Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Finding the same thing as niCd - now that it's winter and the heater is on, evaporation has increased. Haven't measured it yet, but throughout summer it was 9L a week on a 180 litre tank

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Heaps of surface movement here for me (8x2x2). If I have the ducted fan on (fish tank room gets hot/humid without it) it can be as much as 20L a day, altough 20L every 2nd day seems more the norm for me.

DAY1

Jun 8, 2012
Brisbane
I use aprox 8 to 10 ltrs a day on a 7 x 2.5 x 2.5 system , Plenty of surface movement , i use more in winter when the humidity is low , In summer with a high humidity i use only 4 to 6 ltrs a day , it has more to do with the humidity than heaters or water movement IMHO ;)

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
I wouldn't say mine is turbulent, but i do have a powerhead slightly pointed to the surface that gives a decent agitation, plus I have an overflow weir that keeps the surface skimmed pretty well, but adds to the overall surface/air area

V

'vspec'

Yea DavidS hit it on the head, many factors contribute.

Walm water molecules exchanging with cooler atmo will do it every time, add agitation, and you have the vehicle.