too :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Digging the new rocks Nils :D And the fish are looking GORGEOUS I love those little guys!!!! lol

Can't wait to see how it goes for you :) Biggles also runs some of his in the overflow too :)
Hahaha - I dragged out the Pagoda rocks from storage and chucked them in there after getting the shits with the tank - the liverock is now dry and parked off in front of my car.
The Angels love the caves just like little cichlids do....
I have the acrylic blue laser cut background for the tank anytime to cover this shambles up however these things don't bother me.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
image.jpg

Day 2: Catch and release on the trout spinning rod - 1000 reel four pound line and leader. Spooled by his brother.
The 1000 challenge is the game I play.
image.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I do like your experiments gotta say!

What kind of surface area do they have in comparison to Marine Pure?

And is there much flow going over them or will you clean them every now and then?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I do like your experiments gotta say!

What kind of surface area do they have in comparison to Marine Pure?

And is there much flow going over them or will you clean them every now and then?
Hi Megan,
Cheers for the encouragement.
To be fair I am only familiar with Seachem Matrix , having used it for
both fresh and salt.
Back then the amount I used was nowhere close to this trial amount.
Nitrates were present in my tank at about 20ppm on the salt water side and 50ppm on the fresh.
This was in the days before dosing VSV to lower phos and nitrate.
By using such a large volume I am hoping not to supplement the bacteria with VSV to speed up the process of nitrification.

What sold me on the Siporax is the success of some amazing Brazilian reefers tanks.
They are feeding thier tanks heavily and yet maintaining pristine water conditions.

The water flows well through the set up as it is , but I plan on making a suitable container to allow quick removal to clean the coast to coast.
There may even be some strategic stacking of the noodles in an efficient pattern on the cards. ( yet to figure that out )