Tank Journal Archive

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
well yes, I mean I was told to get an 'off the shelf' cause when you try customise it generally you end up spending more as it never works as its designed to, but now getting told it needs to be 'gutted'. It is just confusing me a bit and starting to put me off the tank as if I am going to be cutting baffles etc out why am I paying to have it already done?

The 9410 or the 9016 are currently top of my list.

Thank you for your reply

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
1.jpg
5.jpg
423.JPG
CADE_HL1000_Sump.jpg
HL800_4.jpg
HL800_Sump_Top_View.jpg

So a few new photos from the supplier, no measurments as yet. Contacted Elos:
Glass tank: 120x57x60h cm, capacity 350 lt
Cabinet: 120x57x87h cm
Glass filter: SUMP 500 Marine including Mechanical Filter, filter bags, biological chamber with regulating tap, spare water chamber.
Skimmer: PS 1000 including pump
Level controller: Osmocontroller II including pump
Plumbing: overflow corrugated tube including connections, silicon tube and exit tubes
Top-up pump
Price (with standard wood-finish door): $4208

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Is that from Elos direct? It sounds like i got in before the euro crashed.....

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Well moving on.... If you do your maths on the new pricing there isnt a great deal of difference between the Elos and Cade.

If you think you would be spending $1k simmer $350 ATO and $300 on a return pump your are basically $4k vs $4.2k

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
the skimmer I was looking at is $520, but with the powerheads costing 1k I guess it puts it a bit higher.

Probably still stick with the cade, I have read the PS1000 should be upgraded anyway?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Both will be better than 99% of the tanks out there, it comes down to person prefence at this level.

I was going to upgrade the PS1000 and it was only that they stuff up the order that i ended up with the 1000 but it appears as though its already overkill for what your doing I can definetly say do not upgrade it to the PS2000. They are a 900 euro skimmer in europe and a $1,800 skimmer here through the proper chanels. I think they are overpriced and are more inline with a $1k skimmer but they are a serious peice of equipment none the less

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
working it our roughly the cade will cost 4k and elos 5200 with all the gear.

Can I ask why the PS1000 would be overkill but the 9011 wouldn't be? Just trying to understand the differences between skimers when they are rated for the same size tank but one is better? What things am I looking for?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
*warning there is no spell check on this computer so please try and stay with me

It comes down to the brands a bit, there isnt any standard rating so companies can claim any rating they like really. There is alot more into it than i have time to give you but a brief 101

To make things a bit more confusing there are a few different skimmer types air driven, venturi, needle wheel, mesh wheel, grid wheel and so on.... some are alot more agressive than others, the generally pricipal is the finer the air bubbles it produces the better it is as the more contact area is present.

The commline serries of the Tunze is classed as very gentle and they use a what they call hydrofoamer, which from what I gather is their version of ventrui, which is a tried and true method but very gentle and leaves alot of the protein (along with some good things as well) in the water coloum.

Then there comes the design of the body of the skimmer which includes its shape, the way the water is injected, the height, if there is anti tubulance plates, where the outlet is positioned the neck diameter and all the ratio of air/water/body size as well.....

Depending on the method you generally want a round body so water can flow smoothly and evenly, square bodies like the tunze comline arnt the ideal shape, you generally want a fairly tall skimmer to increase to contact time the air is exposed to water, anti turbulance plates give a smoother and more consistant internal flow with increased contact time (if done correctly) then you have things like cone skimmer etc which in theory help alot but i havnt really seen any difference in them over straight sided skimmers.

And once you think you have all this figured out and use the above like a checklist, skimmer can have all of the good features but just dont work well in practice. List a skimz sm121 on paper looks better than a KZ small but in reallity only performs 10% as well. So it also comes down to trusted names and designs and I hate to say it but you largely get what you pay for.

Despite all its short comings the Tunze comline actaully manages to perform well, there are alot better performing skimmers out there, but that isnt to say its a bad choice.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
thanks alot mate, makes a great deal of sense. I never want to come across like I am questioning you guys, but I like to ask questions when I dont understant as opposed to nodding blankly :P

Reading that, it sounds like the 9410 is probably more ideal?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
You should always question any advice you are given and make up your own mind off the back of it, you have plenty of time to play around so just keep reading and reading and once you get the sump dimensions create a short list of skimmers that fit in there and are within the spec range, then go around and read all of the reviews, have a look at peoples tank journals who are using them, how long they have been using them for and what they keep in their tank.

At this stage I think everyone is just offering suggestions to look at rather than a catagorically definative answer

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
in terms on Tunze Skimmers, yes the 9410 is regarded (by Tunze themselves) as being a step up from the Comline series.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Just had an email from the guys selling the CADE, really top service so far. Advised there is a 3 month waiting list on the 1200 due to high demand. Asked him if he needs payment or just a deposit to put my name down

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I've arranged for a three footer (100cm) to be brought to majestic, it will be unboxed over the weekend so you can have a look, touch, feel....lick

Speak to me if you do wanat to get your own and I'll organize a reefuge discount with Paul (been trying to broker this for a while)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If all goes well majestic will be the nsw sales point for them, bout time we can get some decent tanks in Sydney.

At the very least you can see that you like it before you buy it from Adam but if we can get a reefuge discount over the line it should be a good savings

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Just went to Majestic to see the CADE, Love it! Really happy. Sump looks good too, was hoping for a bit more room next to it for a RO resivoir but I will work something out.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
prices.jpg
Ok so this is where my budget is sitting at the moment, makes and models are not locked in of course but they are what I am currently looking at. The non essentials are Chiller (I say this as currently my 125l has had no temp issues, I get no sun in the room its in and even in summer the room is quite cold), dosing pump, would ideally like this but I need to look into it alot more before I make any decisions on it. In case anyone is concerned about the lighting, I have 2 S- Series modules already so it will be 150W which I think is enough, can always add another if I need to. Any thoughts? What do my prices seem like? They are just from scouring the net and comparing.