Help / Suggestions

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
site slowness last 2 days
Hi all,
we have noticed the site has been performing quite slow in the last couple of days, i have tried this on 3 connections and get the same responses.

1. telstra adasl2 connection
2. optus connection via 3g
3. telstra bdsl

it will come up with the following message, when we logon

The Reefuge - Error
This action is available via POST only. Please press the back button and try again
It will take a couple of mins to load the page , when getting into the forums, it the same as well as well as replies as well.
slow site.JPG
slow site.JPG
slow site.JPG
slow site.JPG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Reefuge was down yesterday for upgrades. although the ping isnt a good way to judge it. remember the servers are overseas and you will get a larger ping then a website hosted in Aus

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello chris B,

I am not having problems accessing the site from any ISP. The server has been tweaked in the last few days, but that should not be causing you problems. It may be a routing issue via your isp at their exchange or your home network. The server is based in the USA and not Australia.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello chris B,

I am not too sure what is happening. The server on this end seems to be running fine. It could possibly be a routing issue for the ISP.

Thanks.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Just for the sake of making a point - ping information is only really useful to determine if a host is up (though lost packets may be of interest). There are other tests that could be tried, but even the information they provide is of limited diagnostic use unless you understand the typical landing points and routing paths your ISPs data usually goes through to get you to a specific server.
Different routing paths and a million problems of course can obscure things a bit, so even things like traceroute have limited use over the Internet*

*if you know the usual routing paths your ISP takes to specific countries or networks you can sometimes pickup an idea as to when the path seems unusual that perhaps there is a problem along the traditional route that might explain excessive lag, or poor performance. Non-ideal routes can be taken as is the nature of the internet, but things can go wrong occasionally. I counted nearly 30 hops last night, so that's 30 possible points of failure from my ISP before the data gets to and from the reefuge. This is stuff beyond the comprehension of most people, and the situation varies greatly between ISPs, their POPs and their peers, so I'm not inclined to go into this any deeper.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
This started when the upgrade on the site was completed.it still happing on telstra services and optus services, I think its an issue with the hosting company and the site owner can only fix the issues, that why you do not jost on usa servers of the link or routing is causing issuee .

The reefuge has to look into these issues.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
If you're the only one seeing the problem, it's a pretty fair bet that it's not at the host end. If it was a host specific problem, everyone would be seeing the issue. If it's anywhere in between, the reefuge can't do a thing about it. Telstra's issues today indicate how blind they are in dealing with routing, and anything over 3G is just a miracle that it works.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
this happens on optus services and also telstra services, this is the only website is the slowest , compared to other sites for marine sites

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Because you're the only one seeing the problem, it's a pretty fair bet that we'll never get to the bottom of that problem then. Pretty hard to diagnose a fault that only affects one person when there are so many uncontrollable variables. Very frustrating I'm sure, but continuing to discuss how frustrating it is won't change the fact that if there was anything that The Reefuge could fix, it would be fixed already. If it was happening to me, I'd be frustrated too. I have low tolerance for sites that don't behave, so I'd have probably gone elsewhere.
I can definitely sympathise with how frustrating these type of problems are!

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
ok please explain this, it happing at home which is telstra, my work connection which 100mbps connection which is optus and my optus 3g mobile broadband, does all the same, any other sites i goto overseas are working fine with no slowness, i have even today went to a friends internet connection and its the same issues, it might be isolated to sydney only, i am wondering if anyone in nsw having the same issues.

LFSdirect

Jul 11, 2011
Sydney
My Optus 3G is fine , been thrashing my phone for days on this site . Only time I left was to go to reef central when site maintenance was done a few afternoons ago. Primus at home PC seems ok! That uses Telstra infrastructure. No problems with my service.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I get the sameerror message when posting sometimes. In my case it is because of a vodafone 3g "broadband" modem!

When im at work its fine.