Help / Suggestions

Sketchup For Dummies
Hi guys
i have seen many reefers from Masa using sketchup to design their new builds
just wanted to know if anyone had an walk throughs they knew of to use the program
in the menu it asks what sort of build you want to do? which one do we pick?
ive seen people do some really detailed ones that contained LED units and even skimmers
all help welcomed thanks
Tim

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I'm with Tim on this one. I have very limited knowledge of sketch up I have made a few things but no where to the quality of others. I would also love to see how people render their images after they create them in sketchup

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just starting this journey myself Tim - will let you know if I find anything. Generally, with this type of program you can quickly get the basics sorted but there are no shortcuts to becoming proficient at detailed pictures. :)

The Above pictures are probably some of the most elaborate designs ive ever seen used through sketchup ahah :D i want to design one ( yeah one of many) of my dream tanks like this) my other dream tank is like the 20,000 gallon tank it atlantis marine worls ( google it ) !!! ahah

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I'm with you guys...just starting to use sketchup as I want to incorporate a tank in a gazebo...pics do come, but don't hold your breath

atm look like it haha
maybe you could put up a roll down shadecloth
or blind /lattice otherwise u might get alot of algae growth on the window :P
look awesome anyway hehe
is thst ur fish room behind it?

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
The roof has a big overhang so may cop a little sunlight very late in the afternoon.....and yes that would be workshop and fish room.....my man cave!!

VERY NICE :) wish i had one ahha yet it'd be a teen retreat for me ahha...im 17 lol
but yeah it does look like the overhang is huge but yeah roll some lattice with shadecloth
attached would fix most of the pro and still allow the breeze to come in ahha
( used to have a similar setup in aother house ) aha
goodluck mate
lookin forward for pics ahha
whatya gonna stock it with ?
mixed reef, fowlr? etc

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sven, looks like an exiting project. I must admit that I have never seen an external setup like this before.

How cold do you winters get in Sydney?? Or how hot are your summers?? Located like this I would think that the ambient air temperature would have a significant effect on the tank water temperature given that the glass will be exposed resulting in significant heating/cooling issues.

Most tanks are located indoors and are thus protected somewhat from the external weather conditions.

On another point, given the flat roof etc you might consider using Solatubes to light the tank??

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I'm probably getting ahead of myself as only just starting into all this but I already have approval to build the gazebo and wife wants it for summer so just started thinking why not make it more fun plus looks good IMO....at least it needs to be able to take tank if I go this way.

In the dead of winter, lowest is really only say 10 degrees but summer would be more of a problem with 35 degree days but figure this can be solved with the right size chiller...and yes solar tubes would be very easy although not sure how that makes the tank look compared to artificial light.

The sketch was a starting point with 8' tank x 2'6" high......would love to look at 3' wide....anyway for now need to plan for whats going in.

As an aside how would you light a 8' x 3'.... 2 x 4' lights length ways or 4 x 2' across the tank (or would you have to go to 3')

Ah i c ahha what about clear roll down Plastic blinds ?
my uncle and aunty have one to keep moisture out of their alfrescho
yet still let moisture out when they need to ( roll them up ahha)
goodluck

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
sorry i cant help about the glass thing but have you considered putting a double glazed window in front of the tank to keep the heat out.

Or double glaze the front of the tank and fill the cavity with nitrogen! I joked about this once on a planted tank forum when people were talking about insulating their tanks, but i have just found the perfect application for such a tank.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I had thought of having the front pane of glass of the tank as double glazing but I think the money may be better spent on larger chiller and heaters.

I mean tanks are kept in hotter and colder places than where I intend to.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
that setup will be fine like that. why would sun be an issue?
just need a nice bigg chiller and good heating. solar tubes for light. will work great! :cool: