Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
here is another video of the maturing Premnas. They are colouring up well. A very uniform batch of fish, nearly all of the offspring from this pair are missing part of their middle bar.

the fish are still being kept communally. I am slowly giving these fish away to members of the refuge. If you have an interest in this species and live within the Brisbane area (and promise to give them a good home), send me a PM.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Here is an update on the little fish.
They are now really beginning to show their maroon colours. The banding is still white, but the yellow may take up a 1 year to come in. Although the central bands are not complete, the fish are still attractive. All abnormally formed fish (other than colouration) have been culled. How just waiting for the fish to get to saleable size and then they will be sold.

A video of the fish is provided below.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi All,
Literature states that Anemonefish imprint on the species of anemone that their parents inhabitat whilst still in the egg. This imprinting occurs towards the end of the egg incubation period. Literature also states that fish that hatch from eggs that have not been exposed to an anemone are significatnly less likely (or at least take significatnly longer to) to associate with anemones.

Out of interest, I placed 2 of the juvenile GB Premnas into a holding tank with a small BTA. Within seconds of introduction, the juvenile fish swam into the anemones tenticles without an obvious aclimation period (ie the period of time that the fish develops a coating in its skin to supress the anemone sitngs).

I repeated this process with several more of the juvenile fish and in every instance, the same behaviour was observed.

Below is a short clip of one of the juvenile fish in a small BTA. This fish drove out all of its competitors.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
No others currently but have just formed a breeding pair of six lined wrasses and intend on raising the young. Have chromis breeding but not raising them

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks. Your house would be a very interesting place to visit. Good luck with all your breeding endeavours.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi all, just an update with this batch of young. Most have now been given away or sold. Subsequent batches are in the process of being raised and there are now several threads on this forum that feature the babies raised in this thread.
I have retained a pair from this batch and will post pictures of their grown into a mated/adult pair of fish. However, given that this species matures at a relatively late age in comparison to other species of anemone fish, these updates will be relatively few and far between.
Glad to have been able to share this journey with all of you.