Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Who Needs An Apex When We Have Sam Parker !!!!
HI,
Thought this deserved its own heading !!
Like most newbies (are we still newbies after 15months). lol
We have made lots of mistakes. Eg. forgetting we have the ATO container filling up with RODI and waking up to 100lt of water on the floor,
Forgetting to change sock, they overflow, lip of sock is accidentally on top of the glass woke up at 4am with return pump running dry and 200lts on the floor, with burnt out heater .
Going to be a hot day, turn heaters off , forget to turn back on and race home early from a dinner out to make sure tanks warm enough.
As embarrassing as it is the list goes on & on & on. !

So arrived home tonight to some amazing gadgets that will hopefully stop these sorts of things happening.

1st
We plug our skimmer into this and when the skimmer waste cup is getting too full it will automatically turn off our skimmer until we get home. flooding is bad enough without it being skim crap.

Turn off skimmer.JPG

2nd
This little gem has a float in the ATO container so when gets to the level we want it will set off an alarm.
& if return section of sump is below an acceptable level for any reason what so ever will also set off an alarm.
Both alarms will continue to sound until we fix either problem. Yipee....
ato & return alarm.JPG

3rd
This is attached to a temp controller that when it gets above a temp that we decide to set will start the fans automatically and stop when acceptable temp is again reached.
fans.JPG

4th
This is the temp controller that not only controls the fans but we also have 2 x 300w heaters plugged into.
We set the temp we want the tank and as soon as it gets below that range will turn heaters on & if gets above that temp range for any reason (faulty heater or temp accidentally bumped) will not only turn the fans on but will switch both heaters off completely.,

Heater controller.JPG

@samparker made all of these gadgets for us, for not profit at all, he did it to help us out and get the new build a little more bomb proof for us.

As I told Sam in a conversation tonight after receiving all of these.

"who needs an apex when we have a Sam Parker "

So thank you so much Sam, the time and effort you have put into this is amazing.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
How did you find that fan unit for noise? I got one with just 4 fans on it and it sounded like a Lear jet.
I customised it and used 2 stealth PC fans ($7 each) and it is way more efficient and dead quiet.
I used both the end brackets and bolted a fan onto each and wired them apart. That way I was able to use the plugin and the switch, also clamp and tilt them into position.
It works a treat on the Yasha and will even drop the Cade a degree or two on a hottish day.

fan-1.jpg

fan-2.jpg

Last edited:

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
That is some nice goodies! Looking awesome. I need to look into these temp controllers! :)

PS - I'm glad I'm not the only one that has forgotten to change a filter sock and it started leaking water on the floor at night!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@daveH - now it looks like a fighter jet!!! As for the sound of the fans, I find them very quiet. I bought three of those units in (one for me, one for lesley and one spare for whatever project comes up next) and was pleasantly surprised at the volume. That being said, mine are mounted on the sump in the cabinet, so fairly muffled in there anyway. Otherwise they will go up on the display tank in the enclosed crown/hood which should be muffled again :)

Certainly nothing wrong with Apex, they are awesome units. I just find that they are a little daunting for most users, the requirement to code to do most things is a bit much for an off the shelf product of that value if you ask me.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
@daveH - now it looks like a fighter jet!!! As for the sound of the fans, I find them very quiet. I bought three of those units in (one for me, one for lesley and one spare for whatever project comes up next) and was pleasantly surprised at the volume. That being said, mine are mounted on the sump in the cabinet, so fairly muffled in there anyway. Otherwise they will go up on the display tank in the enclosed crown/hood which should be muffled again :)

Certainly nothing wrong with Apex, they are awesome units. I just find that they are a little daunting for most users, the requirement to code to do most things is a bit much for an off the shelf product of that value if you ask me.
I should have got F18 fans instead of F8 :D

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Well done Sam :)

Just curious....is there much difference between the STC 800 and 1000? the 800 looks a little older but seems that box its in is more useful?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
ATC800 has a heavier duty relay on the cooling side (= better for Chillers).

STC1000 is more accurate and cheaper.

Both are accurate enough for our purposes.

That about sums it up.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Great work Mr Parker.....

Those fan units are great, I have used then as well and find them quiet. Although I must admit on had them on variable speed (PWM) control. took my temp down at least 3 degrees on 350l DT

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Well done Sam :)

Just curious....is there much difference between the STC 800 and 1000? the 800 looks a little older but seems that box its in is more useful?
Macca has hit the nail on the head here. STC will do temps to a decimal place, is smaller and cheaper. ATC has a huge display and can handle more current (better for chillers)

Cheers for the nice words again guys, just happy to help out any reefer who could benefit from something I can knock together

E

ezza

It's utterly amazing. I am not an electronics person, unless it comes in a kit with instructions to some degree. I can build a PC... But those things are all amazing.y useful tools. I have often wondered how to make an alarm for water filling. Luckily, I fill in the laundry and it has a drain... Because I think there has been only 1 occasion in the last year of this aquarium where I haven't flooded the laundry :p even after being admitted to hospital and being fairly out of it I've remembered that I left the damn water running!

Would it be possible to find out how it's done Sam?

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Quite the handy man Sam. Well done! Rather than start a new thread thought I could hit you up here...

Since I've upgrade my tank, I've had to upgrade my chiller to a HC-1000A 1HP (previously 300a 1/4HP).

Will the STC I already have still do the job or will I need to upgrade to an ATC?

Working current of my new chilled is 3.2A?.

Cheers mate,
Joey.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Joey,

Amp draw on stc is 10amps I believe, which if your chiller tripled it's power on startup (not unheard of) you'll still be clear. Atc has 20amp relays plus a waterproof interface :)

Ezza, more than happy to help you out with details on anything you want to make. Or I can make it for you for the same cost plus post?

Sam

joey13

Dec 1, 2013
Thanks Sam.

Waterproof interface?

What will you charge me to wire up an ATC? I'll supply all parts of course.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thanks Sam.

Waterproof interface?

What will you charge me to wire up an ATC? I'll supply all parts of course.
Yeah, the touchpad is waterproof. I can guide you or your electrician through what needs to be done if you prefer? The atc's have larger terminals than the stc's and therefor are fairly simple to wire up.

If you would prefer me to do it, shoot me a pm and I'll give you the details.