Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The Salina Is Finally Here
Big thanks to Billy at Starfire Aquatics for the amazing tank build and for organising the stand! I love the dimensions of this, stand and tank both. And the sump is pretty awesome too, including two-level divider handcut to size.

Enough yapping, here are the pics.

Stand is 1000 high, tank is 300 high, making it a great height to view both standing up and sitting on the sofa.
ai.imgur.com_ydPhwPN.jpg

Sump has a nice space for RO, and two compartments for SKimmer, Biopellet reactor, and Marine Pure Spheres.
ai.imgur.com_ZKzbzWl.jpg

ai.imgur.com_JbkDqjo.jpg

Bit of a tight fit ... but making use of the space available.
ai.imgur.com_rD8yn88.jpg

12mm Starfire ...
ai.imgur.com_3ujp8nU.jpg

And in contrast, the back is float. Just a tad of difference ...
ai.imgur.com_SsbuqLE.jpg

Next to drilling and painting!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Awesome Pete! Can't wait to see the progress of this one!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
What are the tank dimensions? (other than the 300mm high).
That's a tank shape I've been thinking about for a while.
I'll certainly be watching this come together.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks all.
What are the tank dimensions? (other than the 300mm high).
That's a tank shape I've been thinking about for a while.
I'll certainly be watching this come together.
It's 700x700x300. I almost went 750x750 but it's a good thing I didn't as the stand fit through our front door with a matter of 5mm to spare!

Sump is 550x550x450.

Gorgeous!!!!

Why not have the builder drill before assembly though??
We discussed it, but as I am using the Oceanlife Overflow he felt he wasn't familiar enough with it to know exactly where the holes need to be. And as I drilled my previous tank I felt comfortable drilling it myself so didn't mind.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Big thanks to Billy at Starfire Aquatics for the amazing tank build and for organising the stand! I love the dimensions of this, stand and tank both. And the sump is pretty awesome too, including two-level divider handcut to size.

Enough yapping, here are the pics.

Stand is 1000 high, tank is 300 high, making it a great height to view both standing up and sitting on the sofa.
View attachment 44163
Sump has a nice space for RO, and two compartments for SKimmer, Biopellet reactor, and Marine Pure Spheres.
View attachment 44164
View attachment 44165
Bit of a tight fit ... but making use of the space available.
View attachment 44166
12mm Starfire ...
View attachment 44167
And in contrast, the back is float. Just a tad of difference ...
View attachment 44168

Next to drilling and painting!
Fcccccckkk dude, mind the language.. But that's such a sexy tank build.. My ideal size.. And I love shallow tanks..my next build was gonna be this.. But I've decided on a 2ft cube..

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
You're going to love the tank stand height, perfect height for fiddling with coral and rock etc.
What sort of scape are you toying with?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
You're going to love the tank stand height, perfect height for fiddling with coral and rock etc.
What sort of scape are you toying with?
Open! I have another thread somewhere with initial ideas ... Hope to get some dry reef rock for the main piece plus some pieces I already have.
Looks like a good start - but why 12mm?
Good question! I actually didn't specify, Billy said he would normally use 10mm for this kind of size but had some 12mm 'offcuts' and figured he would use that. Thankfully I like the thick glass!