Reef Discussion

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Don't you worry, I've been doing the power costs maths in my head of 4x2x2 tank again...would have to investigate whether I could transfer current equipment to it...meaning the same power costs as I have now..eg skimmer heater etc
There's a few types that'd go in a 4x2x2, but be mindful that most of what I posted there are in the ballpark of several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars each - there's only really 3 that aren't above that with regularity. Most are also from deeper water and necessarily need cooler systems, tropical is not suitable for them and generally will cause them a very early demise.

Nephrurus

Aug 21, 2011
How do they go about bringing them to the surface from great depths? I'm guessing that's a bit of an art form?

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
How do they go about bringing them to the surface from great depths? I'm guessing that's a bit of an art form?
Pretty much exactly the same way humans do it... mandatory rest stops. Except in this case, for fish they have what're called "rest stations" - effectively corrals where they put the fish temporarily to acclimate to pressure conditions. This is the proper way to do it... though there is a ghetto method just ascending. This leads to infection the majority of the time and will cause the fish to expire pretty quick (hence the assumption that all Anthias are doomed).

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Another interesting species, Hemanthias vivanus. Unlike most other Anthias species which are restricted to the Pacific and Indian Oceans, this one is found strictly in the Atlantic, from northern Canada all the way down to Brazil. "Way down" is entirely accurate too, these guys have been found as deep as 600 metres across their range.

awww.blueharbor.co.jp_factory_devil_blog_Atlanta6_20336_R.jpg

aglassbox_design.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_10_male_red_barbier.jpg

Another, with a slightly smaller range (Florida through Antilles and Brazil) and much shallower depth (at a tiny 230 m max) is Pronotogrammus martinicensis (syn. Holanthias martinicensis).

aglassbox_design.com_wp_content_uploads_2009_10_Holanthias_martinicensis.jpg

awww.blueharbor.co.jp_factory_devil_blog__E3_83_A9_E3_83_95_E3_82_BF_E3_83_B3.JPG

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
A lot. :D not as much as some here, but definitely a lot more than what most LFS would be carrying in their Anthias lines.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
They're pretty rare. Because they're restricted to Palau and deepwater, they very rarely make it into the trade. A few did last year but that was virtually unheard of.

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth

odontanthias borbonius

I have seen this in the LFS here, well it looks close enough too it. $200 each

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
In photos, Borbs look really very ugly. In the flesh though, they're overwhelmingly pretty. The colours just never seem to capture properly in photos, for whatever reason.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
I actually have these, not jsut pics taken from google images. Pseudanthias leucozonus pair - the only to ever come to the country
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_anthias3.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_anthias2_1.jpg

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_anthias1_1.jpg

a pair of borbonius
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_borb.jpg

also had the following over the years
tuka
fathead
randalli
squammies
dispar

and getting some flavos soon