Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Fish-stock All Dead :'(
Woke up this morning and checked up on the tank like usual and if it had to be something that'd ruin your day.. It'd be this. It's been abit over two weeks now my fish including my clowns were covered in a white dust.. I initially thought it was white spot.. But this time it was different.. I'm thinking it's marine velvet or a bad case of brooklynella..They looked like this for too long.. Over two weeks.. and I'm sure the white spot cycle isn't that long as they drop off the fish within a week or so. Well my fish each week looked worst than the next.. They started to get all crazy patches all along their body and cuts across their head like. Well that concludes all my fish stock.. Here's some pictures.. The female got battered the worst.. This tank will be fishless for atleast 6 weeks..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Sorry for your losses.

Personally I'd leave it for 8 weeks or longer, whilst setting up a QT and getting new fish now. Give me a good QT session.

I never was a big believer in QT, but I am about to do it to my DT and it would be easier if my DT was fishless like yours now.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
heartbreaking :(

Did you raise it on here when you first noticed? Any pictures of what it looked like earlier on?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Sorry for your losses.

Personally I'd leave it for 8 weeks or longer, whilst setting up a QT and getting new fish now. Give me a good QT session.

I never was a big believer in QT, but I am about to do it to my DT and it would be easier if my DT was fishless like yours now.
Thank you. Yeah you're totally spot on there, it's worth qt fish.. When adding to a running system.. It's just odd.. That I've had the same fish for the past 2 years..

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
heartbreaking :(

Did you raise it on here when you first noticed? Any pictures of what it looked like earlier on?
No I didn't sorry as i took it as white spot. As they've had it before many times Wand easily fought it off with no trouble or medications. They were covered in a blanket of whtie dust on the entire body.. Hence why I assumed white spot but it was on them for over 2 weeks.. So that led me to know it wasn't white spot as the cycle is totally off.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I gotta stop looking at those pics, they look so sad :(
Yeah dude, I can openly admit I'm actually pretty upset about the pair of clowns passing away like this. I've had them since they were juvenile.. The female was about 1.5cm and the male a tad smaller.. I'd frozen them in the freezer. I'm gonna put them into clear acrylic castings.. As I want to keep them. Not gonna bin them or throw them in the drain.

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Aw man, that's such a tragedy.......I recently purchased a pair of snowflakes, that were DOA. Lost $135+ in the transaction, as the seller ONLY returned the $ for the fish, but not the postage and quarantine inspection fee etc... was absolutely devastated. That sucks !

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Sounds like a heartbreaking day :( Especially for someone who takes such meticulous care of their tank. :(

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Aw man, that's such a tragedy.......I recently purchased a pair of snowflakes, that were DOA. Lost $135+ in the transaction, as the seller ONLY returned the $ for the fish, but not the postage and quarantine inspection fee etc... was absolutely devastated. That sucks !
Yeah big time, I love snowflake clowns, they're a very unique variant of clowns. Ah that's a big bummer man.. Atleast the seller refunded the fish cost.. So you weren't totally empty handed.. Those snowflakes would of been a stunner in your farm of rare coloured haddonis.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Sounds like a heartbreaking day :( Especially for someone who takes such meticulous care of their tank. :(
Yeah holly you know it. Yep that's what I'm known for along side fragging everything.. I religiously look after my tank.. I check on my tank and feed my fish before I brush my teeth and have breakfast every morning.. I spot feed and clean the tank every 2 days .

Like you said.. I meticulously look after my tank.. Pump gets cleaned every week..Rock scape turkey based.. Sand stirred up..You know all the stuff you do weekly or fortnightly.. I do every second day because the tanks small.. :/

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Sorry to hear about your loss mate, if it helps I can donate my pair of B&W's to help you get started again.

I moved them down to the garage tank a few months back when they started trying to host my clam after a few years. I was trying to sell them but would be happy to give them to a good home, I can keep them until your ready as well.