Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The Reefuge Device?
Please vote on the poll.

Hello everyone,

I would like some feedback from you guys regarding a new idea we may implement in the future. The idea is in its very early stages so I can not provide any more information than what is written below. Please note that none of the information is guaranteed. This is purely hypothetical.

DeviceX

You will set up your device simply by typing in your username, password and #ID of your tank journal. You will then connect your device to the internet via wifi.

DeviceX will be a small box fitted with a small computer (arduino, raspberry pi, etc). It will have probes for temperature and pH (maybe more) that will sit in your tank and log the readings. It will then send that information to The Reefuge.

The Reefuge will then take that data "x" times every 24 hours and graph it. The graph will display in the header section of your tank journal. Over time you will have a nice graph of your tank parameters with dates, times, etc.

Example

graph.png

We are trying to keep the device as simple and cheap as possible.

Please vote on the poll if you will be interested in buying this device.

We have no idea about the pricing yet but anticipate it to be between $150 - $200. It may be a bit less or a bit more. These are just estimates.

Thanks.

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I also voted no :p

I love the idea and it's super cool and I am sure lots of people will love it ... but being honest, which TR needs here to assess market demand, it's a gimmick that I wouldn't pay $200 for, personally. Hell I don't even test my temperature of pH manually nevermind via some fancy gadget that plots the results online.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne

I love the idea and it's super cool and I am sure lots of people will love it ... but being honest, which TR needs here to assess market demand, it's a gimmick that I wouldn't pay $200 for, personally. Hell I don't even test my temperature of pH manually nevermind via some fancy gadget that plots the results online.
I agree there, I'd be looking at spending that money on a ninja block instead which would be significantly more useful for me personally. I like the idea though :) I'd be interested if there were more parameters being measured.

izzywitt

Oct 21, 2013
Would it have power ports to control temp and pH? If so would be an awesome gadget to buy!!!!!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney

this is fair enough and i guess that's what @The Reefuge is looking to see.

keeping in mind though, the benefit of this which is cool is auto reporting back and to your TJ i think its awesome, and while i have an Apex, i would invest in one of these for the sole purpose of having that extra TJ feature :P

Would it have power ports to control temp and pH? If so would be an awesome gadget to buy!!!!!
i dont believe this will as it is usng the K.I.S.S method and basically acting as a reporting tool more so then a controller, which is where you could incorporate a ninja block into it?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This is where things start to get a bit hard - adding in control for 240v devices, whilst not difficult, would make the cost prohibitive due to numerous government regulations which would need to be complied with.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I obviously think its a great idea So its a yes from me but.....

From a user perspective admiring other TJ I am alot more interested in the trend of their water tests, No3 Po4 Kh ALk Mg and its a "cool" factor being able to stream in temp/ph data.

So maybe the ability to enter water test results could be a first phase and then the ability to add automatic updates for other variables that we can continuously measure

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I obviously think its a great idea So its a yes from me but.....

From a user perspective admiring other TJ I am alot more interested in the trend of their water tests, No3 Po4 Kh ALk Mg and its a "cool" factor being able to stream in temp/ph data.

So maybe the ability to enter water test results could be a first phase and then the ability to add automatic updates for other variables that we can continuously measure
Hello @Rob,

This would be a good feature. The problem is, this is WAY out of my abilities to program. I will need to outsource this job and I am not sure it will be worth it if users will not update their water tests on a regular basis. Automating it would at least see it used.

Thanks.