Reef Discussion

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
Waterchanges will suffice, up to a point. I'm getting to the point now (I'm suspecting my oversized hammer that is quickly outgrowing the space I have for it) where i would have to do a 20% WC every 2 days to keep up with Calcium especially. I only want to do weekly changes so I test every now and then, do some quick calculations and dose using Brightwells Nano Code A & B (more A than B). All part of the learning process. I think I'm getting to the stage that when I get a larger tank eventually and have a permanent setup I won't be daunted by dosing pumps etc etc.

My advice would be to test every week just before you do a WC. If something is becoming depleted, get it to the right rate, test just after a WC, test the day after, work out the rate of loss and dose accordingly. Then test again!

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Solid advice @webber555, anything with a decent size stony skeleton is going to chew up calcium to grow. I'm going to try to avoid it for as long as I can; sticking to zoas, rics and shrooms until I've fallen into a successful routine.

When I step up to LPS/SPS I'll have take a serious look at dosing, but by then I'll hopefully have a bigger setup so economies of scale can kick in.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I only just seen this thread, so apologies if you've already worked out a solution. Water changes are a must, as they export nutrient built up inside the tank (and help water down whats left). For a tank to work without water changes your population density would have to be worked out to the bacterial capacity of your filtration media (available surface area for bacteria to collonate) and feeding input (to work out what the waste output would be). The simplest dosing schedule with the Brightwell products is to use LiquidReef and Replenish, and maybe if you really wanted to, dose Iodion. You may still find that even sticking with zoo's, rics and shrooms you may need to dose a trace element especially if you have a high density population of them, tho this depends on your water change schedule. Just throwing my 2c worth in

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Hey Chimaera! So you got one of the marine magic pumps? How long did it take for it to get to AUS and how much was the postage? :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hey Chimaera! So you got one of the marine magic pumps? How long did it take for it to get to AUS and how much was the postage? :)
Postage included in the price, and delivery was about a week I think!

Have to admit ... I haven't even got mine running yet, always seems to be on my 'to do' list.