Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Credit loaded, phone plugged into same power as tank, app setup, phone stuck inside cabinet for easy but neat access.
photo.jpeg

Job well done!
Sam

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Nice work.
I'll pulled out my old phone and found I couldn't get android market to load to see if I could get this software to install (couldn't see in play store what the minimum Android version is). Bloody thing misbehaved, did a factory reset, and found it's got some obscure issue. Currently rooting it and changing the android version. Either it's gonna work, or I'm gonna brick it. Won't miss it. Can't believe I used to tolerate that bloody old thing.
Did you work out how long the $5 credit that came with it will last?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Now to work out if my old phone is unlocked or not...

EDIT: found the answer, most if not all Telstra post-paid phone are already unlocked.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I just had one of these moments ...

a3.bp.blogspot.com__z9yIDPI42DI_T7Weg8DdRfI_AAAAAAAAAfw_C8cUJE99b145eab7d93fb28ad79697575eed84.png

I was there thinking "why do you need a SIM? Just run it on Wifi and find an app that sends an email/alert to an app on another phone".

Then I just twigged that power out = wifi out = no alert. D'oh indeed!

I'll be setting this up for sure on my next tank.

Alternative app: "Power Failure Monitor Free" (and there are others on there, but this one gets a good review).

[edit] there are apps that can be set to just sound an alarm, which could be still be useful. Just need to be at home to know about it!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I figured for $2, you cant really complain. This can be configured to do all sorts of things from audible alarms to SMS's etc. Times it waits and numbers it contacts are all customisable too.

almost feel guilty not paying for it!

damer

Mar 25, 2014
Gday Sam,

Was going to pick your brains over the phone in your cabinet, but now I don't need to.

Great idea, better add this to my ever growing list

. P.s. I think I've ordered my sumps.

damer

Mar 25, 2014
Good stuff Damer, keen to see what setup you went for on the sump mate :D
Nothing fancy at the moment. Overflow will be split into two. One being a 1200 x 450 x 450 split into three, 200mm (refugium) and two x 500 sections for broodstock and the this as well as the main tank will empty in a 1100x 500 x 400 glass box which I will divide and baffle myself after I've sat everything I need in it to maximise space.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
anyone find a iOS app that has the same function? I found some that will vibrate and make a noise, but none that will SMS.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hmmm - jail break. That can be done. There are a heap of 4S sitting around in a cupboard here.

Go on @Sam Parker - tell me more....