Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

When given RO/DI filtration... make water!
This is a slow process isn't it? Good grief!

I have received my PSI RO-020B-DI-GM. Aside from possibly needing a pump to make it all go a tad faster, at some point in the next week I should have this tank filled. I think I might get some water storage tubs to live in the laundry (there really isn't room but something to hold maybe 100L might do) so I can turn it on and walk away.

I'm using Ocean Pure Synthetic Sea Salt. I calculated that I'd need 13.5kg for the display tank. I bought a box of the stuff from Age of Aquariums which comes with 3 packages of 6.4kg each. They're all in US measurements so the trusty calculator has helped me work out ratios.

Once the tank is full, or at least halfway, I will head to Asquith for some Live Rock. They had some lovely bits that would suit me well when I had a squiz on Sunday.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
DI seems to slow the process down quite a bit, but if you want that extra clean water, then thats the sacrifice :P
Obviously it's a pretty daunting task making enough to fill a tank, but it'll happen soon enough. When I used to make up a lot of RO/DI (I don't have the level of evap that I used to), I used to feed the waste hose into the washing machine and let it fill it up. If I recall you waste 3 to 4 times the volume of water with DI, so by the time you've done 25l, you've actually drained a lot of waste water. I'd let it fill up the washing machine, then take the waste pipe out and let it go to the drain, then start the washing machine :P
My filters are a little old now, so 25l now takes most of a day. Be bugger if I need more in a hurry :P

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I store 200L at a time, you never know when you are going to need it in an emergency. Or if a fellow reefer is in a jam.

I get about 200L a day if I run it all day, I normally just knock out 25L every saturday and sunday though. RODI is a very slow process. If I had and outdoor tap I would hook it up there on a float switch to cut off when my storage drum filled

E

ezza

thanks guys, I added my salt for something to do and to get it to dissolve and am getting there with the water. It's slow but it's filling. I have named this... THE BRINE OF DEATH!!!!!

I also made a power board like @Fishy to keep the cabinet tidy and organised.

brine.jpg
powerfish.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Damn that's slow! I wonder why your water pressure is so low.

E

ezza

We were really badly affected by drought with very high level water restrictions. I'd say the council turned the pressure down back then and hasn't turned it back up. Tank is about 1/3 full now. Getting there gradually.

E

ezza

image.jpg

I am starting to wonder if I might be able to add live rock before all the water is in. I think probably not given how much salt is in the water. It'd kill anything in it I suppose

E

ezza

i crunched the numbers after timing how long it takes to fill a cup. i will spend 42hrs of my life filling the tank.

E

ezza

indeed. if i can get a smallish (100L) water tank that might fit in the laundry i will ensure there's water available... i think i might need to get a pump too. i have patience, but this is bordering on testing me for insanity.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
thanks guys, I added my salt for something to do and to get it to dissolve and am getting there with the water. It's slow but it's filling. I have named this... THE BRINE OF DEATH!!!!!

I also made a power board like @Fishy to keep the cabinet tidy and organised.

View attachment 17510 View attachment 17511
Oh, I should hire you to come clean up my DT's cupboard. I don't bother looking in there any more. :P

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
indeed. if i can get a smallish (100L) water tank that might fit in the laundry i will ensure there's water available... i think i might need to get a pump too. i have patience, but this is bordering on testing me for insanity.
go to the Kmart and buy 5x20lit drums and fill those...

E

ezza

I went to Asquith and bought waaaaaaaay too much. I bought RO for a quick boost (then left a barrel behind dagnabbit), bought my 20kg live rock and 2 Tunze 6045s. I hope beyond hope that Magic Clear is ok to add to the tank... Cos I couldn't see through the flipping water and it just wasn't clearing. I didn't add much. See how it goes. It's been a busy night!

@Fishy , heaters are on in the display for the moment until I overflow when I'll put them back in the sump I guess... Is there a preference?