Reef Discussion

They Replaced My Tank...
I had my tank remade due to them not making it according to plan (15cm deep overflow instead of 20cm). This time they again didn't make it to plan, but in a less significant way. The hole drilled for my return was meant to be 27mm, but is 25mm. That means I can't fit the hansen 20mm bulkhead in there (return pump is an eheim compact 2000+, 20mm hose).

alh5.googleusercontent.com__tUankaPYd1g_VJpIPRBfatI_AAAAAAAAZC1d0070fc4435510cf2e3e864d848a965.jpg

What are my options?
Is there a bulkhead that will fix my problem?
Should I shave 2mm off my bulkhead?
Should I just use a reducing coupling to run the water through a smaller bulkhead?

According to this I could fit a 15mm bulkhead in, but that's a pretty significant decrease in size.

Thanks for your help already!

Also, my plumbing is a little cramped, but functional (I hope).

alh3.googleusercontent.com__kRjnnDSuuTs_VJpIR_BChZI_AAAAAAAAZC1abfdcc9e3b13a1ef39ae782d76ed8bf.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__Nu48_BVh1_Y_VJpIVLFy_oI_AAAAAAAAZC6245e89be91ccdf79d70db7fed92df8e.jpg

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
What a PIA.
Not sure what you're options are but someone on here will know.
Quick trip yo bunnings and see your options. You would have calculate the flow reduction also to see it going down to 15mm is suitable

Bunnings don't sell tank outlets (bulkheads) - my sister works for their head office.

You need to name this tank builder goose to save someone else such problems.

In my opinion you will never accurately get 2mm off that hole in the glass. Remember, glass is not drilled, it is slowly ground away from the polished face.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Bunnings don't sell tank outlets (bulkheads) - my sister works for their head office.

You need to name this tank builder goose to save someone else such problems.

In my opinion you will never accurately get 2mm off that hole in the glass. Remember, glass is not drilled, it is slowly ground away from the polished face.
I bought all my bulkheads from Bunnings :p

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
same here, that hole is the perfect size for a 1" bulkhead, 1" being 2.5 cm=25mm, then from there you could probably get an easy adapter for that extra 2mm

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I had my tank remade due to them not making it according to plan (15cm deep overflow instead of 20cm). This time they again didn't make it to plan, but in a less significant way. The hole drilled for my return was meant to be 27mm, but is 25mm. That means I can't fit the hansen 20mm bulkhead in there (return pump is an eheim compact 2000+, 20mm hose).

View attachment 46707

What are my options?
Is there a bulkhead that will fix my problem?
Should I shave 2mm off my bulkhead?
Should I just use a reducing coupling to run the water through a smaller bulkhead?

According to this I could fit a 15mm bulkhead in, but that's a pretty significant decrease in size.

Thanks for your help already!

Also, my plumbing is a little cramped, but functional (I hope).

View attachment 46708

View attachment 46709
Your tank builders a chode. That's all I can say.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
only a minor issue. i wouldnt be running 3 bean anyway would have one full siphon like shane said

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
I'd be pretty confident of being able to re-drill that with a jig (piece of wood with a hole in it) - IMO give them a call and make them come around.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I guarantee you this, they'd have one pissed off Irishman on their hands and a trip in front of a judge would be in order if they didn't fix it to the specs laid out.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I'd be getting the tank builder to do it. They stuff it, they replace it. Demand to get what you order/payed for. I think it could be re-jigged and redrilled, but would take the risk myself. Get them to do it. Don't compromise unless they compensate (and you have an alternative that works).

Personally I wouldn't shave anything of any bulkhead - they are designed that way for a reason. If it could be 2mm thinner, they would make them thinner and save money.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You'd have to put that bulkhead in a lathe, turn off the threads and re thread it. You'd also have to make a new nut for it as well. Not a job I'd want to do and I'm a machinist and after I paid someone to do the job correctly. I've never had to re drill a tank so I don't know if that would work or not.