Tank Journal Archive

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
I Think It's Time....
for fish and corals!

Which is where you guys come in. By the end of the day I'll have a list of that ideally I'd like to put in this little glass box. I'm not sure what's readily available in Australia so if there's something there that I can't get can you guys let me know? I still chuckle at the price differences here. Back home rics go for 25-50$. Here they are in the hundreds. A 6 line is a 10/15 dollar fish back home. Here it cost me 40. On the other hand, a frag of any sort of Acan with 5-6 mouths is going to run nearly $100 back home. Here they are way cheeper!

But don't get me started on the price of shrimp here vs back home....200+ for a blood shrimp here...o_0

Anyways. Mainly SPS...but I know some LPS and the like will try to find their way in here as well.

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
sorry to thread hijack....but where's 'back home' i would like to change homes now based on those prices haha

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
haha Canada.

It's a two way street though! Some fish that are readily available here (and not that pricey I might add!) go for 600+ over there!

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
I've got my heart kind of set on just 2 fish for this tank. Clowns are over rated but the husband likes them. They can go into the 180 when it's time. Or maybe here until they grow....ugh.
But the two I'm hoping are available here and not punch in the balls expensive are:

Possum Wrasse (hopefully white stripped)
Swales or Swissguard Basslet (one or the other, not both)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I've got my heart kind of set on just 2 fish for this tank. Clowns are over rated but the husband likes them. They can go into the 180 when it's time. Or maybe here until they grow....ugh.
But the two I'm hoping are available here and not punch in the balls expensive are:

love the thinking out of the box....i love the swissguard and possum.

what other fish were you deciding between?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research

You've instantly become my favourite person!! :p White banded possum wrasse (wetmorella albofasciata) and Tanaka's possum wrasse (wetmorella tanaka) and wicked little fish and such awesome looking fish!! They're reasonably expensive and don't come up very often but well worth it and if you've only got peaceful fish in the tank you'll get the most out of them!!
As for those basslets, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think we're able to get them here. I asked to put in a special order at Reeflection's for a pair of swissguards and I don't think it's going to happen, they still haven't found a source for them to be brought over. I know that both the candy basslets and swissguard basslets make it to Singapore so I haven't completely lost hope in getting some!!
Blackcap's and royal gramma's are the most widely available basslets but try and find some!! I would love to hear if you do!! :D

As for corals, here's what I would be adding to the tank:
Birdsnest
Montipora (plating (preferably capricornis) & encrusting)
Lot's of acropora millepora :D
Some assorted acro's
Finally a really stunning maxi-mini nem or rock flower nem!! :)

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
You've instantly become my favourite person!! :p White banded possum wrasse (wetmorella albofasciata) and Tanaka's possum wrasse (wetmorella tanaka) and wicked little fish and such awesome looking fish!! They're reasonably expensive and don't come up very often but well worth it and if you've only got peaceful fish in the tank you'll get the most out of them!!
As for those basslets, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think we're able to get them here. I asked to put in a special order at Reeflection's for a pair of swissguards and I don't think it's going to happen, they still haven't found a source for them to be brought over. I know that both the candy basslets and swissguard basslets make it to Singapore so I haven't completely lost hope in getting some!!
Blackcap's and royal gramma's are the most widely available basslets but try and find some!! I would love to hear if you do!! :D

As for corals, here's what I would be adding to the tank:
Birdsnest
Montipora (plating (preferably capricornis) & encrusting)
Lot's of acropora millepora :D
Some assorted acro's
Finally a really stunning maxi-mini nem or rock flower nem!! :)
Im not against black caps or royals, but worried my lighting might be a bit too intense for the black caps as they are a bit of a deeper water fish?

Royals are amazing, had them in every tank I had back home. But they were also only 15$ haha

The possum is kind of a must have for me, and I'm willing to pay for it. Time to start calling some shops and seeing what can be done.

You and I are almost identical for coral choices!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Im not against black caps or royals, but worried my lighting might be a bit too intense for the black caps as they are a bit of a deeper water fish?

Royals are amazing, had them in every tank I had back home. But they were also only 15$ haha

The possum is kind of a must have for me, and I'm willing to pay for it. Time to start calling some shops and seeing what can be done.

You and I are almost identical for coral choices!
Black cap's should be okay if you have plenty of hiding spaces and darker caves :) Gramma will have no issues, mine loves my tank :D and that's all sps based! :)
Possum's are awesome fish!! :) Try Reeflection's, Deer Park and Williamstown as I know they've all had them and can get them :)
As for the swissguards, we can try and bully Ernie into ordering some for us :p Although I'll be going to singapore at the end of the year maybe I can smuggle some candy basslets back :rolleyes lol
It's a solid choice of corals ;) maybe some zoa's here and there to cover spots too.

@MagicJ I was onto this like flies to dog shit when I saw basslets being mentioned :p
@Sam Parker I think you might be right hahaha

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Black cap's should be okay if you have plenty of hiding spaces and darker caves :) Gramma will have no issues, mine loves my tank :D and that's all sps based! :)
Possum's are awesome fish!! :) Try Reeflection's, Deer Park and Williamstown as I know they've all had them and can get them :)
As for the swissguards, we can try and bully Ernie into ordering some for us :p Although I'll be going to singapore at the end of the year maybe I can smuggle some candy basslets back :rolleyes lol
It's a solid choice of corals ;) maybe some zoa's here and there to cover spots too.

@MagicJ I was onto this like flies to dog shit when I saw basslets being mentioned :p
@Sam Parker I think you might be right hahaha
Deer park is closest to me and I've had nothing but great experiences with Dave, so I'll try there first!

Don't have too many caves so I might look at a Royal as a "just in case" option.

My tank at the shop is almost all zoas (save for a couple rics and a hammer) so might skip out on those but I'm really loving scollys and Acans at the moment. I think with the way the powerheads are set up I can get them in the front on the bottom without too much direct flow. And there is the perfect rock on the right island that when the time comes should be a good spot for a nem!

Rainbow everything else!

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
would be aweome to see a coral goby in there on top of a monti or sps coral
So long as the little shit doesn't eat the corals thats a definite possibility! I had a citron who was all "acro polyps are my favourite! Nom nom nom"

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I unfortunately lost my Royal Gramma 5 months ago and he was replaced with a Blue Assessor. Quite a shy fish that hides a lot, but gets on swimmingly with my agro midget clown and they have completely separate territories.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Try Keysborough Aquarium, he used to get them semi-regularly a few years back. He was saying the other day that he doesn't import much any more but still can, worth a try.