Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
$35 (or Less) Power Outage Notifier
Hi guys,

If like me, you are yet to setup a battery backup system for your aquarium and are on the verge of losing sleep or panicking at work when you hear that some suburbs have lost power, then this cheap and nifty setup may be of interest to you. It's no battery backup, but will let you know if the power goes off so that you can do something about (if like me, race home from work in a right state!)

First thing to do, grab a spare/old/cheap Android phone. I just bought a new one from Safeway for $35 (1/2 price special!).
photo.JPG

OK - set it up, then download this neat little app:
http://www.outagealarm.com/

Set the app up as per instructions (its pretty simple to follow your nose - select an alert phone number, the message you would like to send in event of power outage and when power is restored again and press start! You can also configure it to wait for 5mins before sending a warning, or to not send notification once power has resumed etc.)

Plug the phone into a power point that your aquarium runs off, start the app, lock the phone and your done!

If the power is ever off to your aquarium, you will receive a SMS telling you (and when it comes back on if you like).

Happy days :)
Sam

Last edited:

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I reckon this would be cool with something like an ALDI Prepaid SIM - $15 recharge, 365 day credit expiry. 12c text messages.
My old LG Optimus is sitting in my desk drawer at home. Got a feeling I'm gonna need to find that charger :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
thats the sort of sim I'm looking for now. bugger this Telstra recharge life of 30days!
That's what I was thinking - too bloody expensive doing that crap. It's cheaper with Telstra to go and beg for the old $10 a month plan (its about, you just need to know how to ask for it lol) than it is to buy prepaid credit for this.
The ALDI SIM appears to use Telstra network, so coverage should be fine.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah saw that about the coverage with Aldi - might not even have to "jailbreak" the locked to carrier if using the same network?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
yeah saw that about the coverage with Aldi - might not even have to "jailbreak" the locked to carrier if using the same network?
Maybe not. Spose it depends a bit. If it's a carrier lock, it shouldn't matter too much I wouldn't have thought. For the sake of $15 it's not terribly expensive to find out :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Reckon I'll be making the investment soonish myself. Summer is a comin'.
Then I'll need to put a remote control app on the phone so I can RDP it over WiFi because that's how I roll :P

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
This looks too easy! Going to look into it when I get home from work, thanks Sam :) Btw Telstra Pre-paid Long Life is $70 for a year. Thats the cheapest Telstra option.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah bugger $70per year to tell me when the power is out. $15 from Aldi will work on Telstra handsets fine. Don't need 4G to send a TXT :)

Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
actually - that's a good point.... I could get a Deakin sim card and only have to pay for the texts that it sends.... Hmmmm

Nope - looked into it, $3.30per month service charge then 10c texts. Cheaper to go with the $15 Aldi pre paid

Last edited:

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
actually - that's a good point.... I could get a Deakin sim card and only have to pay for the texts that it sends.... Hmmmm

Nope - looked into it, $3.30per month service charge then 10c texts. Cheaper to go with the $15 Aldi pre paid
Really, you guys get hit for service charge? We get full tote on texts, but no service charge lol. I have one work sim, they ain't gonna give me another :P

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
This is just if we want to leverage the corporate rates for personal use. It is a $3.30 monthly service fee, 10c text, free calls to other telstra mobiles - but data sucks. Have to pay an extra $20 a month for 2 gb I think? But the good thing is, you only get one service fee no matter how many sims you have. Whole family on the same bill for $3.30 a month. Most people around here usually get a phone bill of about $5 :)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
This is just if we want to leverage the corporate rates for personal use. It is a $3.30 monthly service fee, 10c text, free calls to other telstra mobiles - but data sucks. Have to pay an extra $20 a month for 2 gb I think? But the good thing is, you only get one service fee no matter how many sims you have. Whole family on the same bill for $3.30 a month. Most people around here usually get a phone bill of about $5 :)
Oh, in that case, that is sweet. I remember we were told about family discounts, but never heard of anyone bothering with it.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I like this idea, I already use a similar app which just fires off the alarm when power goes out. But I only really use it for when I'm sleeping on the stinking hot nights we get here some times over summer, which also seems to be the only time we get power outs from everyone cranking air conds

However having a permanent phone plugged in for the purpose is brilliant and for $15 a year is even better

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Have confirmed - Aldi $5 sim car works a treat. Not sure how long the included $5 credit lasts for, but I'll 'recharge' for $15 to get 365 service and more than enough text message credits to alert me of any power interruption to my tank :)

Happy days!