Reef Discussion

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
When I did this mod I didn't use sand because I was scared it may get into the pump.I used the media baskets cut up and separated for baffles Also use a better type of carbon than the one the hagen comes with-rather use something like rowacarb. Remember also to periodically to check your impeller shaft as it is steel and eventually all steel rusts in saltwater

You do have to cover the side that sits up against the tank so that you don't get light spillage- i used a piece of aquarium background that I had lying around but use whatever you prefer

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
thanks firebird ill probably just paint it i dont see a point in preserving it if im already mangling it lol i just dno how well the vinyl would hold on plastic over time.

ive heard a lot of people discourage DSBs and sand at all as it will probably not work properly in this type or application and potentially become a sink for nutrients

i was going to use the media basket for baffles but was thinking id throw the acrylic in a) to b different and b) i have a superstition it may work better.

sorry there hasnt been an update yet im still waiting for the acrylic and still trying to go with a final design.

also is it necessary to raise the LR with egg crate?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Not really in the AC-also you'll get debris accumulating in between the egg crate spaces

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
so the above pic shows the way the flow works and i have my acrylic curtosy of Global Signs - Smithfield, they even let me borrow their scorer.

any ideas on where to place my baffle(s)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hey aussie you mean from floor up or one from the top of the filter one from the bottom like a bubble trap?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
decided to man up and be my own man lol just decided to go with something worst case i can just change it

so here we go:

CUTTING THE ACRYLIC FOR A BAFFLE

I'm using 3mm clear acrylic
3mm.JPG

I then choose to use a notch already in the filter as a guide for my baffle where i can rest against it to make it easier also
Baffle Pos.JPG

now i saw the filter on the acrylic for a rough guide, note that the filter is slanted and also rounded as well as it has its own
thickness..im no handyman so took me a while to realise why i kept cutting and it was too big, but must admit it was surprisingly
easy compared to what people were telling me, so if you need help cutting this stuff lol holla atcha boy.
DSC01767.JPG
DSC01769.JPG

the i scoared it (think thats how you spell it) using the scoarer i borrowed from global signs, but found that it was good to use that for the guide line
but then more effective using a stanley knife to go deeper and deeper (queue zohan quote 'diggin that fragoleh hole deeeper.
DSC01771.JPG

and SNAPP - requires a bit of force but then snaps off :)
DSC01772.JPG
DSC01773.JPG

heres a few pics of my re-measuring and the cutters i used on the first piece to trip the poor cut but then youll see my final piece was perfect so heres a bunch of pics and you see me beat the monster...also where i scratched the filter a bit :( i hate trying to be a perfectionist and slightly impatient
DSC01774.JPG
DSC01775.JPG
DSC01776.JPG
DSC01777.JPG
DSC01778.JPG
DSC01779.JPG

heres me washing my good piece after peeling off the protection on it...i was surprised how pefect all the edges were all dead straight and smooth but the filter beinf rounded i have to rely on a bit more silicone to cover the gaps :)
oh n i was trying to show off my new toy sony tx10 by washing it too lol pics didn't work out though
DSC01780.JPG
DSC01781.JPG
DSC01782.JPG
DSC01783.JPG

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
SILICONE THE BAFFLE AND CAGE (to prevent macro flowing into tank)

the baffle in place...the scraper i used to clean up the silicone was an algae scraper had a pack of 6 :)
DSC01768.JPG
DSC01784.JPG
DSC01785.JPG
DSC01792.JPG

then i cut down the cage for a nice perfectionate (my new word) fit...not siliconed yet
DSC01786.JPG
DSC01787.JPG
DSC01788.JPG
DSC01789.JPG
DSC01790.JPG

i need your thoughts on this...you think its necessary or no?
DSC01791.JPG

this is it for now until tomorrow when i do the cage and a water hold test :)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Will help stop macroalgae going into the pump area so leave it there-presume talking about the bit of basket on the acrylic baffle.
Looking good

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
yeah...so i should silicone it there?

i did a leak test and most was perfect except one bottom corner where i knew id have an issue :) pretty happy so far more updates tonight

so far just reapplied silicone

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Cyanoacrylate- I use loctite gel when i can get it but worked out that CorAffix is actually cheaper than buying lots of small Loctites -also great to stick corals down

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
so i havent updated as i still have a slow leak lol i think this is the last one and will be gone by tomorrow then i can continue

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
So a bit of an update...

heres the sponge i cut to size to fit in the first section to pic up any detrius and help clean the tank

DSC01795.JPG

this is me running it on an old school recycle bin i hear you should run it for 24hrs

DSC01797.JPG

looks like its gonna be very flow-tatious

DSC01796.JPG