Tank Journal Archive

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I do love the super yellow ones. I had a look at a florida based coral place that I think you linked the other day @chimaera the colours they had were insane. Made me cry a little on the inside.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Pete, I have a mixed zoa rock that I want to move on, perhaps you could frag it up for me? If I got a frag if each of the colours (about three) is happily donate the rest?
Free to reefuge members or something?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Pete, I have a mixed zoa rock that I want to move on, perhaps you could frag it up for me? If I got a frag if each of the colours (about three) is happily donate the rest?
Free to reefuge members or something?
Hey Sam - I'm sure we could arrange something at some point. I don't have the space to store much unfortunately, but maybe we can work something out.

deediro

Jan 19, 2013
Roxburgh Park
How do you get the zoas to bunch up so closely?

Mine all keep spreading out and now more and more are starting to grow longer stems instead of stay close and tightly compact.

Too much flow?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
How do you get the zoas to bunch up so closely?

Mine all keep spreading out and now more and more are starting to grow longer stems instead of stay close and tightly compact.

Too much flow?
Hmm I don't do anything special to make them bunch to be honest, but yeah maybe flow affects them. These are in a fairly high flow area, the mp10 is on 75% just 2ft away and blasts down the side and into this area.

Zoas extending is usually a sign they are reaching for light, though doesn't always seem to be the case.

deediro

Jan 19, 2013
Roxburgh Park
Na don't think light's an issue - got about 70w of CREEs over a 2 foot. Hmm do you think cutting them individually and gluing them closer would work... bit drastic I know

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Na don't think light's an issue - got about 70w of CREEs over a 2 foot. Hmm do you think cutting them individually and gluing them closer would work... bit drastic I know
What type of zoas? Some naturally seem to grow further apart (eg the reds above), others cluster tightly.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
How clear is you water? Do you have high levels of phos and nitrate.

With my new light my zoas really flattened out as they were all previously reaching. I thought it was the illumagic, as I had to raise it to get an even spread, but I recon over the last month because my water quality is getting better due to running pellets to deal with nitrate and phos light penetration is alot better. Either way different light and less nutrient in the water meant for me flatter zoas.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Some of our zoas LOVE the Illumagic - others reach like crazy. Like you @Sarg , we had to raise it to get an even spread. Very annoying.

Thinking about trying to get my hands on one of those light measuring thingies so that I can work out the exact places that each of the dif sub-species like. Anyone know where I could pick one up?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Some of our zoas LOVE the Illumagic - others reach like crazy. Like you @Sarg , we had to raise it to get an even spread. Very annoying.

Thinking about trying to get my hands on one of those light measuring thingies so that I can work out the exact places that each of the dif sub-species like. Anyone know where I could pick one up?
Others don't seem to have a problem though. What's your water like ie phos and nitrate?