Reef Discussion

mr1jz

Sep 24, 2013
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the JNS C01.
Sub $400.
Small footprint of 16x22cm
200 gallon rated.

I've got one on my mini reef 150 and love it.

I can't post the link but reefsecrets is where I got mine from. There is plenty of talk about them in the US but they are called Aquamaxx over there instead.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
From advanced Aquarist, its a very long article.
Conclusions
Many factors contribute to the "value" of a skimmer to an aquarist, including quality of construction, size, footprint, noise level, ease of cleaning, energy efficiency of the pump, and of course, the ability to remove organic waste from aquarium water. Our data show that there are not compelling or remarkably large differences in measurable skimmer TOC removal metrics among the seven skimmers tested, although the Reef Octopus 150 consistently underperformed compared to the other skimmers. However, in the larger picture, it is equally apparent that if an aquarist runs a skimmer continuously (24/7), then any of the skimmers tested would perform adequately in terms of rate of TOC removal; the only practical differences might involve the frequency of skimmer cup cleaning. A perhaps more interesting observation to emerge from these skimmer studies involves not the rate of TOC removal, but rather the amount of TOC removed. None of the skimmers tested removed more than 35% of the extant TOC, leading to the conclusion that bubbles are really not a very effective medium for organic nutrient removal.

I really cannot defend my statement below however based on what I read :
If a skimmer only removes up to 20~35% of TOC from your aquarium getting a better skimmer only marginally improves the overall result which in fact may not have a measurable change, even if you end up changing the skimmer cup more frequently..... Could there be better places to spend our money.. ?
Skimmers are basically 1 of 3 designs from memory - look at the pump in terms of operating efficiency (as these things suck juice 24x7x365) and reliability, noise (or lack there of - skimmers are often the most noisy piece of equipment we own and craftmanship (well I guess usually all that goes wrong is the pumps - see the first point).

As for double or triple volumes for ratings, understand what the rating is. Tunze explain it really well. https://www.tunze.com/en/catalogue/katalog-ii.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter027

Usually "better" branded skimmers rate their equipment more realistically - some of the cheaper manufacturers tend to stretch the truth a little.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Look up the redfield ratio. Esentially, to reduce nitrates you need some phosphates and vice versa.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I am looking to get a Bio-pellet reactor for my my 400lt tank to try and help with levels is there a certain size i should be looking at please

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
I am looking to get a Bio-pellet reactor for my my 400lt tank to try and help with levels is there a certain size i should be looking at please
Work backwards on this one .. how many cups/mls of pellets (brand dependent) do you require for your total water volumne. Then look at the reactor to determine how much it will hold.

For example, my tank is 150lts. I use NPX pellets. Recommeded dosing is 100mls per 100lts, so I use 150mls or just over half a cup. Given the small amount I am using, I chose to use a TLF150 (modified for pellets though).

TBH - given all your recent posts about the issues you have with your tank, can i suggest you may benefit from a tank reboot? start it up correctly the first time, with your chosen methods of nitrate/p04 control, so you're not having to retrofit solutions to deal with pretty basic water issues that can be controlled from the initial set up. The problem with retrofitting solutions after the issue occurs is most if not all solutions require time and patience to correct. Set it up correct from the start and you only have tweak your solution to fix smaller issues instead of finding a solution to a larger problem. just my 2cents.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Work backwards on this one .. how many cups/mls of pellets (brand dependent) do you require for your total water volumne. Then look at the reactor to determine how much it will hold.

For example, my tank is 150lts. I use NPX pellets. Recommeded dosing is 100mls per 100lts, so I use 150mls or just over half a cup. Given the small amount I am using, I chose to use a TLF150 (modified for pellets though).

TBH - given all your recent posts about the issues you have with your tank, can i suggest you may benefit from a tank reboot? start it up correctly the first time, with your chosen methods of nitrate/p04 control, so you're not having to retrofit solutions to deal with pretty basic water issues that can be controlled from the initial set up. The problem with retrofitting solutions after the issue occurs is most if not all solutions require time and patience to correct. Set it up correct from the start and you only have tweak your solution to fix smaller issues instead of finding a solution to a larger problem. just my 2cents.
I am not sure what you mean about rebooting,appreciate your 2 cents

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have added my new skimmer coral box 500, the 700 would not fit, so I am hoping it will help
Turn the pump to say 8/10 speed.
Open the gate valve fully open and then throttle the water level down to 2 inches below the skimmer cup.
In two weeks time repeat this process but with pump set to 10/10 speed.