Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

I calculated it would be 2hrs 11 min for a whole bottle. I get it halfway so I can lift it.

E

ezza

I have a hitchhiker! It's a starfish. I hope he survives. Due to the lack of water clarity I just threw the rock in for now and I'll scape it later

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Your water pressure must be as bad as ours! My RO/DI is useless from the taps inside the house. The pressure on the outside taps is a bit higher, and it takes 5.5 hours to fill a 25L container. I'm glad I use NSW and only need it for top up!

E

ezza

I would have gone with NSW, but the delivery guy only does 1000L min, I just do not have room for a huge IBC.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
At the moment I use a few 25L containers and collect it from a nearby beach. When we move I'm hoping to pick up a couple of 200L drums to transfer it to and keep more on hand, save freezing myself to death next winter!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
At the moment I use a few 25L containers and collect it from a nearby beach. When we move I'm hoping to pick up a couple of 200L drums to transfer it to and keep more on hand, save freezing myself to death next winter!
I got some from Roaches Beach last Saturday - the water was pretty cold :rolleyes

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
I went to Roaches about 3 weeks back. I go there now on days I can't be bothered hauling it across the dunes at Goats Beach. I think my toes and fingers were numb for a while. But hey, it's all part of the fun! And the boys don't care what the weather is, they'll take any opportunity to run around on the beach.

E

ezza

i have a really bad back. while i can lift 20kg carefully, repetitive movements such as lifting of heavy containers (or ikea furniture) is really not good. i have bulged discs, a curved spine and bone shards up the length of my spine... and i don't really trust beach water either given the coast is so populated. i don't have a boat, if i did, yes i would go locate pristine water. i'm good now i have an RO/DI filtration unit. it was just a bitch to fill. hopefully i will never need 400L all in one go again! :P

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
I went to Asquith and bought waaaaaaaay too much. I bought RO for a quick boost (then left a barrel behind dagnabbit), bought my 20kg live rock and 2 Tunze 6045s. I hope beyond hope that Magic Clear is ok to add to the tank... Cos I couldn't see through the flipping water and it just wasn't clearing. I didn't add much. See how it goes. It's been a busy night!

@Fishy , heaters are on in the display for the moment until I overflow when I'll put them back in the sump I guess... Is there a preference?
In the sump, 1each side of the return pump.
Water will clear once you start circulating it i.e. fill it up. You will need wavemakers to avoid cold spots etc in the DT.

E

ezza

Awesome. Thanks. The flow pump tunze thingies are on (once the sand storm calmed). It gets better, I put my rock in and started scraping. I got a few pieces where I wanted them before it became way too cloudy to see. I like the one bit that looks good though :p

I woke every 2 hours throug the night last night to fill this bloody ocean up. My husband must think I'm nuts. Now I'm onto my 2nd Shiraz waiting for the last bottle of water that *should* start decent overflow to top off the sump. I hope....

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
Nnnnnooooooo, me thinks that by now all reasonable doubt about your hubby thinking you are nutts would um...........
how should i say it.......beeeeee .............GONE!!!!!!

:p

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
Great to see you are finally getting your dream coming to fruition. I wish I had opted for white with my AR400 rather than black. Looks great in that spot. Goodluck trying to concentrate on any show or movie on that tv though with out eyes wondering off to tank. hahah.
I had my tank filled within a few hours. I just done the the tap water with Prime and mixed with salt. Bad idea though. I kept doing this for water changes for first couple of months too and nitrates ended up through roof. Took about 2 months of 50l NSW water changes and dosing Red Sea No3Pox4 to get rid of Nitrates. Now I just buy RO water and NSW from my lfs weekly and I am running 0 nitrates and usually minimal phosphates, unless I go crazy with reef roids and rotifers etc.

E

ezza

We'll see how it all goes. I threw chopped up prawn in because I don't want my wee crabbies to die. I might screw it all up before it's a week old :p