Tank Journal Archive

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Azza's Starfire mini beast
Introduction:
Hi, how are you doing?

System Objectives:
A lower cost tank than the last beast I had. To use energy efficient fittings as much as a possible to achieve this. The other large overhead I had before was ASW. A bucket of salt would last a month or there abouts. With a smaller system volume, I hope that I will be able to get back into collecting NSW to supplement the ASW and reduce overheads that way.

System Type:

Mixed Reef

Display System:

1370mm x 700mm x 600mm - Three side starfire; euro brace and center weir

Strike up Date:
By the end of January

Display Lighting:

2 x Illumagic Advance Blaze's. 1 x SPS 1 x LPS models.

Stand:
1370 x 700 x 950mm high gloss white

Sump:
3 x 2 x 16

System Water:

Red Sea Pro Salt and NSW

Display Water circulation:
3 x Tunze 6105 on multicontroller

Return Pump:
AquaBee up7000

Skimmer:
Bubble Magus BM220 CS2 Pro Skimmer

Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze Osmolator

Chemical Support:

Seachem Purigen, RowaCarbon, RowaPhos, Vertex Biopellets

ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a206_aaron_2233_newtank08dec.png

ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a206_aaron_2233_cabinet.png

ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a206_aaron_2233_NewSump07DEC.png

ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a206_aaron_2233_newstandpic.jpg

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
The RS Pro, dont know, havent used it yet .. :p the RS normal salt (blue bucket) yeah not bad, mixes alot quicker than the brightwell. The thing with the BW salt is the cost compared to RS.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
if anyone in Sydney is looking for a top notch Cab .. PM me and I can get one quotes/built for you. They are not the cheapest Cabs around but this is seriously better than any factory made Cab i've ever seen. The Piano White Finish on this unit is superb!

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
yep it's the same as Ming's .. poly coated facia, it's sooooo smooth to the touch, I have to stop touching it, wife is getting jealous!

I hope it will be a great build mate!

the cost was worth it, wont say how much, but worth every penny ;)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Now that is a nice cabinet. The notched rear legs are a great idea, would make it a hell of a lot stronger to. Another thing I like is the use of those interlocking mats under the tank, great idea me thinks. :) Pretty cool start.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
tank is arriving tomorrow :D picking it up in the arvo. After the xmas shennanigins are over, i'll start the painting of the back panel (blue) get the plumbing done and get a weir cover made ... I want to slide the 3 sided cover over the weir and the tunze's will keep it in place, then I can just remove the perspex to clean when I want to and at the same time, clean the tunzes :)

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Now that is a nice cabinet. The notched rear legs are a great idea, would make it a hell of a lot stronger to. Another thing I like is the use of those interlocking mats under the tank, great idea me thinks. :) Pretty cool start.
Its solid as, all legs & braces are done with proper joints, not just screws and glue; it's pretty much all connected together to give it the strength .. thats why I didn't need a centre brace on the front, the back didn't need it but he put it in just in case. A small detail I love is he put these hinge dampners on so the doors so they cant slam shut, as soon as the door hits the dampner the door closes soflty.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Good thought with the dampeners, We have the problem on the 8ft that if your in a hurry & just let the door go,or it gets away from you, the slam it makes startles the fish. :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Let me know if you need a hand moving the tank in, i have a family shin dig in the morning but am free in the afternoon