Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
60x45x45 Starfire - Rimless - Braceless - Zeo - Coral Jungle
IMG_3864cropedE.jpg
Introduction:
Another setup, out with the old in with the new. Downsizing preparing for the purchase of my first house. Luckily i was able to stay in the hobby even tho i was close to shutting my tank down all together. as you all know i put alot of work into my tanks. this will be no exception! just because it is a nano doesn't mean it wont be visually stunning.​
4.3.2012 underwater 025.jpg
Lets see what i can achieve and if i can out do the last!​
System Objectives: All in one with STYLE, And to have an amazing coral wonderland of course?​
Type of reef: LPS and softy dominated​
4.3.2012 underwater 034.JPG
Display System:
Initial Fill Date: Feb 2012​
Display Tank Dimensions: 60x45x45 Starfire, Rimless, Braceless, Minimal silicon.​
Display Lighting: Illumagic Blaze Advanced 60CM Led unit​
Stand: Cade Black With glass​
IMG_3828E.jpg
Hood or Rimless: Rimless (even tho i said i would never do it again!)​
Sump Design: Now this is where it gets interesting :)​
This tank is actually sump-less, what it does however have is a black acrylic box that i had custom made to the size of 30x45x8, this box has laser cut slots that acts as a weir and surface skimmer. housed in the box is a tunze 9002 skimmer, what is decently overrated for this size system. to make the tunze fit i had to get a custom "intank" skimmer cup from the states what has a smaller footprint. the box also holds the tubes for the dosing pump what auto doses calc alk and phosphate binder. it also houses the RO water auto topup float valve and water line, this box also houses a bag of passive carbon and a heater. return water from the box is handled by a hydor pico 700lph pump, what is feed from water that passes through a bubble trap.​
so far this design is working EXCELLENT glad i went this approach and is working great for me at the present time.​
Filtration: All Natural​
4.3.2012 underwater 028.JPG
Support systems:
NSW or ASW: Mix of both for AFSW i use red sea coral pro salt​
Display Water circulation: Vortech MP10​
Return Pump: Hydor Pico 700LPH​
IMG_3851E.jpg
Skimmer: Tunze 9002 with custom "in tank" acrylic cup​
Evaporation Top Up: Auto​
IMG_3826E.jpg
Chemical additions:
Calcium Addition:Red sea liquid additive​
Alkilinity Addition:Red sea liquid additive​
Magnesium Addition:Red sea liquid additive​
Run alot of zeo products based around a LPS system seems to be working well so far​

This is going to be Fun :)​
IMG_3864E.jpg

Attachments

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
heheh mine must be a pico then, looking forward to this one as well, you never do things by halves!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
currently planning the sump/weir combo now , many thanks to adam for helping me out the whole time. my maths sucks :D.
on this build i am trying to minimise power so we will see how this works out.
running the lights at 50 pct will bring its power consumption down to rougly 60W.

Deal Extreme...i hope i can spell, anyway, Cree's and others, For the footprint outstanding value for money....now i am talking less than $1.00/watt....add an arduino and you have your self a light that will talk you on another continent....or your office...hehe, tho with the softies and LPS in a nanno you could use a cree hand-held torch, nanno definitely cheaper to run.

Now that i have started using a skimmer....and stuff has stopped dying , in the process of upgrading my lights to support the needs of my Carpet Nem in a 2 foot deep tank.

Check out Utube, most use CPU coolers on them, when runt at 6 volts they are cool and super super quiet, under drive them and you have a light that will last you the distance without the pain in your wallet or noise complaints from a significant other...

But dam that ecotech marine radion is sexy :cool:

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Deal Extreme...i hope i can spell, anyway, Cree's and others, For the footprint outstanding value for money....tho with the softies and LPS in a nanno you could use a cree hand-held torch, nanno definitely cheaper to run.

Now that i have started using a skimmer....and stuff has stopped dying , in the process of upgrading my lights to support the needs of my Carpet Nem in a 2 foot deep tank.

Check out Utube, most use CPU coolers on them, run them at 6 volts cool , quiet and under drive them...done.
No thanks my illumagic does the part and ticks every box :P
heres some info on them if your interested
http://www.lfsdirect.com.au/products.php

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I have been designing this weir/sump combo to be as compact as possible while being able to get the most out of it. so far i can comfortably fit a skimmer. auto topup. carbon, heater and return pump all in loosing only 15% of space in the tank. so i am very happy with that. i have decided on the tunze 9002 as the skimmer of choice. i was going to go with the hydor slim skim. but hey how can you go past the 9002. the return of the combo section will actualy be a Tunze 6015 (yeah vern stole your idea!!!) designs will be up soon.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
looking really good - With the addition of all the new parts - wouldnt it have been cheaper keeping the old tank? I've never had to pay for power on the tank so i dont know how much bigger tanks actually drain ;) I do like the look of the tank though - very simple and is going to look great stocked