Reef Discussion

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Constant syphon overflow, the VaultBoy method.
My aim was to create a simple, cheap and effective way to get the water from my display tank into my sump without spreading it out all over my lounge room floor!

I searched and searched and found several designs for "over the wall", "HOB" and "constant syphon" over flow systems. It took me a while to understand the concept of how these things worked because of the many and varied designs, however they all work on the same principle. Once I figured out the principals of their operation it was very simple to design and build one. The principal behind it consists of a weir in the tank, another overflow box outside the tank, a syphon tube which equalizes the level of water in the weir and the overflow box and a drain tube which runs to the sump.

My first attempt to build one was just supposed to be a proof of concept model, after running it
for a while I decided it was good enough for my planted tank and left it in place. It is built
from 20mm high pressure P.V.C. fittings and pipe and easily handled 1000Lph but if you were to
upsize the pipe it will handle much much more. Coming soon, the VaultBoy overflow MkII.

Here is a diagram that shows the principal of operation.
ai1193.photobucket.com_albums_aa357_vaultboy83_Overflowdiagram2.png

And here is a photo showing the construction.
ai1193.photobucket.com_albums_aa357_vaultboy83_hoboverflow2.jpg

If there is anything you want to know about let me know I will give you all the detail I can.
Thanks for reading,
Jack.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Material cost = $0.00. I'm a plumber.

I would say approx $30 - $50 depending on where you buy your parts and what size you decide on. The MkII design I priced at the local hardware store all fittings and pipe came to $51.80 using 2 x 40mm syphon tubes, a 50mm "overflow box" and 2 x 25mm drain tubes. Just need to add a 25mm ball valve to one of the drains for tuning purposes.

Hopefully I have enough time at work tomorrow that I can order the parts and get started on building MkII.

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
would this be better than getting holes drilled into tank?? i m at that point i need to either drill or do something like this

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Ideally getting holes drilled is better, I decided to do this instead of drilling because its cheaper to build this than to replace my tank. If I was building a new tank I would drill it but for a retro-fit you cant beat a syphon overflow.

I have the tools, know how and the ability to drill a hole in just about anything, however when it came time to drill a hole in my glass tank..... I just couldnt do it.

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
my tank has no holes in it now i bought second hand like the and not sure what to do i like this idea

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Well stay tuned for MkII it will be better, flow faster and quieter than the original, and in my case it worked out cheaper than buying 4 bulkheads to run all my pipes through the glass... let alone buying a glass holesaw. The 4 bulkheads came to nearly $60 and then I needed to build the beananimal setup and return line on top of that so would have been close to $80 when all is said and done. If the MkII comes in on budget it should cost less than $60 and then prob $10 for my return.

Ill take some photos of the beginning of the construction tonight hopefully.

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
It should start back on it own if pump goes off than back on buy the look off it in my head is that right i need 40 drain and a 20 drain 20 will be constant flow to my Skimmer and the 40 to my sump for extra flow

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
It will start on its own as long as the syphon is not lost... That is the only downside to these overflolw systems, but with some careful planning and a clever design the chances of losing the syphon are almost nil.

I built the MkII tonight but its a bit late for photos coz it takes me ages to upload them. I am only working half a day tomorrow so in the afternoon I hope to finish the return plumbing and mix up some more brine and get this sump up and running!

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
ok i have play making one up and just could not get it to work only thing i did different 40mm pipe and did not 90 bend on top of the tee

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
can you put up a pic of yours and ill try to help.

Did I mention that you need to get ALL of the air out of the syphon tube?

I didn't get a chance to do anything on the project today far far too busy! Ill will definately get something up tomorrow

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
i only pushed it together didn't glue it at all just in case it didn't work that prob one thing i not sure if i had them too close to the same height ill try to get a few pics for u what is that green tape at the top of the bend

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
Ok drilled a hole and put a little hose on it and got all air out it worked a dream now time to build it to suit tank