Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Well Our Luck Ran Out In 2015 Ouch !
Well until about 3 days ago everything was sweet. 2 powder blues getting along and whole tank peaceful.
Then the two new hippos tangs got the inevitable ICH, although they are only the size of a 10c piece, boy did they get hit.
We have had blues before & had slight case of ICH but geez not like this, began to worry it may have been marine velvet they were so covered.
But they were still alive so figured bad case of ICH.
2 days ago our flame angel is dead on the bottom of the tank, coral beauty is upside down but alive, 1 hippo is dead other is just alive. Large yellow tang is flashing and covered and lipstick tang is in a bad bad way, his eyes are covered with white spots !!
Day 3 - large yellow tang not swimming or eating, haven't see coral beauty for 24 hrs or the other hippo, Lipstick is hanging in there just !
Today - rush out and buy a tank to QT (might be too late but have to try ) trouble with owning 5 tangs is you need a big QT for aggression mainly.
photo 1.JPG

Fill it, heater, powerheads, 1 kg matrix out of my sump into QT.
Catching begins,
WOW that was easy in under 10 mins had all five tangs in the tank - still 1 hippo hiding in rocks no chance of getting him out. So he will stay in DT unless we see a good opportunity to catch him.
Copperband had it 2 days ago & has made a full recovery so he stays in DT. (did try but couldnt get him anyway)

So now 5 tangs in a 240lt. Large yellow tang attacking everything in the tank except his buddy small yellow. So what to do, hubby says he knows
20 mins later 2 yellow tangs one side, 2 powder blues & lipsitck the other,
photo 2.JPG

Start with Seachem Paraguard at 8pm tonight & crossing our fingers.
1 powder already not doing so well, stress of the catch I think & yellow hit him very hard so almost positive we will lose him. But the other looking strong.
What a bloody mess, new build all hard work done just ready to sit back and enjoy and BANG.!
Our flame angel had been with us for 14 months & was beautiful and Corby the beauty, well who knows if we will ever see him again, I doubt it !
Thanks

Jimsim

Nov 9, 2013
NEW SOUTH WALES
RIP fishies :( They were living the dream for a brief moment.. Got taken away to early
stay stong!!! Soft chants.. (one of us, one of us, one of us)

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Spewing, it always seems to happen when everything seems to be running fine. Chin up guys, you will come out the other side fine.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Spewing, it always seems to happen when everything seems to be running fine. Chin up guys, you will come out the other side fine.
Thanks for the positive thoughts, but I just hope the fish come out the other side fine ? Yes up at 4am, couldn't sleep a wink worrying !

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Sorry to hear the bad news.
Praying the other s make it through this.
good luck

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
My heart fell when I read this story and feel very sad. It does remind me though of what a delicate eco system we are all dealing with, and how quickly it can go south. As most of us do not have quarantine facilities it should remind me not to add any more fish.

On the plus size with your ability of potential large stocking you now have a qt tank. Although that's the last thing I could house in my house.

I'm sure your reading a lot about QT, can you keep posting what you are doing as far as SG, temp and medications.

Try and keep positive,

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Sorry to hear about your losses.

Just FYI, I doubt para guard will cure MI. :)

TBH I'm concerned that you appear to have some LR in there. Meds could knock off any small inverts on it > ammonia surge > possible dead fish.

Difficult time ahead but Good luck with it all.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Very sorry to hear, I know the stress you've been through and feel terrible.Wish I could do more to help :(

hoangii

Feb 2, 2013
Footscray
Sorry to hear. Damn that is some bad news. I got a nearly full bottle of polyp lab reef safe medic ich medicine if u are in need of it if you are in melbourne. It helped me with my ich issues but not as severe as yours

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Sorry to hear. Damn that is some bad news. I got a nearly full bottle of polyp lab reef safe medic ich medicine if u are in need of it if you are in melbourne. It helped me with my ich issues but not as severe as yours
Thanks for offer but we have heaps of paraguard. Used it in fresh water tanjs before works a treat. Safe & gentle. !

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Shit luck on this Lesley, what do you think triggered it all off?
Honestly think our fish were still very stressed with the move & immune systems were low. Their certainly was NO aggression at all so don't think that contributed. Two tiny hippos broke out first ( expected ) & our existing fish just weren't quite settled enough to deal with it. Apparently dwarf angels have very thin ( almost non existant ) slime coats & are often hit very hard . Remember when we bought a large starving powder blue that had ich, none if our fish got it then so only thing I can think is it was a viralent strain & spread really fast. !

Last edited:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Sorry to hear about your losses.

Just FYI, I doubt para guard will cure MI. :)

TBH I'm concerned that you appear to have some LR in there. Meds could knock off any small inverts on it > ammonia surge > possible dead fish.

Difficult time ahead but Good luck with it all.
Thanks for your concern but the rock has actually been in the shed for about a year so certainly not live. Paraguard is extremely successful in treating ich without being to harsh on the fish. Used it many times on freshwater. Because it's been so fast & so fatal we also wanted a medication that deals with other things. Paraguard deals with patisites, fungal, bacterial so great med if your not positive of exactly what strain your dealing with. Trust me I've done the research. We are doing 50% daily water changes. & using prime 24/7. I have moved 1 kg if matrix over as well. & paraguard once again will not damage the good bacteria. But in saying that will be testing tank daily for ammonia etc as well

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Both powders dead this morning !! So upset. Now wondering if it was the stress of the QT that killed then & not the ich ? Suppose we will never know ! Lipstick is also extremely stressed in QT , yellows don't seem to care SO - do we get them out of QT, lesson the stress & take our chances back in DT ? Or possibly kill the lipstick in QT & once again never know if it was ich or QT ?

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Sorry to hear ...test your ammonia / nitrite in the qt, if for no other reason than ruling this out. You have to be very careful when you put a qt together at the last minute, as it's easy to kill the fish.

Fwiw if the blue tangs were covered in your DT, the MI was likely already well established and the high numbers then accounted for the visibility of the outbreak (not the introduction of new fish). Hope that makes sense.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Sorry to hear ...test your ammonia / nitrite in the qt, if for no other reason than ruling this out. You have to be very careful when you put a qt together at the last minute, as it's easy to kill the fish.

Fwiw if the blue tangs were covered in your DT, the MI was likely already well established and the high numbers then accounted for the visibility of the outbreak (not the introduction of new fish). Hope that makes sense.
Will be testing twice a day ! Very aware if those sorts of problems. Don't quite get what you are saying about High numbers already. ? Thanks