Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Yeah, I just see the design very hard to work with.

I guess you could get small footprint skimmer in the first section and just have your two media bags on the egg create and then use the third chamber as a frag tank or something. but you would want a damn good skimmer in that first section.

awww.aquascapedesign.com.au_product_images_h_619_DSC_0121__18486_zoom.JPG

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
From that 1 pic it is pretty hard to even tell where the water flows and in what order. Also probably need some dimensions (of both the skimmer, partitions and cabinet) if you are asking for feedback around which skimmer will fit.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
There really isn't much info about these tanks around on the net, I tried looking to see if I could find pics of a running setup sump just to get an idea of what was going on in there and couldn't find anything other then what is already shown

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
This would be my take on the sump if you were to use it standard, it just doesnt give you much of an idea of how big it all is.

sump.JPG

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
There is a baffel between the skimmer and the LR section as you have named them so the water is taken from the bottom, then overflows the wall that looks like it is 40mm lower than than most visable wall. A distinction without difference apart from a lower water level.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Yer, I am quite sure the gray pipe is the in pipe when you look at some other photos on the site. I dont mind that set up, it looks to almost go the whole depth so its kind of an indication. Shame no stores around me seem to have one

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
There is a baffel between the skimmer and the LR section as you have named them so the water is taken from the bottom, then overflows the wall that looks like it is 40mm lower than than most visable wall. A distinction without difference apart from a lower water level.

ahh yep, I see it now that you point it out, must be going blind :p

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Yer, I am quite sure the gray pipe is the in pipe when you look at some other photos on the site. I dont mind that set up, it looks to almost go the whole depth so its kind of an indication. Shame no stores around me seem to have one
you can tell the blue one is return because it has a pump attached to it too

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
again thanks so much to all of you, I know it is very frustrating try to explain something that in theory is quite simple, but when someone like just is having issues getting his head around it. your patience is unreal.

Once this is set up, multiple beers and pizzas in sutho for a tank welcoming party to all who can make it :P

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
so, how bigger skimmer are we talking. The one that I was looking at says it does up to 1500L and I think it will fit, being that its only a 300l tank what sort of turn over should I be looking at?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
1200mm x 600mm x 600mm gives you 430l plus sump, which will probably be around 200l less all your bits and peices you will probably have a water volume of around 500L odd

The generally rule of thumb, to which tunze is no exception, is to halve the rated capacity for reef tanks and a third for heavy stocking or SPS, your probably a little overkill but not really by that much....

I guess a better question first up is what are you going to keep in it?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
fish wise, not much. Not looking to add any really, the 3 from my current will move over.

Corals, I would like a few more hammers, currently have 2, scollies, probably another clam, duncan, xenia, zoas.

I like the softs better, I like to see movement as opposed to the harder more stationary types. I want it quite open though, like some nice swimming areas. Not really wanting it to look crowded. Similar to how Az had his.

I guess my concern is coming from one person is saying get one thing, then the next says get bigger, then the original person says get bigger again, even though originally they said their sugestion was all I needed? I am trying not to put a cap on it, I want to buy what I need and not skimp, but I am not wanting to pay an extra $800-$1000 on something I don't need to just because the general idea is bigger is better. I am trying to understand what I need and why before I buy it, not just get this cause its bigger, if that makes sense?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I guess my concern is coming from one person is saying get one thing, then the next says get bigger, then the original person says get bigger again, even though originally they said their sugestion was all I needed? I am trying not to put a cap on it, I want to buy what I need and not skimp, but I am not wanting to pay an extra $800-$1000 on something I don't need to just because the general idea is bigger is better. I am trying to understand what I need and why before I buy it, not just get this cause its bigger, if that makes sense?
I know exactly where you are coming from. None of the advice you have received is wrong by any means, but I think sometimes your personal situation is not taken into account.

I would keep the sump design as it is - half the reason of you buying 'off the shelf' is so you don't need to mess with drilling, baffles, siliconing, etc. Am I right?

So work with what you have and when you have the sump dimensions, work out which skimmer you can fit in there. It looks like a Tunze skimmer you like has a small footprint, so you can probably go as large/expensive as you like with that design. You mentioned the 9011 which would be enough, or spend a bit more on the 9016 if you want 'more than enough'.