Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have been working for a week to find a bug in the coding relating to the saving of variables to EEPROM (permanent storage). It would save 1/3 of the variables but not the rest - I was using the EEPROMex library and maybe I was doing something wrong (I don't think so because some of the variables were being saved) or maybe I am running out of flash and SRAM memory :eek .

Anyway, this morning I reverted to some low level code I have used previously, removed the EEPROMex library and everything works as it should :)

Time to move onto some other unfinished parts....

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have also been trying to buy some parts so I can put a few of these together if required.

I originally bought the screen/shield form ITeadstudio - the combined cost (not including postage) was around $40 US. However, when I went to order a few weeks ago they had no shields in stock so I had to look elsewhere. (I note that today they have the shields back in stock, but the screens are out of stock :rolleyes).

Deal Extreme was my next landing spot - ordered some screens/shields for around $34 US combined. Everything looked good until last week I received an email stating that the shields were out of stock but that the screens had been posted :banghead They have refunded the cost of the shields.

So, I had to start looking again ... I have subsequently ordered some shields from AliExpress - the combined cost of the screen/shield will now be around $33.50.

Hopefully all these parts will work together nicely as quality control is not necessarily a top priority with some of these Chinese manufacturers.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There are lots of threads like this scattered all over the net which eventually come to nothing - either the OP finished what they started and didn't update the thread or it all just got too hard and the project never got finished.

Over the last week or so I have been starting to feel like I am in the latter category o_0

I currently have over 3,000 lines of code :eek with a few hundred more to go .....

But, the good news is that, after having a few days away from it during the week, I have made some good progress over the last few days.

I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel ......

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
There are lots of threads like this scattered all over the net which eventually come to nothing - either the OP finished what they started and didn't update the thread or it all just got too hard and the project never got finished.

Over the last week or so I have been starting to feel like I am in the latter category o_0

I currently have over 3,000 lines of code :eek with a few hundred more to go .....

But, the good news is that, after having a few days away from it during the week, I have made some good progress over the last few days.

Nice work Shane. Looking forward to it.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria

We know how much time & effort you have put into this project @MagicJ.
Even tho we all want one (need one!) 3,000 lines is a lot to write & test.
Take all the time you need lol, cause we are not going anywhere. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
For anyone that is still alive, the programming of the core functions is just about finished. There is a bit of tidying up to be done and a couple of minor bugs to be ironed out but that is about it.

I will do a few short video's of the main functions so you can get an idea of what this does.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's run a bit over time :rolleyes My guess is that I have spent an average of at least 10 hours/week since the start of January + more some weekends + about 15 hours over Easter - about 180 hours all up :eek

It is easy to see how some of these projects don't get finished.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Have to admire you for seeing it through @MagicJ, & your right, with the amount of work that goes into a build like this, it is a wonder that many get finished. There were not of here that have been following this thread that could help you with it either.

Job well done mate :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Part 1 - Time/Day

Note - the main screen still needs some work as I will be adding a moonlight with the phases showing on the screen together with some temp measurements.

This screen is used to set the time and day which, as shown in the video is fairly easy to do :)

You also have the option to select 12 or 24 hour time for display purposes - all settings used within the controller are based on a 24 hour clock.

There is also a one click option to change to or from daylight savings time.

Touch the 'Floppy Disk' symbol to save the settings or the 'Orange Back Arrow' to return to the Settings Screen.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Part 2 - Channel Colour Selector.

Note - the colours showing up in the video's are close, but they do look much better in reality. The video from my camera is also a bit dodgy so I might pull out the old video camera at some stage to see if I can improve the quality.

This device is able to control 10 channels - they are number 0 to 9. I chose this numbering system rather than 1 to 10 so that I don't have to deal with a 2 digit number on what is a very limited screen size ;)

There are a few different places where the channels are displayed on screen so to make them easily identifiable you are able to select the individual channel colour.

I have provided 8 preset colours - Neutral White, Cool White, Blue, Royal Blue, Cyan, Turquoise, Violet and Red. These colours should cover most situations, but I have also provided 2 User selectable colours.

The 2 columns on the left represent the led channels (0-9) - the currently selected channel is outlined in red. The 2 columns on the right represent the channel colours - the 2 bottom ones are for the User selected colours.

Touch the required led channel on the left and then touch the required colour for that channel on the right - all done :)

The User selectable colours operate in the standard RGB colour space with the individual channels controlled via sliders. This is a good site if you want to find some specific RGB values http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm .

Touch the 'Floppy Disk' symbol to save the settings or the 'Orange Back Arrow' to return to the Settings Screen.

Any feedback, good or bad, appreciated.