Reef Discussion

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
What Do You Expect From An Aquarium Controller?
Hi all,
what are the most important features you expect from an Aquarium Controller?
It can be something that is tedious and you would like to automate, something that makes a complicated procedure simpler or something that your current controller does well/not so well.

I will consider adding the ideas to the REEFmate, if they fit in the product.

Some examples would be:
- Control Power outlets.
- Monitor pH, temperature, water leak, ORP, etc.
- Send email/SMS alerts.

Thanks

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
all of the above looks fantastic, but where I feel most controllers on the market struggle now is a simple to use rules engine.

Most, well Apex, have a nice cloud monitoring setup now - but I think the rules engine is still a bit difficult.

MaccaPopEye

Nov 4, 2015
I just made a list of things that I want to be able to do and then checked the Invent Marine page and from what I can see the REEFmate has all of it. I am really excited for it to be released. I also really like the look of node red. It looks very easy to create and edit logic tasks with basic common sense.

My list of wants in order of importance:
- Controllable outlets (and ability to add more outlets)
- Customisable functions for outlets and float switches. At the most basic things based on monitored parameters & date/time.
- ATO
- Dosing
- Power outage notifications
- Monitor and graph:
o Temp
o PH
o Salinity
o ORP (I dont need this one atm but I might start using it someday)​
- Leak detection
- Control DC wave makers (on/off, ramp up and down, random functions)
- Good looking interface, possibly a bit customisable
- Notifications to mobile phone and mobile app
- Multiple ports for float switches (more than just ATO)

Something else that would be purely a cherry on top (which might already be included) could be adding in a perimeter logging and graphing section for manually imputed data and task reminders for pump maintenance etc. kind of like the Aquarimate or Aquarium Note apps. That way it is just all in one place. Rather than having multiple apps I could open the REEFmate app and check on my tank via the webcam, put it in feed mode, get told I need to clean my skimmer pump tomorrow, see that over the last few weeks my alk has been slowly dropping and then slightly up the dose etc. all with the one app.

Cheers,

Macca

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I just made a list of things that I want to be able to do and then checked the Invent Marine page and from what I can see the REEFmate has all of it. I am really excited for it to be released. I also really like the look of node red. It looks very easy to create and edit logic tasks with basic common sense.

My list of wants in order of importance:
- Controllable outlets (and ability to add more outlets)
- Customisable functions for outlets and float switches. At the most basic things based on monitored parameters & date/time.
- ATO
- Dosing
- Power outage notifications
- Monitor and graph:
o Temp
o PH
o Salinity
o ORP (I dont need this one atm but I might start using it someday)​
- Leak detection
- Control DC wave makers (on/off, ramp up and down, random functions)
- Good looking interface, possibly a bit customisable
- Notifications to mobile phone and mobile app
- Multiple ports for float switches (more than just ATO)

Something else that would be purely a cherry on top (which might already be included) could be adding in a perimeter logging and graphing section for manually imputed data and task reminders for pump maintenance etc. kind of like the Aquarimate or Aquarium Note apps. That way it is just all in one place. Rather than having multiple apps I could open the REEFmate app and check on my tank via the webcam, put it in feed mode, get told I need to clean my skimmer pump tomorrow, see that over the last few weeks my alk has been slowly dropping and then slightly up the dose etc. all with the one app.

Cheers,

Macca
Macca,
thanks for the detailed list. Everything in there is pretty much covered, some better than others, but covered.

Regarding the manual input and manually entered scheduled alerts, I have been debating with myself about it for a while. For now, I decide to park it and let the other apps do what they do best, but is certainly in the roadmap.

Would you benefit from a calculator, like dosing calculator, as well?

Thanks for the valuable feedback, folks!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
the mention of controlling DC pumps is a very good one. I LOVE Tunze pumps, I LOVE Vortech controllers - allow me to control a Tunze with pre-defined programs like the vortech and I am sold.

MaccaPopEye

Nov 4, 2015
Regarding the manual input and manually entered scheduled alerts, I have been debating with myself about it for a while. For now, I decide to park it and let the other apps do what they do best, but is certainly in the roadmap.

Would you benefit from a calculator, like dosing calculator, as well?

Thanks for the valuable feedback, folks!
No harm at all in putting it to the side for now there are enough apps out there already to do it and like I said its more of a cherry on top kind of thing. It would make a good update in the future though.

