Tank Journal Archive

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My wife got a message from our LFS the other day saying they were getting green sun corals!!!! As you might understand I ordered one!

Nothing has really changed in this tank... The mantis got a treat today with some live crabs we picked up from under some rocks at the beach. It was pretty cool to finally see him in action! Unfortunately I was very unprepared with the camera and will try better next time :(

The sun coral and dendro I have in there are really liking the food I made for them and expanding well everyday. The stupid damsel fish has taken a holiday in the back section of the tank and seems to be enjoying life on the rocks!

Heres a couple of pics of the dendro... Note the polyps on this thing are smaller than the polyps on my acro!
dendro polyps.jpg
dendro.jpg

Heres another shot of the sun coral after a feed
suncoral.jpg

And the obligatory full tank shot
mantis tank fts.jpg

Thanks for reading.
Jack.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I should also mention that since I put the NPS corals in here I have cut the number of LEDs down to just 4 and they are only running at ~344 mA which makes cleaning the algae off the glass really easy... It just doesnt grow on there! One of my favourite things about this tank!

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Are those baby suncorals on the rocks on the left?

Look out for some balanos too-also nice little corals

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I've always wanted a dendro (well, the wife in particular has!) but have not been confident enough with feedings to get one. Maybe I will start up an NPS tank at some point ...

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Are those baby suncorals on the rocks on the left?

Look out for some balanos too-also nice little corals
They are baby sun corals yes... I chipped them off of the bottom of the mother colony! If they start to show signs of growth specifically laying down new skeleton I will prob sell them to who ever wants one!

I am keeping my eyes open for any NPS I can get my hands on!

I've always wanted a dendro (well, the wife in particular has!) but have not been confident enough with feedings to get one. Maybe I will start up an NPS tank at some point ...
I would love to see more people keeping NPS... I was a bit nervy at first but its all going well so far! It may all come crashing doen around my ears with the amount of feeding I am doing but I have an over rated skimmer (albeit old!) and I am going to start vodka dosing if NO4 and PO3 start building up... Vodka dosing BTW is one of the most effective methods of keeping an NPS tank stable from what I have read as the number of bacteria in the water column increase and this is basically food for the corals!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
That had a pink nps at marine plus last weekend don't know if it's still there though. There are pics on their fb page

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
It was next to mine! I picked the black over the pink...

We will prob be heading down to Marine Plus next weekend to pick up the green sun coral... If they come in when they are expecting them.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Turns out I havent updated this in 3 months :eek where does the time go!

Nothing much has happened in here until yesterday....

I went and got my early xmas pressie and found a beautiful feather duster while I was there!

2 new specemins
fetherduster.jpg
purple lace.jpg

And the obligatory FTS
almost fts.jpg

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
beautiful!
I saw the purple one the other day in one of the LFs-is it a sponge of sorts?
Nice macro as well

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Why do you have a shower scrub in your tank? :D

Seriously though ... wtf is that?!
Bryozoan, also called lace coral/sponge. Very cool, never seen a purple one before though. A lot of the wrecks I've dived in vic are covered in white/tan bryo's.