Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Looking good Matt. The before and after shots are awesome. Its good to see how much everything has grown with a comparison shot :D
cheers mate. although i lost almost all of my dallas since the old shot and i have sold off all the acro in the first shot. im aiming for a LPS & Softy tank with maybe a acro here and there.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Matt, how much difference do the purple LED's make to the coral colours. I am interested in the response of the red and green corals. Can you notice a difference from the UV's?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Matt, how much difference do the purple LED's make to the coral colours. I am interested in the response of the red and green corals. Can you notice a difference from the UV's?
Hey Shane, when I turn them off I feel as though somthing is missing if you understand. I wouldn't want green or red LEDs but the purples are right in the middle and seems to blend well with the blue and white,
I notice the colour improvement the most on the fish. It gives them a nice glow, hope this helps ;)

Looking good matt, theirs a fair bit of sound in the photos, how high is your iso? It seems as if it's to high. (:
Yeah I was using 1600, was experimenting,

Hey Shane, when I turn them off I feel as though somthing is missing if you understand. I wouldn't want green or red LEDs but the purples are right in the middle and seems to blend well with the blue and white,
I notice the colour improvement the most on the fish. It gives them a nice glow, hope this helps ;)

Yeah I was using 1600, was experimenting,
Yeah reduce it right down haha, try 400 or 200 :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nah 200-400 gets to much light through over exposes the picture
But that allows you to increase the shutter speed to get sharper pictures - you need to reach the sweet spot with shutter speed and aperture and then only increase the ISO if you absolutely need too. You should always shoot with the lowest ISO possible as higher ISO means more noise.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
All my old pics had
Low ISP, around 400 I just need to work out how to change the shutter speed? What setting should I have the camera set to? I'm guessing P means programable?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Matt, can you confirm what camera you have??

P - Programmed Auto - all you have to do is press the button - just a question - are are half pressing the button to lock in auto focus etc before fully depressing it to take the photo?
S - Shutter Priority - set the shutter speed, the camera does the rest
A - Aperture Priority - set the aperture, the camera does the rest
M - Manual - you set both the shutter speed and the aperture

Set the camera to S, use the Command Dial to change the Shutter Speed, try 1/120 to 1/200, set the ISO to 100 - take some pictures. If it over exposed, increase the shutter speed.

And, reducing the ISO would reduce the light levels in the picture, not increase them.

And, find the manual and read it :p

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Matt, can you confirm what camera you have??

P - Programmed Auto - all you have to do is press the button - just a question - are are half pressing the button to lock in auto focus etc before fully depressing it to take the photo?
S - Shutter Priority - set the shutter speed, the camera does the rest
A - Aperture Priority - set the aperture, the camera does the rest
M - Manual - you set both the shutter speed and the aperture

Set the camera to S, use the Command Dial to change the Shutter Speed, try 1/120 to 1/200, set the ISO to 100 - take some pictures. If it over exposed, increase the shutter speed.

And, reducing the ISO would reduce the light levels in the picture, not increase them.

And, find the manual and read it :p
It's a d3000 ;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
That was on Iso 400 with a high shutter rate and a brightness setting off. Made only the lit up parts show up I was happy with the result