A dosing calculator is a pretty good idea. Maybe during initial set-up of the DOSEmate the user can enter tank volume, what supplement is being dosed, current and target goals and the rough bio load and the DOSEmate can suggest a starting dose which can then be increased or decreased manually depending on testing? Or possibly each time you test you can input the result and the DOSEmate can suggest to increase, decrease or maintain the dosage depending on the previous and current results and the desired levels.

That might be another good thing for a future update as its not something I consider needed in a controller but would certainly be a good feature.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have been running my DIY controller for 7+ years and, to me, the most important feature is also the most expensive to implement in a commercial product.

Controlling 240v outlets and being able to set up 'macro's' to control them is critical for me i.e. press a 'water change' button and the return pump, wave makes, and skimmer pump all turn off. Press the button when the water change is finished and the return pump and wave makers turn back on - one minute later and the skimmer pump turns back on (there is a delay because the skimmer can overflow if the water level in the sump is too high).

Why the most expensive? I am able to make a simple DIY controllable power board using commercially available relays etc. But, I don't need to comply with all of the various regulations etc which would need to be done if this was to be sold - I am no expert, but I understand meeting the required standards can be a time consuming and expensive process.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I have been running my DIY controller for 7+ years and, to me, the most important feature is also the most expensive to implement in a commercial product.
That is a tough one indeed, but hopefully not expensive with the REEFmate.

It uses the new Reef Angel power outlets(attached photo), which are great and I very pleased with it. I have a deal in place with Reef Angel and it will retail for about US$120(free shipping), which is pretty competitive price.

You would still buy them from USA, be responsible for using a uncertified high voltage device, which voids the home insurance.
That isn't the best solution, but no worse than what DIYers are already doing. It allows me to bring a complete product to market, without risking a massive lawsuit, build a customer base with enthusiasts (aka people that are already voiding their insurances), until it is worthwhile getting the outlets certified locally.

The certification process costs around $2.5K for every review and usually it doesn't pass the first review.

ascontent_syd1_1.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_xat1_v_t1.0_9_12107274_96bfbd9154490be412701058fc75ee63f.jpg

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
adl.dropboxusercontent.com_u_32290866_reefmate_nr.png

Just to give you an idea, this is how I control one of the outlets to drive my fans, based on temperature and reduce the number of time my noisy chiller turns on. It also email/SMS me in case of very high or low temperatures.

With time I will simplify so you don't have to use that many nodes, but I guess it gives a good idea how flexible this type of programming can be.

Last edited:

MaccaPopEye

Nov 4, 2015
They are. AFAIK, they will be available for sale soon on their web-site.
I managed to get my hands on 3 of the first units about a month ago. They are much better than the first version.
I am so keen for this.

Just out of curiosity is there any way (probably expensive) to have an electritian modify them to AUS plugs and certify them to keep your home insurance?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I am so keen for this.

Just out of curiosity is there any way (probably expensive) to have an electritian modify them to AUS plugs and certify them to keep your home insurance?
Unfortunately, no. The plugs connects straight to the PCB, so you would need to find a plug that matches the pinout exactly. However, new model doesn't need AUS plugs because it is an international plug that takes AUS male plugs.
Certification cost AUD$2500 per review and AFAIK, anyone can submit it for approval.

MaccaPopEye

Nov 4, 2015
Yeah I see the plugs are universal plugs which is awesome. I was just assuming that to be certified they would need AUS plugs, but when I think about it now I don't see why they would since its more about the internals haha

That kind of certification is certainly out of my budget :P I was thinking (hoping) there may be some kind of test and tag thing sparkies can do which may cost less than $500 for each individual board or something. Didn't think there was though, just thought I would ask on the off chance :rofl

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Do I dare ask if 2016 could be the release year of the REEFmate?
You can bet!
The fab house in China has shipped the second version of the DOSEmate printed circuit boards and hopefully it will work flawlessly this time. I can't wait to test it...

I am also very happy with the software.
Ready and tested: Dosing pumps, pH, camera, temperature, ATO, dashboard, self software updates.
To be done: wifi management, 0-10V, 220V outlets and external extensions.

Have a look: http://franklin.my.inventmarine.com/#!/