Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Accurate Temp Measurement
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I've been looking around for an accurate thermometer to finally get a true temp reading.
Mercury thermometers have been banned since 2010 and digital ones vary so much.
I found these on EBay, they are used in the photo development industry and are guaranteed to .3 of a degree.
It seems that's as accurate as I'm going to find that is in our temp range and easy to read.
These units do 13 to 30 which is great.
So now I'll be able to recalibrate my STC 1000 and be way closer than I was before.
They are available from digidirect in Melbourne for $24.
It's called the Paterson Certified Thermometer - 9" PTP363.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Great review Dave!
Yes, most LFS thermometers are out by up to 2 degrees. With that in mind I went through about a dozen and found about three that read the same which I took for the average in the middle range.
This themometer happens to read the same as my chiller to the .1 of a degree.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
Thanks for the post. I am going to pick one up tomorrow. I don't really trust the cheap digital ones and this looks pretty reputable and a reasonable price.
Looks like they have a few stores so hoping to get one from the Sydney CBD store.

I used @daveH thermometer and found my temp high by 1.8 degrees. This means I was running at 25.8... now i'm down to 24 and will most likely run 25 during summer. So good knowing now where i'm at and from here on I can be sure it will be correct. Thank you Dave for getting this mate, it really is great to be sure for once.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Nice one, I have been looking for better temp accuracy as well.
Found out recently I was out by 2-3 degrees.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It makes it pretty hard to get an accurate reading when your digital temp is out, your STC1000 is out and your chiller is also out.
We now have something accurate enough to calibrate the system and get back on track.

jaspass

Jul 22, 2013
Brisbane
Until I received my new Temperature controller from Dave I didn't really have a clue what my temp was ! Between the chiller, my heater controller and a separate digital probe I had about 2.5 deg spread. So now thanks to @somethingfishy76 and @daveH finally I know where I am, thanks again boys.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
MagicJ i ordered one of these a month ago and they still have no stock in. Hopefully you have better luck. I am thinking of cancelling it although it does look like exactly what i want.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@curly747 - bugger, that sort of thing is just wrong - if they don't have the stock then they should remove it from their site so that buyers don't waste their time. I must admit to being a bit suspicious when I read their confirmation email as it mentioned something about checking stock within 72 hours.

@daveH, that would be great if you could.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I rang Brisbane store and they don't have them in stock but said they are on back order and will definitely be available shortly.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks @daveH, appreciated - I wonder what they mean by 'shortly' ?
Yeah, I hope it's not the same "shortly" as my apartment developers keep telling me. haha!
If you're really hanging out to get your temps all setup, I'm happy to mail mine to you.
Maybe make mine the communal one and members can keep passing it on - once you set everything to a true temp it's kind of set and forget.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks for the offer but it's more of a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have'.

I am working with some temperature sensors and would like to be able to calibrate them if I can.

I will see what Digidirect say over the next few days - if they can't supply then I will cancel the order and get one from vanbar.